FJ40 Fuel Leak/Flooding on startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have a 1977 FJ40 pretty much all stock 41,000 original mile with 2F with California emissions (smog pump). I have recently acquired the vehicle and notice on startup when I pump the gas 2-3 times, pull choke to full and turn the key. My 40 won’t start immediately it cranks for a few moments then starts. When this happens I notice a fluid coming from the exhaust/intake manifold I touch it with my fingers and it smells like fuel. I will try and provide a picture or video of what’s happening to show it better. If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing things please let me know. Im assuming it’s flooding just trying to figure out the cause. The photo with the 2 areas circled is where the leak(presumably fuel) collects and drips from. The photo with the circled section with an arrow leading to the leak shows where I believe the leak is starting.

IMG_3534.jpeg

IMG_3535.jpeg

That looks like a lot of gas. I don't have a OEM carb. Float level, needle valve comes to mind. Are all the screws holding the carb pieces together tight and on good gaskets?

Try a different starting sequence. Crank it over a few times to fill the carb. Step on the gas pedal to the floor, then pull the choke on full, release the gas pedal, then crank it over to start.

leave choke open/off , that much gas usually indicates a stuck needle which is letting the fuel pump run fuel full up in bowl out the vent and down the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom