Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Realized that I haven't given any updates in the past few days. Not much really has been going on in the shop. Sunday was me waiting for Zac to finish his rear quarter body job. I did get some minor things fixed on the engine and fuel tank that I wanted to do.. Here is an example of why it didn't get finished.
20210110_161705.jpg

Not a big deal. We have been working hard for the past few months. Some **** off time was due.

Monday I came up and he no progress was made either. Really just hung out for a bit. Made fun of Zac for looking like Billy Ray Cyrus. Good luck on unseeing that @DangerNoodle.
FB_IMG_1610421270174.jpg

Yesterday I took the night away from the shop to go on the hunt for plastic pieces for the trim and door handles. Had fun giving the Toyota parts guys a challenge to see what they could order.

Today I came up and the rear fender was finished up.... good job Zac. So that means I will be taking the next few days off because IT'S TIME TO LAY DOWN SOME PAINT! Since you got to give 5 hrs between coats, it will be a weekend job. I decided to clean up the make-shift paint booth. Dust and sandpaper all over. Good thing I ain't got s*** to do to the vehicle the next couple days. Got a text an hour ago from my buddy, they are in the hospital and that means my God-Daughter might be making her appearance.

Realized that I haven't given any updates in the past few days. Not much really has been going on in the shop. Sunday was me waiting for Zac to finish his rear quarter body job. I did get some minor things fixed on the engine and fuel tank that I wanted to do.. Here is an example of why it didn't get finished.View attachment 2552625
Not a big deal. We have been working hard for the past few months. Some f*** off time was due.

Monday I came up and he no progress was made either. Really just hung out for a bit. Made fun of Zac for looking like Billy Ray Cyrus. Good luck on unseeing that @DangerNoodle.View attachment 2552642

Yesterday I took the night away from the shop to go on the hunt for plastic pieces for the trim and door handles. Had fun giving the Toyota parts guys a challenge to see what they could order.

Today I came up and the rear fender was finished up.... good job Zac. So that means I will be taking the next few days off because IT'S TIME TO LAY DOWN SOME PAINT! Since you got to give 5 hrs between coats, it will be a weekend job. I decided to clean up the make-shift paint booth. Dust and sandpaper all over. Good thing I ain't got s*** to do to the vehicle the next couple days. Got a text an hour ago from my buddy, they are in the hospital and that means my God-Daughter might be making her appearance.

The funny thing is, Zac looks just like one of my college roommates.

Billy Ray got around back in the day apparently. 😆

Updates....updates....updates. IT'S painted. Got a few touch up spots to do. All the doors, hood, fenders, engine side of the front wheel wells, rear hatch, rear tailgate, inside trim, tub, and undercarriage DONE. The only real painting left will be the classic Ironman stripes for a little flash.
20210121_180328.jpg
20210121_180341.jpg
20210121_180406.jpg
20210121_180453.jpg
20210121_180542.jpg

Updates....updates....updates. IT'S painted. Got a few touch up spots to do. All the doors, hood, fenders, engine side of the front wheel wells, rear hatch, rear tailgate, inside trim, tub, and undercarriage DONE. The only real painting left will be the classic Ironman stripes for a little flash. View attachment 2560817View attachment 2560818View attachment 2560819View attachment 2560820View attachment 2560821

That looks great. Did the liner hide all the bondo sins pretty well?

When are you planning on stuffing the body back on?
Either tomorrow or Saturday evening. I want to do the input seal on my transfer before I put the body on. Just easier to get all the those bolts while it's off.

Either tomorrow or Saturday evening. I want to do the input seal on my transfer before I put the body on. Just easier to get all the those bolts while it's off.

Just a little bit easier, eh. Let me know if you want some help.

Just a little bit easier, eh. Let me know if you want some help.
I never turn down anyone offering help. You are always welcome to stop by. We are always open to talk FJs and work.

Tonight we got frame pushed under it. Pretty close. Got string down through all the body mount bolts so we can get fine tuned tomorrow and set down. Replaced my fuel level sending unit so we don't have to mess with it after the body is down. It was nice to see it start looking like a 60 again.
20210122_201934.jpg

Also cleaned out all the chalk in the rain gutters. Got them rust proof treated. Once the chassis saver is dry in those, I will be putting liquid nail in my to replace the old chalk.

Well tonight started off great. Laid down some mean chalk in the rain gutters. Then started sanding down some imperfections in the paint. Now it is a bed liner so 220 should just smooth it out.
20210123_204420.jpg

But had on a door and the rear tail gate it started chunking off.
20210123_204219.jpg

20210123_204211.jpg

Well now I get to sand them down again till I find where the primer and paint held. Not going to look at this as a bad thing though. Just means I gotta fix now vs having a tree branch or rock scrape it off. It is like wheeling the vehicle after doing a build on it. Gotta test it out and see what breaks so you can do it better.

Well I took a night off yesterday. I came to do some sanding to find that Zac decided to decorate my new paint job :banana:. Figured out it was the primer. So lots of sanding ahead on the rear tailgate and the one door.
20210125_185845.jpg

20210125_185904.jpg

Well today I had to go to the dealership and buy all new body mounts. So now I gotta work around that till they come in. So today I focused on some wiring. Thought I had it figured out till I plugged the steering column in. Got some burnt wires on the steering column side from when the wiring harness melted. It's a good thing Zac has more 60 parts than he can sell. Pull the wiring off of one the steering columns he has and replace those tomorrow.
20210130_192619.jpg

I did manage to drill the filler neck and put the hose for the diesel heater I'm installing in. It will just run into the tank so I don't have put a second diesel container in the 60. I put rubber fuel on the end of the plastic line so the weight will hold on the bottom on the tank.
20210130_192133.jpg

I also redid the plumbing on the heater core lines..... again. Just put a manual shut off on it so it won't flow through it during the summer time. Put on top of the engine so it easier to get to. 😏
20210130_191928.jpg

I replaced the plastic turbo boost line to the gage with a copper one. Got that ran through the fire wall. Then I decided to try something new. I got a hole in the dash for a choke cable that needs to be filled. I figured why not try hooking the choke cable up to the go go lever on the pump. Maybe be able to use it to set an ideal while off roading or on the highway. Why not try it?
20210130_193852.jpg

So tomorrow will be all day wiring. Get the column harness replaced. Then make sure that I haven't lost my ability to read wiring schematics properly by making sure lights turn on. See if the fuel gage will work now with a new fuel level in it. Probably best to tackle it while the body is still not attached to the frame. I will also be running wires to the rear for the fridge my buddy got me for Christmas and 2 12V outlets in the rear.

Well I am going to do an early update because I am putting the steering column back together and wanted to show the difference between the switches.

So today I got the wiring figured out. Lots of Ohms testing so I had Buddhist philosophy podcasts playing in the background.OOOHHHHHMMMMsss. The ignition switch is all wired in. I used the black/white wire that goes to the neutral safety switch for the supply wire to as the wire to pull back the fuel shutoff solenoid. Since it only gets power on in the start position. I then used the black/yellow wire as the hold for the shutoff solenoid. So I got all that soldered in.
Screenshot_20210131-104019_Samsung Internet.jpg

Once that was tested and checked out, I got into the lights and wiper wires. Those were the ones that got all toasty. No surprise that they weren't working. So the red/yellow (headlights) wire
Screenshot_20210131-105021_Samsung Internet.jpg
got so hot it melted the solder off of the terminal.
20210131_172326.jpg

You can see how hot all the wires got. Of course that led to more problems. So inside the switch you can see the terminals inside got hot.
20210131_171114.jpg

Now inside of the switch is a plastic piece that helps push all terminals together to connect. Well it melted that plastic piece to point of non-existent.
20210131_170611.jpg

So fully ingaged you can that it won't touch the top terminal. So I grabbed the 62 steering column since the lights and wiper wires are the same (only the ignition switch wires are different on the 62 because of the electric fuel pump). I was going to post a picture of the good switch but only got a 5 picture limit. So I post in the next reply.

Here for your viewing pleasure
20210131_171049.jpg
20210131_171053.jpg

I also switched out the horn button. I WILL FINALLY HAVE A HORN AGAIN. You can see the difference. I was going to do the classic .22 shell trick, but why not do it the right way.
20210131_173928.jpg

Still no body mounts from the dealership. I did decide to dig in my couch and pull out another $7500 towards the project. Going to hit up @TRAIL TAILOR and order some that fancy space steel trim pieces he makes. Going to get the AC bezel and B pillar trim from him. I also decided that since my buddy got me a fridge for Gossamer that I am going to hook up a dual battery system and get lockers for the beast. Also going to hit Marlin Crawler and get their headlights. Then do the rear brake disk conversion with the transfercase parking brake.

So tonight's work......
I took the exhaust off. We removed the heat wrap around that was around the down pipe. Good God. The wrap held a lot of moisture so I am going to take it to work tomorrow and sand bast it. Fingers crossed it doesn't lead to holes.
20210204_194648.jpg
I know J custom made that down pipe so I don't want to see my fab guy to get a new one made. Also in the bend of the tailpipe I found a hole. So I cleaned and welded that hold up. Did I mention before that I hate the welder Zac has? No gas and having to use flux wire makes want to never touch a welder again. But it's done and better than trying to use an exhaust sleeve.
20210204_194551.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom