Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I started a new project. Got my hands on a virtually rust free tub from AZ. It was a good running 62 (don't crucify us for it). My buddy wanted the frame/ wiring and I wanted the tub. Been digging into it for a couple weeks now with the help of my buddy. So far we pulled the guts out, pulled the tub, and currently treating it right in all the right ways. @DangerNoodle stopped by to check out the project. The end goal is make it 100%. So far we have stripped the paint down. Going to Monstaline it (color DOA). I got some Chassis Saver from Monstaliner and have been going full ham on it. Hand painted all metal spots on the tub floor, door jams, firewall, and window seams. I went through and reapplied silicone to all the seams in the door and windows. My buddy (he does upholstery professionally. Rocky Mountain Uphostery if you wanna check out his work) will be doing all new Essex carpet w/ rubber backing and a neoprene headliner (all charcoal interior). Going to sound deaden the whole tub. Today I cleaned the rear fender wells and hand painted the Achilles heals. Oh of course here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure ;)
20201023_133140.jpg
20201023_133153.jpg
20201023_133208.jpg
20201023_175346.jpg
20201023_133210.jpg
20201023_133140.jpg

Last edited:
And the exterior color with the interior carpet
20201029_151540.jpg

Wow that is a nice looking tub. Dont roll this one

are you going to do anything about the super janky suspension while it's all apart?

are you going to do anything about the super janky suspension while it's all apart?
So I am going to work on this. Got to decide if I want to remove a leaf or get a different leaf pack. Also need to figure out how to put the rear sway back on. Those custom built perches are going to take some time to figure out because they change the center of gravity so much on the vehicle. I haven't gotten to that bridge yet.

you of all people know ya just gotta send it sometimes.

:flipoff2:
Unfortunately I can't say that it rolled because I sent it 😕. But oh well, this gives me something to do besides sitting in my house smoking crack and watching the political dumpster fire.

So I am going to work on this. Got to decide if I want to remove a leaf or get a different leaf pack. Also need to figure out how to put the rear sway back on. Those custom built perches are going to take some time to figure out because they change the center of gravity so much on the vehicle. I haven't gotten to that bridge yet.

While the body is off is the time to flip that frame over and just torch everything off

While the body is off is the time to flip that frame over and just torch everything off
Well that isn't a bad idea. I don't know if it will work with time constraints though. I am doing this now at a friend's shop and he has 3 projects behind mine to include his personal cruiser. There is always more than 1 way to lick a cat. Once I get the tub off the other one I will be able to get a good look at what I am working with. I will also bring my roommate along to get an engineer opinion. I know we all work on this s*** and cuss engineers out all day long. There is a way of getting this done. I know that there are constraints. Time and funds. Already spent over the 8k and still going. So somewhere between time, funds, and getting what I want there is a happy medium. Maybe just adding better shocks than 5100s or adding more weight to to frame to keep the center of gravity more stable.

Last edited:
being out west you might be better of just getting a stock frame and bolting whatever spring/shackle combo gets you the tallest height while staying SUA to it. And then setting motor mounts around that. It's going to be a lot of work no matter what you do

Ideally I would love to do the same set up I had on my 62. I had the Man-A-Fre 4" lift with a reverse shackle kit. Absolutely loved that set up. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be as simple as cutting like 1" or 2" out of perches to bring the body down. Hey DJ, remember when I warned you about offering to do metal work? :worms:

But thinking back on the whole situation it all started when I was backed down the hill to get a better line. When I hit the break to go from reverse to 1st is when the front left tire popped up. So I actually might need to stiffen the leafs up.

Ideally I would love to do the same set up I had on my 62. I had the Man-A-Fre 4" lift with a reverse shackle kit. Absolutely loved that set up. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be as simple as cutting like 1" or 2" out of perches to bring the body down. Hey DJ, remember when I warned you about offering to do metal work? :worms:

But thinking back on the whole situation it all started when I was backed down the hill to get a better line. When I hit the break to go from reverse to 1st is when the front left tire popped up. So I actually might need to stiffen the leafs up.

Let me know....

frame flex?

I don't think so. So there are other things to consider. 1) the biggest issue for sure was the lack of rear shocks. The guy I bought it from took them off to get more flex and I tried to put them on the day before I left for SAS but didn't have enough ass to do on the ground. 2) body mounts were weathered and cracking. 3) Weather that day. When we were all about done with The Wall it started raining. So right before it rolled, the front end popped up when I stopped. Only the second time this happened the truck kept sliding back because of wet rocks. It
20200806_202952.jpg
slid till I the left rear tire found the big rock that sent it over.

Probably a good combination of bad things. Can't really blame it on just one.

The one thing we can't blame is the driver lol. Just kidding, I was a factor for sure. I didn't notice that I was backing down at an angle and didn't see that I was sliding towards that rock. If I knew I was sliding towards that rock I could've just put back in 1st and probably saved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom