Repair Guidance on Rear Seat Pivot Mounts and Siffener Plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ax0n

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey everyone,

I finally got around to pulling the carpet this weekend and found some rust. šŸ«¤

I was planning to put some sound material down before installing the new carpet kit I have - but I want to make sure this is solved first.

I know its a known trouble spot on these rigs. I have crawled the forum but still dont feel like I know enough to make the best decision on what to do.

Should I wire brush, treat and move on (I have read that Fluid Film is a good option. true? others?)

Or, take it to a shop to have them cut it out and replace? Exact replacements may be an issue, suggestions here?

Thank you.
IMG_4391.jpeg
IMG_4392.jpeg

- Jesse

Sadly you are past the "wire brush, treat, and move on" stage with this.

The way to fix this correctly is to drill out the spot welds (you can clearly see them in the pic - they're the little round indents). Center punch them and use a good quality drill bit to drill through just the top layer. Remove the seat support first, then drill the welds on the next layer and remove the support plate on the inner fender. New steel will need to be welded in: do the inner fender first, then the support plate (you may need to have a new one fabbed up), and then re-attach the the seat support with plug welds. Whether you do it or hire someone to do it, there isn't really any way around it, unfortunately.

Sadly you are past the "wire brush, treat, and move on" stage with this.

The way to fix this correctly is to drill out the spot welds (you can clearly see them in the pic - they're the little round indents). Center punch them and use a good quality drill bit to drill through just the top layer. Remove the seat support first, then drill the welds on the next layer and remove the support plate on the inner fender. New steel will need to be welded in: do the inner fender first, then the support plate (you may need to have a new one fabbed up), and then re-attach the the seat support with plug welds. Whether you do it or hire someone to do it, there isn't really any way around it, unfortunately.
Thanks man, I appreciate the information.

you're in texas right? from what i've seen there's a strong contingent of cruiserheads there. don't think it would be too difficult to get some localish help. good luck with the repair
check the clubhouse, top header of the page. i think there's 5 or 6 cruiser groups listed. reach out n see what falls outta the tree

Break out the welderā€¦

Did you get this fixed?

It's quite an involved process, but possible. You can either separate all the layers at the spot welds, or find a good donor part. I did it both ways, but the good donor parts are pricey if you can find them.

But shaping the sheet metal for the fenderwell isn't easy.

20240309_175321.jpg

20240310_132905.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom