Removing broken knuckle studs...On a snow covered trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I put the order in with @NLXTACY this morning, I went and got several easy outs in case one or two fail, and packed some extra tools. I have @ToyotaDon signed up to help, a buddy with a generator and welder he's willing throw in the back of his tricked out gladiator in case all else fails (owns a welding shop), and another buddy taking his truck and trailer to the trail head to bring me home. I'm also investing in an InReach so this doesn't happen again. I was very lucky to get reception up there yesterday, I almost never do.

How about those pictures? 😁

I just called my local dealership and they told me the studs are discontinued. Part Number 90116-12007. Is there a new part number?

Get ARP studs from front range.

Wheel studs- like the lug bolts? How would that work? I could see using the wheel nuts if you lost the nuts, but not seeing how a stud helps anything.

Edit- I must not be understanding you, because I'm pretty sure the lugs are larger than the knuckle studs.

The object being to spin a wheel stud into the threaded holes in the knuckle through the steering arm. Now its a dodgy bolt. Not ideal, but better than no fastener.

Got me wondering so I had to check it out myself. Was able to verify wheel stud thread size and pitch as M12x1.5, as are the threaded holes in knuckle. Be sure to note however, correct knuckle stud has a finer thread pitch on top (more like M12x1.0 by eye..?) ruling out the use of a lug nut on top in lieu of correct nut, at least with stock type component configuration.

So, the concept is sound.

IMG_2913.JPG
-

Mostly irrelevant thread hijack in the name of "SCIENCE!" over. :hillbilly:

7753D131-69E4-49FC-81B2-991734233BA8.jpeg

Here’s one my wife took.

05046294-A6B6-4309-A918-46B002683CC9.jpeg

s***’s busted.

This time of year I carry extra food and a sleeping bag per person in the rig even on easy day runs. They weigh nothing and can be the difference between life and death, for myself or someone else I might come across.
It sounds like you have some good tools, help and a plan. I'm glad to hear it. Let us know how it turns out.

This time of year I carry extra food and a sleeping bag per person in the rig even on easy day runs. They weigh nothing and can be the difference between life and death, for myself or someone else I might come across.
It sounds like you have some good tools, help and a plan. I'm glad to hear it. Let us know how it turns out.
For Sure. I had plenty of fuel to run the truck and keep the heat going. I keep a single burner, Stanley Coffee Press, and backpacking meals in my truck at all times. We actually ate one for dinner that night. Didn't want to waste drinking water so I boiled some snow.

For Sure. I had plenty of fuel to run the truck and keep the heat going. I keep a single burner, Stanley Coffee Press, and backpacking meals in my truck at all times. We actually ate one for dinner that night. Didn't want to waste drinking water so I boiled some snow.
Now that you’ve had to call on your kit, it would be rad if you could share what you wished you’d had at the time. So far I think you’ve said:
  • GPS locator beacon
What is going on your rig now that you d had this experience?

Looks like things should've sorted out by now and I was curious if the rig was simply trailered out of the elements into a more hospitable environment?

I don't physically function well in cold temps and my synapses are way too slow!

Looks like things should've sorted out by now and I was curious if the rig was simply trailered out of the elements into a more hospitable environment?

I don't physically function well in cold temps and my synapses are way too slow!
Going in tomorrow to fix the rig. The plan is to get it off the trail then tow it home on a trailer. I’m pretty sure the axle seal is damaged I’m concerned highway speeds will do more internal damage.

Now that you’ve had to call on your kit, it would be rad if you could share what you wished you’d had at the time. So far I think you’ve said:
  • GPS locator beacon
What is going on your rig now that you d had this experience?
As of now, spare stud kits and a set of easy outs. Once I make it home and determine what all I needed I’ll update the list I’m sure.

One might think it got cold up there.

20220226_132132.jpg

It was actually a very nice day with the sun shining on us most of the time.

20220226_104444.jpg

I had spent a bunch of time looking everywhere for my spares and finally just pulled some from a mini truck knuckle I had laying around. I told my lab tech we would probably find them Monday, but I was wrong.

20220227_113813.jpg

They were behind my CO2 tank and fire extinguisher, which I pulled out during the welding. I actually found them immediately after the other parts had been used!
20220227_114131.jpg

Now they will go where they should have been the whole time.

First of all, I can’t thank @ToyotaDon and the group of guys that got me to my rig and helped me get it fixed. It was a ton of work getting up there. My buddy Cesar didn’t have lockers in his Gladiator. I think that, Mixed with Don and I leading the trail pushing the snow down to the ice layer didn’t help. I think we pulled nearly a mile of winch line 75 feet at a time to get up the trail. It was a lot of hard work.

Cesar owns a muffler and fabrication shop and was able to put a welder and generator in the back of his truck to haul up there. It really made getting the studs out a lot easier. Don’s years of 80 ownership and Toyota Mechanic skills and training helped a ton too. He had the truck back together and ready to come off the trail in no time.

Lessons learned from this experience? Check yer nuts, take spare stud kits, be able to communicate in back country, always bring extra food and water, and never, ever, go snow wheeling alone. Had I been with a group I likely could have avoided all of this. Also, learn the limits of your recovery equipment. I think my choice to put so much side load on that wheel with the winch is a leading factor in why the studs snapped. After we got everything apart, we realized a stud had actually already come loose and completely fallen out. One of the studs, with nut and washers attached, was found sitting on top of the brake caliper.

I still need to pull that side of the hub apart because I’m confident I ruined the axle seal. I’m ordering parts and hope to get it taken care of next Sunday. I’ll be also be putting a set of Nut Huggers on this time around.

Now for some pictures.

D7F8A63F-DBE0-4F11-B934-2EE36844E930.jpeg

@ToyotaDon leading the way. My buddy Nate came along as well. He towed my rig home on his trailer.

0F9D6CA0-499D-46E5-9C4B-506F5E252499.jpeg

Cesar crossing the creek. He realized how important a locker can be on this trip.

D982EA82-800E-4BC2-9AA7-51969819EDCD.jpeg

The truck was right we’re I left it. It snowed for two days after we got stuck and based on the lack of wheel tracks on the trail, we were the first group up since the storm. You can see all I’ve my spilt gear oil where everything fell apart.

2DEFD31D-987E-4BAD-9896-4B622C2F7F12.jpeg

Ceaser was able to stack a bead on the studs, two of which sheared inside the housing about 1/4 an inch. From there he added a washer and some spare nuts Don had which we used to pull the studs out.

A514DF39-BA7A-4C8A-A032-FFA1D191A00D.jpeg

Don, being the expert he is, got the new studs in quickly. Truth be told I felt kinda useless as they guys did most the work. All I really did was take the wheel off, help line up the steering arm in the knuckle, and put the wheel back on.

93A8D46B-405E-4283-87BA-A962D3430B41.jpeg

At least I broke down in a pretty spot.

8071FF88-ADE5-4ED1-9869-A0F44D842048.jpeg

I’m not the only rig that had a tough time with this hill. The snow here is apparently especially deep. Several rigs with far better clearance had issues and needed to be pulled up.

861C9EE3-ED65-4F1C-8905-17B1DBAD6D3C.jpeg

Once off the trail, we loaded it up on Nates trailer he usually tows his Bronco with and headed home. I can’t remember a time I’ve ever seen someone else drive my rig, but following him down the hill made me realize exactly how much body roll I have. I can’t wait to get that tent off the truck and onto my trailer. It’ll have to wait until I move into my new house though.

All in all it was a successful mission. I enlisted the help of the right group of people with the right gear to not only get to the truck, but also fix it. I cannot adequately express how grateful I am to these guys for their time and effort in this endeavor.

83383171-D750-4A6D-840D-CB1DA81F40AD.jpeg

Thanks for the wrap up Dillon, glad everything worked out well.

Thanks for posting lessons learned and sharing about the amazing crew you assembled. Hats off to you fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom