Removing broken knuckle studs...On a snow covered trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
So after nearly a decade of off-roading in Land Cruisers, I've finally had a catastrophic break on the trail. I got bogged down in some snow and while trying to winch myself out, I sheared off all of the knuckle studs on the passenger side. Thank goodness I was able to hike a little ways and find cell service to have a friend come pick my family up with me and bring us home. Yesterday was a long day, and night. The rig is currently still up on the hill. I'm searching for parts and headed back up there this week if possible to bring her home.

We were able to pull it out of the hole I had dug for myself and do a proper inspection. It looks as if the studs sheared off inside of the knuckle housing. I'm hoping to not have to pull the whole knuckle off on the trail, but can't see a way to get the broken studs out while it's still on the truck. I rebuilt these 4 or 5 years ago in the garage, and if I remember correctly I didn't take the studs out, just checked the torque. So I have no idea if there is loctite in there or not. I was hoping I'd be able to get them out with some easy outs and put the new ones in and slap it all together with the intent to completely rebuild that side when I got it home. I just need it to stay together long enough to get it off the trail and onto a trailer to tow it home.

If any of you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. What parts beyond studs, washers, and nuts? What special tools? Any trail fix techniques I may have not thought of?

Thanks

Toyota jack (and tools)
Wheel chocks, blocks, or rocks.
2 x 12, 18"long for a jack base
Left hand drill bits with easy outs (I buy the multi-bit set made of Cobalt from O'Reilly's They are about $45 and well worth it.)
20V drill with at least 2 extra batteries
Vise grips
Small hammer
Large soft face (deadblow) hammer, 2 LB minimum
Small open end adjustable wrench (6")
Medium open end adjustable wrench (12")
Hub socket (54 mm)
Allen wrenches of you have the Trail Gear nuts
1/2" cold chisel
12mm
13mm
14mm
15mm
16mm
17mm
Wrenches, sockets for all sizes above
13/16" socket for lug nuts
3/8" and 1/2" ratchet wrench
3/8" and 1/2" extension, 3" and 6"
Snap ring Pliers
Needle nose pliers, 6"
Channellock Pliers, 12" or longer
Straight Blade screwdriver, about 6"Long, at least 1/4" wide bit.
Hacksaw (hand operated) with at least one extra blade
One can of "The Right Stuff-Black" sealant
3 tubes Valvoline Palladium grease
2 Tubes Lucas Red-N-Tacky 2 wheel bearing grease
4 rolls paper towels
2 trash bags
2 36" square piece of cardboard
3 cans BraKleen
1 QT 75W-90 Gear Oil
1 MAPP Gas torch (In case of red Loctite)
Fire Extinguisher
Quart size Ziploc Freezer bags (for placing loose parts in when removed)
Cooler
Beer
Water
2 friends for encouragement and to call 911 when it falls on you.
Firearms for protection from wild animals
Shovel to dig down far enough to get a jack under it.
Floor Jack
1/2" thick plywood 18"W x 36"L as a floor jack base
1 complete set of 2 trunnion bearings with races
1/2" Torque wrench 50-250 LB-FT (not absolutely necessary)
Duct Tape (Use the Gorilla brand)
Flashlights / headlights / work lights because you won't be done by dark.
Latex or rubber gloves
Safety glasses
Flip-flops
Board shorts
Flat bill hat

That should do it.

So after nearly a decade of off-roading in Land Cruisers, I've finally had a catastrophic break on the trail. I got bogged down in some snow and while trying to winch myself out, I sheared off all of the knuckle studs on the passenger side. Thank goodness I was able to hike a little ways and find cell service to have a friend come pick my family up with me and bring us home. Yesterday was a long day, and night. The rig is currently still up on the hill. I'm searching for parts and headed back up there this week if possible to bring her home.

We were able to pull it out of the hole I had dug for myself and do a proper inspection. It looks as if the studs sheared off inside of the knuckle housing. I'm hoping to not have to pull the whole knuckle off on the trail, but can't see a way to get the broken studs out while it's still on the truck. I rebuilt these 4 or 5 years ago in the garage, and if I remember correctly I didn't take the studs out, just checked the torque. So I have no idea if there is loctite in there or not. I was hoping I'd be able to get them out with some easy outs and put the new ones in and slap it all together with the intent to completely rebuild that side when I got it home. I just need it to stay together long enough to get it off the trail and onto a trailer to tow it home.

If any of you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. What parts beyond studs, washers, and nuts? What special tools? Any trail fix techniques I may have not thought of?

Thanks
Wow, that does sound like a hell of a day and its impossible to plan for all scenarios. Gool luck on the fix and recovery. With all that being said........Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Last edited:
He has handcuffs to arrest the last person that didn’t check his nuts 🤔
Should put them on myself I guess.:bang:

I'm about to put an order in for all the parts I think I'll need, think you can get it here by Friday? I'm gonna be redoing both sides once I get it back to the house and using your plates. I think it was both, loose studs probably, and the fact I had a boat load of force applied with the winch line. Guess I'm also gonna need to get the patch to put up with the others on the headliner to remind me to do that in the future.

Wow, that does sound like a hell of a day and its impossible to plan for all scenarios. Gool luck on the fix and recovery. With all that being said........Pics or it didn't happen ;)
I was too ashamed to take pics. The guys that came up to help me did though, I'll share them when I get them.

@BILT4ME 😂😂😂 I know this list. I'll be doing all of that when I get home. I'm positive I'm going to have to replace the axel seal on that side, so might as well do all of it. I'm actually a little worried I may have messed up the top of the axel housing from the way the everything looked when I got pulled out. The wheel was cambered bottom out pretty badly. Goal right now is to just get it on a trailer and get it home.

Thanks for the responses, love this community.

I had to help change a entire front axle housing on the side of a mountain one time. (79 pickup, leaf springs, super easy…kinda)
You can do it!! Bring more beer than you think is reasonable.

I have had the best luck out of the square style stud extractors.

Stanley Proto J9500A Proto 5PC Screw Extractor Amazon product ASIN B003HLMSHW
That style^^

Tie rod end puller. Brass drift. One or two more flat screwdrivers, small and large. Small sledge hammer (for tie rod ends).

Also- all the sockets and wrenches. Don't wish you had them. For instance, I'm pretty sure the tie rod ends are 19's.

Last edited:
If it’s off the trail and you think it won’t be stripped then wait for shipment of another knuckle. I carry a Rescue Bit in left hand twist but also tote knuckles in my tow rig for the tough trails. If you broke studs in the snow then shame on you for lack of maintenance.

Maybe get your hands on a left hand bit of some kind ASAP. That might be the ticket.

Welder can also be used to extract broken fasteners. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of battery welding as well, but does require significant experience/skill. If you have to ask, now may not be the best time to learn.

Also, someone who should know once told me the stock wheel studs are same thread pitch as knuckle studs. Could get a truck moving in a bind.

Also, someone who should know once told me the stock wheel studs are same thread pitch as knuckle studs. Could get a truck moving in a bind.
Wheel studs- like the lug bolts? How would that work? I could see using the wheel nuts if you lost the nuts, but not seeing how a stud helps anything.

Edit- I must not be understanding you, because I'm pretty sure the lugs are larger than the knuckle studs.

Could just strap a log under the axle and pull it to the trail head, even put a snow board or something under the log, should pull easy on the snow,

Nothing like truth …

Having done both knuckle and wheels studs...seems the holes in these areas are similar enough in size?
Should work in a pinch when used with their associated bolts?? Curious.

delete. slow night

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom