Remember to check your antifreeze.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
:whoops:

:doh: I guess the freeze plugs did their job.

I was working on flushing out the new '64 because of all the nasty in the block. I have been too busy lately to do anything and it got cold last night. I had 2 gallons of antifrreeze sitting in the back of the Cruiser too.
b.jpg
c.jpg
a.jpg

Thats one way to flush an engine

haha, glad mine is killing it in the garage ;)

didn't your s10 freeze once? didn't pop a plug though right?

'59 Chevy did. Funny because it boiled over on the way home with the block and radiator frozen solid.

This did make it really easy to flush though...:D

Damn, it can get cold here in the high desert (in the teens) but that is cold.

I don't think the block is cracked. Does anyone know if there is a freeze plug on the back of the engine? I vaguely remember seeing one back there. Maybe on the back of the head?

Fill old rusty Cruiser block with mash and place in freezer (or in your driveway in Colorado) When the freeze plugs blow out the side of the engine pour off the shine. Sometimes you may have to chip away some ice but other than that you are done. Water freezes at zero degrees centigrade and alcohol freezes at around -200 degrees centigrade and that is the whole reason of distilling it to remove the water which is done here rather nicely.

1. YOU HAVE TO WATER IT DOWN. BECAUSE SHINE COMES OFF THE
STILL OR OUT OF THE FREEZER AT AROUND 85% AND THAT IS JUST TOO DAM
STRONG.
2. YOU HAVE TO GIVE YOUR SHINE TIME TO MELLOW. THIS IS THE MOST
IMPORTANT PART. YOU SHOULD WAIT AT LEST 8 WEEKS AND SIX
MONTHSWOULD BE BETTER. THE RULE IS THE LONGER YOU WAIT
THE BETTER IT WILL BE.
3. YOU CAN FAVOR YOUR SHINE WITH ANY KIND OF WINE OR FRUIT
JUICE YOU CAN ALSO USE THESE TO WATER IT DOWN. IF YOU JUST WANT TO
WATER IT DOWN WITH WATER THEN YOU CAN STICK 3 OR 4 JOLLY
RANCHERS IN TO EACH BOTTLE OF SHINE BEFORE YOU LET IT MELLOW.
4. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO FILTER IT THIS CAN BE DONE WITH SOME
REALLY THICK FELT CLOTH OR YOU CAN USE TWO OR THREE LAYERED
COFFEE FILTERS. THIS WILL HELP REMOVE ANY IMPURITIES AND OILS.

Last edited:
Good luck getting a new freeze plug to stay in there. That's been my bane on both the F135 and the F145.

Quote: IDave Good luck getting a new freeze plug to stay in there. That's been my bane on both the F135 and the F145.

I rebuilt a F145 back in the early eigthies and had a freeze plug pop out with the engine under load. The plug landed on the frame. Just put it back in and seated it with a punch. Reseated all the one I could get to. Still holding to this day. Freeze plugs were steel and really seated them hard with the punch after the first one popped out.

Quote: treerootCO I don't think the block is cracked. Does anyone know if there is a freeze plug on the back of the engine? I vaguely remember seeing one back there. Maybe on the back of the head?

I pretty sure there's one in the back too. I have a real early block in garage I can check if you want.

John

holy crap man i didn't think you guys got winter down there in the U.S. .
HA! HA!
with us Canadian's up here living in igloo's ya know . , hope your engine is fine . we haven't had anything below zero yet . where i live . vancouver b.c. 10 mins. north of Blaine washington , guess i better go out and check my antifreeze . thanks for the pic and the heads up .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom