Registering a Columbian '79 FJ40 in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
31k would have bought some pretty decent north american cruisers....

And pre-75 where this would be a complete non-issue.

Something like this

Although I probably won't go down that path, I have seen many modern (even new) engine swaps ranging from $10-50K. Would these be CA legit and pass smog? On the expensive side I see you can get a CA certified GM eRod crate engine? what have you all heard or feel about these options? thanks
Contact Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. I would consider him an authority on the viability of an engine swap of any kind. And the shop to do it.

Thanks for the link! Its good read... at the end of the day it all comes down to money... How much will it cost to get smog OK? or How much will I lose on it if I have to sell it? vs the cost of registering in Montana and the headache of what CA (police or future policy) may do....

Still much to contemplate...

Although I probably won't go down that path, I have seen many modern (even new) engine swaps ranging from $10-50K. Would these be CA legit and pass smog? On the expensive side I see you can get a CA certified GM eRod crate engine? what have you all heard or feel about these options? thanks
I have no experience in such things, but I cannot see it (eRod V8 swap) being much different in a post '75 FJ40 than the smog legal eRod V8 swaps that Trail Tailor does routinely in FJ60's. I AM assuming the swaps he does are California smog legal, I know not all of his builds end up in CA, but I'm pretty sure I have read that some do stay in CA? Sorry for your predicament. You seem to be pretty level headed about the situation and are doing your research. Good luck in coming to a solution. I really do think your path of least resistance (and lowest capital expenditure) is going to be to sell the truck and buy a nice smog legal or smog exempt FJ40 here in CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom