Registering a Columbian '79 FJ40 in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Hi all! I tried finding a previous thread that described this already and I apologize if this has already been discussed. Please send me link if it exists and thanks!

How would one CA register a '79 FJ40 that originated in Columbia? The car has already been registered in FL, but I am not sure if it would be a simple process or if the origin complicates things... I have tons of follow up questions, but I will ask as you all comment. thanks!

Welcome to Mud!

You have a hard road ahead. Your 40 will have to have ALL smog equipment for the 79 model year.
If possible, leave it registered in Fla.

Hopefully you did not already buy this vehicle with the idea that you would register it in California.

As of now it currently will have none of those components, or even the holes in the engine to install them.

Good luck.

75 and newer require a smog check. You've got a tough hill to climb.

Edit: sorry, 75 and older are exempt. 76 and newer require a check.

Last edited:
Hi all! I tried finding a previous thread that described this already and I apologize if this has already been discussed. Please send me link if it exists and thanks!

How would one CA register a '79 FJ40 that originated in Columbia? The car has already been registered in FL, but I am not sure if it would be a simple process or if the origin complicates things... I have tons of follow up questions, but I will ask as you all comment. thanks!
Anything model year '76 and newer requires the vehicle to be smog compliant here in CA, so as mentioned, you'll not only need all the smog equipment required for a '79 model year, it will also need to be functioning. This is assuming it has the original 2F powerplant. South American Landcruisers were not outfitted with any smog equipment. As mentioned, leave it registered elsewhere or sell it and buy something that doesn't require smog. There is no amount of attachment to one of these trucks that would cause me to even try to fight the smog system, that's why I went and bought two 40's old enough to not have to play the silly games with smog compliance when I already had two 40's that are perfectly fine but not smog compliant here in Commiefornia.

Welcome to Mud!

You have a hard road ahead. Your 40 will have to have ALL smog equipment for the 79 model year.
Welcome to Mud!

Thanks for all the responses. How would one renew registration in FL and drive in CA? Do I need a residence in FL? Can I use a PO Box?

Are some counties in CA exempt like WA used to be? Or does the entire state require a smog test?
Yes, but not as broad as whole counties, at least not in SoCal. Only certain zip codes that are sparsely populated have the biennial smog testing exemptions.

BAT deleted my comment on that auction... awful.

And from some quick google research even in those areas you have to initially smog it when you buy or bring it in. Then after that it's exempt
Correct - before you can register in a non-smog county (6 total) you have to have it smogged.

On paper - your truck is not legal and cannot be registered in California...but thats for rule-abiding, unwilling folks. Figure out what you are first.

Now it is not a problem usually to find someone to pass the truck.... :) But that's up to you to find someone, I never had an issue. Outside from that, you need a clear title from Florida to tag it in California and a vin inspection. As long as your Florida title is clear and matches the vin plate on the truck, CHP should be fine, although AAA is even better for these tasks, so use AAA if you have it.

My recommendation for ease - tag it in another state. Vermont and South Dakota are great options along with Arizona if you have an address to use. Otherwise leave it tagged Florida.

BAT deleted my comment on that auction... awful.
what was the deleted comment?

To make a long story short, before purchasing, I took the copy of title and FL registration to the AAA DMV desk and I was told it wouldn't be a problem if the vehicle was already registered in FL. Needless to say, after the purchase the same AAA guy was suffering from amnesia and didn't remember my previous visit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom