Registering a Columbian '79 FJ40 in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Idea about registering in AZ or Utah?

Arizona emissions go back to and including 1967. Nine yes further than California. Never looked into it but they do have a classic option. There is also another option. Do not register it in Phoenix or Tucson areas. The rest of the state is emissions free.

Arizona emissions go back to and including 1967. Nine yes further than California. Never looked into it but they do have a classic option. There is also another option. Do not register it in Phoenix or Tucson areas. The rest of the state is emissions free.

You can do out of state non resident registration in Arizona? That's what he's asking about

Look into setting up a LLC in Montana and registering in that state under the LLC.

what was the deleted comment?

To make a long story short, before purchasing, I took the copy of title and FL registration to the AAA DMV desk and I was told it wouldn't be a problem if the vehicle was already registered in FL. Needless to say, after the purchase the same AAA guy was suffering from amnesia and didn't remember my previous visit ...

Technically he's not wrong but the vehicle still has to conform to the CA smog laws. I brought mine in from out of state and it was a super easy process

If neither party specified then kind of on you also

what was the deleted comment?

To make a long story short, before purchasing, I took the copy of title and FL registration to the AAA DMV desk and I was told it wouldn't be a problem if the vehicle was already registered in FL. Needless to say, after the purchase the same AAA guy was suffering from amnesia and didn't remember my previous visit ...

Don't remember exactly, but I remember seeing that 40. Probably something about the dry rotted tires or the broken chassis or the bent steering linkage.

I work on these Colombia imports all the time and it continually baffles me what people will pay for such a poor example. And then jump through a bunch of hoops to register it in a emissions state?

Last edited:
Before I bought Ms. Scarlet I checked her out. I knew she had been desmogged in Florida by the first owner, then sold to second owner in Arkansas. I was clear since we lived in a non emissions county in Colorado. Before I moved to Arizona I checked out zip codes for smog regulations and moved to a town where she did have to take an emissions test.

Yes, you can do a Montana LLC to avoid emissions testing and get cheap yearly plates in many states. Most class A RVs with Montana plates are registered under an LLC to avoid taxes and get cheap plates. Same goes for classic cars with Montana plates. You would have to do some serious research to see how California views out of state plates for California residents. I bet California is not out of state LLC registration friendly.

You may have to sell your South American senorita for a lot less than you paid for her.

Before I bought Ms. Scarlet I checked her out. I knew she had been desmogged in Florida by the first owner, then sold to second owner in Arkansas. I was clear since we lived in a non emissions county in Colorado. Before I moved to Arizona I checked out zip codes for smog regulations and moved to a town where she did have to take an emissions test.

Yes, you can do a Montana LLC to avoid emissions testing and get cheap yearly plates in many states. Most class A RVs with Montana plates are registered under an LLC to avoid taxes and get cheap plates. Same goes for classic cars with Montana plates. You would have to do some serious research to see how California views out of state plates for California residents. I bet California is not out of state LLC registration friendly.

You may have to sell your South American senorita for a lot less than you paid for her.
thanks. What is the downside of Montana registration? it would be legal if I have an LLC there, right? what can CA do?

thanks. What is the downside of Montana registration? it would be legal if I have an LLC there, right? what can CA do?
Police is cracking down on such practice. If you register a car out of state and drive it in California, more than likely you'll be flagged down since you're basically evading California registration fees and taxes.

California isn't fooling around. A lot of nice looking vehicles being traded on eBay and BAT can never be registered in California.

Police is cracking down on such practice. If you register a car out of state and drive it in California, more than likely you'll be flagged down since you're basically evading California registration fees and taxes.

California isn't fooling around. A lot of nice looking vehicles being traded on eBay and BAT can never be registered in California.

Thanks for the link! Its good read... at the end of the day it all comes down to money... How much will it cost to get smog OK? or How much will I lose on it if I have to sell it? vs the cost of registering in Montana and the headache of what CA (police or future policy) may do....

Still much to contemplate...

Although I probably won't go down that path, I have seen many modern (even new) engine swaps ranging from $10-50K. Would these be CA legit and pass smog? On the expensive side I see you can get a CA certified GM eRod crate engine? what have you all heard or feel about these options? thanks

Thanks for the link! Its good read... at the end of the day it all comes down to money... How much will it cost to get smog OK? or How much will I lose on it if I have to sell it? vs the cost of registering in Montana and the headache of what CA (police or future policy) may do....

Although I probably won't go down that path, I have seen many modern (even new) engine swaps ranging from $10-50K. Would these be CA legit and pass smog? On the expensive side I see you can get a CA certified GM eRod crate engine? what have you all heard or feel about these options? thanks
This will solve your problem once and for all: ;)

They are in Southern California.

This will solve your problem once and for all: ;)

They are in Southern California.
I actually called them. It’s only about $50-60k (engine and install) and 8-12mo wait…
Give me a thumbs up if you would support a gofundme page…🤦

I don't mean to nuke you, but you must have more money than brains to try some kind of engine swap. Take what you paid for "senorita" plus $15k and you could have bought a really, really nice domestic truck. You have been screwed by another SA import sold on BAT. BAT really should require sellers to disclose information about potential registration issues on imports when selling on their site. As the saying goes, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig." I feel sorry for you, but maybe someone here can help you with sage words of wisdom.

Last edited:
I don't mean to nuke you, but you must have more money than brains to try some kind of engine swap. Take what you paid for "senorita" plus $15k and you could have bought a really, really nice truck. You have been screwed by another SA import and your emotions. If you really wanted a Cruzzer, you should have done your research and bought a NA certified truck. You would have come out way better. It's not totally your fault. You got lured by the seller. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig. I feel sorry for you, but maybe someone here can he
I def should have done more research, but my superficial research and positive feedback from DMV got me giddy enough to bid on the señorita... By no means would I swap an engine for 15K but looking into any approach to salvage my purchase to some extent...
I don't mean to nuke you, but you must have more money than brains to try some kind of engine swap. Take what you paid for "senorita" plus $15k and you could have bought a really, really nice truck. You have been screwed by another SA import and your emotions. If you really wanted a Cruzzer, you should have done your research and bought a NA certified truck. You would have come out way better. It's not totally your fault. You got lured by the seller. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig. I feel sorry for you, but maybe someone here can help you with sage words of wisdom.
I deserve it to an extent. That said, I wouldn't sink 15k into her (at least not for an engine swap...) Just looking into any approach to salvage my purchase to some extent.

I admit it that I def should have done more research, but my superficial research and positive feedback from DMV got me giddy enough to bid on the señorita... But hind site is 20/20. Now its about solutions not looking back.

I now realize that I should asked the questions to you knowledgable people in the forum (before the purchase) rather than to the DMV... thanks

I can’t comment on the price of a swap, but in terms of engine swaps in CA the only thing you really need to bear in mind is that it is the year of the engine that matters in terms of smog requirements—and the engine has to be at least as new as the vehicle.

E.g., if you swap a 2022 model engine into your 1979 FJ40, you need to meet the emissions requirements for 2022. All of the original smog equipment that goes with the 2022 engine must be carried over into your FJ40 and be functional.

If an engine swap was a consideration, from a practical standpoint I would think that putting a 2F from a California vehicle would be the most straightforward engine swap.

I can’t comment on the price of a swap, but in terms of engine swaps in CA the only thing you really need to bear in mind is that it is the year of the engine that matters in terms of smog requirements—and the engine has to be at least as new as the vehicle.

E.g., if you swap a 2022 model engine into your 1979 FJ40, you need to meet the emissions requirements for 2022. All of the original smog equipment that goes with the 2022 engine must be carried over into your FJ40 and be functional.

If an engine swap was a consideration, from a practical standpoint I would think that putting a 2F from a California vehicle would be the most straightforward engine swap.
Your comment about the rules is right on. However, engine is the easy part. The hard part is getting all of the smog related ancillary equipment, virtually all of which are discontinued.

@iveinbergs

Salvage your purchase by getting rid of it as fast as possible and buying something like this. An actual quality Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom