recomended headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
Alot of people will not buy from JT Outfitters because of problem after problem. Just my 2 pesos

so whtas wrong with thm? I dont have that much money to spend. the reason I'm looking for some headers is cause my stock manifold has a crack in it.

This does not need to be re-hashed in this thread.

" JT Outfitters "

S E A R C H

poser,

are there 7 pipes on that header, what's that fourth pipe at the very rear of the engine comparment? an egr hook up? how did you cap it off?

Yes that is an EGR pipe hook up, and I made a block off out of 1/4" steel, and used a Toyota EGR tube gasket. It seems to be working just fine.

:beer:

awsome headers, but if they are not "street legal" in all 50 states wtf do you need the egr hook up for. why the hell don't they offer a set without the egr pipe.

The EGR pipe is not a make or break deal on the cost....and making a block off plate is nothing.

There are states outside of the peoples republik of kalifornia that these could be made to work with an EGR system, and would be legal.

Thanks for the props guys! Apparantly I missed this thread the first time around.

Anyhow, my .02 on the header on Ebay has NOTHING to do with JTO; it's strictly about the header.

I USED to sell that header when I first opened the shop. MAF used to sell them too. They were a good deal, especially when bought in bulk. Then I found out about ALL the quality issues, and I never re-ordered them. I have made it a point not to sell something I wouldn't install on a customer's rig, and I would NOT INSTALL THAT HEADER.

The bends at the manifold flange are too severe, and the metal gets stretched too thin, and therefore cracks prematurely. I have also learned that trying to shove all 6 downpipes into one collector simultaneously causes undue stress on both the pipes and the collector, and the pipes are crammed so tightly together that there is a high likelihood that when they crack [and they all crack] that it will be in a place where it is not easily repairable.

In summary, ANY header will be a better choice than the 6 into 1.

:)

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
I dont have that much money to spend. the reason I'm looking for some headers is cause my stock manifold has a crack in it.

Just braze the crack. Mine had a 4 inch crack and it has been fine for the last 10 years after brazing it.

Pin_Head said:
Just braze the crack. Mine had a 4 inch crack and it has been fine for the last 10 years after brazing it.

Yep, brazing cast iron is pretty easy. I'm also having good results with nickle rod and an old fashioned stick welder. But the stock manifold in my '77 had a chunk of it's upper flange gone along with other cracks so it had to go. It's a case by case decision.

I have two sets of the SOR split headers on two cruisers. They work good, installed pretty easy and haven't leaked at the head but I wish that the MAF new one had been available then 'cause it's clearly the best available.

so how much better is a good header than the stock manifold. I.E. power gain, and gas mileage? I know headers give you some more hp, but how much more, is it worth the 300-400$?

I would not remove a stock intake and exhaust manifold that are in working condition with the idea that headers are going to make so much more power and push my mileage over the 12 figure.....

From what I've read (tests done by Downey) you may be looking at 7 HP gain at the rear wheel (MAYBE) from headers under the best circumstances. Hardly "seat of the pants".

IDave said:
From what I've read (tests done by Downey) you may be looking at 7 HP gain at the rear wheel (MAYBE) from headers under the best circumstances. Hardly "seat of the pants".

That's probably about as much as removing a smog pump or changing to an electric fan might give. Wouldn't notice it much.

IMO, the only reason for headers on these engines is the unavailability or the cost of an OEM manifold.

honk said:
IMO, the only reason for headers on these engines is the unavailability or the cost of an OEM manifold.

you TOTALLY forgot the bling factor:doh:

What outside diameter and gauge are these Landcruiser headers?

Planet_X said:
What outside diameter and gauge are these Landcruiser headers?

The MAF headers on my truck?

I honestly have no idea man....1.25"? 1.50"? diameter...

They are not THAT thick....but they are significantly nicer than the 1989 era two-piece headers they replaced.....

Poser said:
The MAF headers on my truck?

I honestly have no idea man....1.25"? 1.50"? diameter...

They are not THAT thick....but they are significantly nicer than the 1989 era two-piece headers they replaced.....

Before I had the V-8, I used to have some downey one's, and from what I can remember the tubes were at least as big as the tube size (1.5" 16ga) that I used for making some for the Chevy small-block.
The gauge is important because it will increase or decrease the inside diameter of the tubes.
I based my header design off of information from 'headers by ed' , and I have been wanting to apply the concepts to a set for a straight six,but have not found the time or application.

Everybody seems to like big exhaust, and in the F/2F, motors smaller would be better, to maximize exhaust velocity.

Note I no longer have the v-8 headers because the 32" long equal length tubes + 16ga mild steel + cubic inches = too much damn heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom