Rear seatbelts? 1982 HJ60 Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I'm having a lot of trouble finding rear seatbelts to install into my HJ60 (my year model is 1982).
A brief explanation: I bought this car and it didn't have any rear seats installed, so I went and bought some *pristine* full bench seats off an old wrecking one. This was from an '85 year model, but the seats still fit just fine.
Anyways, I bought some brand-new rear seatbelts to fit onto my Cruiser. I noticed my 60 already had some thread cut into the upper C pillar for the top of the sash tongue, so I figured someone has fitted 3-point seatbelts in the back during this car's history.

First off, these seatbelts were terrible - not period correct at all and look like they're from a brand-new car so I immediately didn't want them anymore. I decided to try and fit them anyways, and got stuck when I went to try and mount them. I bolted the top sash tongue onto the C pillar, but got stuck with where everything else was meant to go. There were no instructions, I can't find any information on mounting points (not even in the Haynes manual!) and I don't understand how the rear seatbelts would mount on as I didn't take them off... because the car didn't come with any!!!

After a bit of research, I found out the FJ60 had retractable lap-sash rear seatbelts instead of the 3-point belt. What I don't know is whether or not the HJ60 came with lap-sashes in the back; if so, I am having a LOT of trouble finding ones that will fit my bus.
It's also my preference for lap-sashes. I get they're not as safe, but I'm trying to get this car back to complete stock and period correct. I also enjoy sleeping in the back and I won't be able to do that if a 3-point harness is hanging where my head goes when I sleep.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or has any information on 1982 HJ60 Cruiser rear seatbelts, including any photos of what they have in their Cruiser, it would save me a HUGE headache and a major pain in my backside.
Please help me!!

Oh and if you'd like photos to assist with what I'm explaining, let me know! I can upload some in a reply.

Cheers,
Will

Hi there,
I'm having a lot of trouble finding rear seatbelts to install into my HJ60 (my year model is 1982).
A brief explanation: I bought this car and it didn't have any rear seats installed, so I went and bought some *pristine* full bench seats off an old wrecking one. This was from an '85 year model, but the seats still fit just fine.
Anyways, I bought some brand-new rear seatbelts to fit onto my Cruiser. I noticed my 60 already had some thread cut into the upper C pillar for the top of the sash tongue, so I figured someone has fitted 3-point seatbelts in the back during this car's history.

First off, these seatbelts were terrible - not period correct at all and look like they're from a brand-new car so I immediately didn't want them anymore. I decided to try and fit them anyways, and got stuck when I went to try and mount them. I bolted the top sash tongue onto the C pillar, but got stuck with where everything else was meant to go. There were no instructions, I can't find any information on mounting points (not even in the Haynes manual!) and I don't understand how the rear seatbelts would mount on as I didn't take them off... because the car didn't come with any!!!

After a bit of research, I found out the FJ60 had retractable lap-sash rear seatbelts instead of the 3-point belt. What I don't know is whether or not the HJ60 came with lap-sashes in the back; if so, I am having a LOT of trouble finding ones that will fit my bus.
It's also my preference for lap-sashes. I get they're not as safe, but I'm trying to get this car back to complete stock and period correct. I also enjoy sleeping in the back and I won't be able to do that if a 3-point harness is hanging where my head goes when I sleep.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or has any information on 1982 HJ60 Cruiser rear seatbelts, including any photos of what they have in their Cruiser, it would save me a HUGE headache and a major pain in my backside.
Please help me!!

Oh and if you'd like photos to assist with what I'm explaining, let me know! I can upload some in a reply.

Cheers,
Will
I should also mention that these seatbelts didn't come with one of those big gravity feeder things, it was just the webbing through buckles. While I'm here - can someone help me with the correct webbing colour if I have to buy off Seatbelt Planet?! My interior colour scheme is the brown/dark brown vinyl!!! Thank you!!!

I should also mention that these seatbelts didn't come with one of those big gravity feeder things, it was just the webbing through buckles. While I'm here - can someone help me with the correct webbing colour if I have to buy off Seatbelt Planet?! My interior colour scheme is the brown/dark brown vinyl!!! Thank you!!!
Also should mention: I don't mind about them not being retractable! Just want ones that look and feel old school.
Okay, all done now!

Also should mention: I don't mind about them not being retractable! Just want ones that look and feel old school.
Okay, all done now!
I mounted the Seatbelt Planet non-retractable shoulder belts in my 1985 FJ60. This is what I got: SKU 50359-V01

The description says "1985-87" but I'm not sure what the difference is with your earlier model. I had the threaded pillar nut and installation was super easy. All hardware was included and I remember the customer service guy at Seatbelt Planet being very helpful with some questions I had before buying.

I have the tan/brown interior and went with #34 "Brown" and it looks good. Not a perfect match but close enough. The receivers and all plastic parts look 80s enough.

@kirvesmies made up a new model :bounce: I have a HJ60, but it is the later model. I have not looked seriously on a older HJ rear seat belts. But I understand that the basics is same on early models also. I did not really understand what the question was but I try to answer anyway :D Seatbelts mounts in the C-pillar as mentioned. The reels mount under the plastic cover in the bottom of c-pillar. also belt mounts on the floor beside rear seat. Lock pieces mount under the seat belt. In the middle in the rear there is a lap belt. I had a prestine set of brown rear seat belts and they looked the same as newer ones so I assume they mount on same spots. Only thing different in early models are the reels. They have some metal thingy dangling under them.

I have something seat belt related in my project thread here rear seatbelts are shown without upholstery parts Builds - HJ60 Snow white - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hj60-snow-white.978827/post-14758887 and here rear seat belt locks under the rear seat Builds - HJ60 Snow white - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hj60-snow-white.978827/post-14856594

I got these from seat belt planet
SKU: 50359-V02
They fit great.
Got them on black

20240127_154108.jpg

@kirvesmies made up a new model :bounce: I have a HJ60, but it is the later model. I have not looked seriously on a older HJ rear seat belts. But I understand that the basics is same on early models also. I did not really understand what the question was but I try to answer anyway :D Seatbelts mounts in the C-pillar as mentioned. The reels mount under the plastic cover in the bottom of c-pillar. also belt mounts on the floor beside rear seat. Lock pieces mount under the seat belt. In the middle in the rear there is a lap belt. I had a prestine set of brown rear seat belts and they looked the same as newer ones so I assume they mount on same spots. Only thing different in early models are the reels. They have some metal thingy dangling under them.

I have something seat belt related in my project thread here rear seatbelts are shown without upholstery parts Builds - HJ60 Snow white - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hj60-snow-white.978827/post-14758887 and here rear seat belt locks under the rear seat Builds - HJ60 Snow white - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hj60-snow-white.978827/post-14856594
well, to be honest, snow white has 4 rectangle head lights, hence i @$$umed 62. should've read more n looked at pictures less :hillbilly:

I mounted the Seatbelt Planet non-retractable shoulder belts in my 1985 FJ60. This is what I got: SKU 50359-V01

The description says "1985-87" but I'm not sure what the difference is with your earlier model. I had the threaded pillar nut and installation was super easy. All hardware was included and I remember the customer service guy at Seatbelt Planet being very helpful with some questions I had before buying.

I have the tan/brown interior and went with #34 "Brown" and it looks good. Not a perfect match but close enough. The receivers and all plastic parts look 80s enough.
Awesome, thank you so much! I really like the look of the non-retractable ones. I'll look into it. Legend

Yeah, it was whether or not anyone has three lap-sash belts, or has two retractable and one lap-sash in the middle. Was a little confused as I had conflicting research details!
I'll look into the links. Thanks for the help mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom