1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear quarter panel armor - FINALLY!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by jcardona1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Marine7

Marine7

Media:
    Albums:
    I think I went out with this girl once! Small world! I think she used to work at the Driftwood Lounge outside the main gate of Camp Lejuene! Tell her I said “Hi”!

2. greentruck

greentruck

Albums:
    This would certainly help cover up my boo-booed left rear quarter panel. I'd probably need a pair, though, or it will look half-arsed.:moon:

mingles likes this.
  3. cybrstar

cybrstar

Media:
    Seriously 3/16? (What are we building a arb bumper)

With the surface area that the 1/8 of an inch is covering, all that pressure on that thick of a steel, especially how big of a surface area it’s covering and the sheet metal behind it will be really tough to crush. IMHO.

Seriously again, you really going to SLAM that quarter panel that hard in its ARSE END with an 80? If I knew I would hit that hard I would reverse and say maybe a different line......

And that towel rack thingy, that’s what’s going to stop you from hopefully busting out your rear glass and even help you push away from a rock from crushing your rear upper body. (If you didn’t know already it’s a common install on the lighter 1st gen 4runner/minitruck from crushing the top of the beds)

I get you @jcardona1, you want to take the 80 to the limit but not to the point where you have to cage the damn thing... like it doesn’t have enough weight on it already.
    A1A32ED2-BB33-44E7-8701-A215C688A0B6.jpeg
    @jcardona1......Keep doing the daymn thing!

NateMob likes this.
  4. White Stripe

White Stripe

I just think about lifting a front tire on obstacle while the opposing quarter panel gets pushed into a rock or tree. 80s are heavy, they aren't jeeps. Sometimes the only line is to squeeze through. But hey, if 1/8 isn't thick enough then I'm sure time will tell.

5. mr jits

mr jits SILVER Star

The 1/8" I have on the corners of my 40 have taken some decent hits and no dents. It's plenty when backed by the body.
    @jcardona1 , I really like the corners. Great addition to your rig.

6. scottryana

scottryana

Albums:
    Looks great! But I would only consider it, if it was at least 1/2” heat treated 4340, and used recessed Lamborghini taillights and was less than $100, and had provisions to bolt to all the rock slider and rear bumpers out there. With a swing out tire carrier.

In all seriousness I really like it and don’t let anyone persuade you to change a thing. I think I would bond the armor and rear quarter together with panel adhesive to prevent them from rattling against each other or from rubbing the paint/coating off one another and having water sit behind the armor and cause rust. But you’d never get them off if you wanted to take them off. Lol

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    mingles and SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr like this.
  7. bwakeling

bwakeling

I like it. It will look good with some paint on it.

8. RFB

RFB 97 FZJ80 LIFTED BLOWN DUAL BATTERIES,37s SILVER Star

Media:
    Dude you and your rig are almost legend(soup bowl) you can do whatever you like JMO

9. junior80

junior80

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't think it's your style but you could probably hinge a nice full width rear wheel/can carrier from rear face of that armour now.