Rear quarter panel armor - FINALLY! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea, but the money I saved buying truck stop lights more than payed for a tube of dialectic grease, and a can of liquid tape! :flipoff2:
The liquid electrical tape is sweet! Works decent. I like the uniformity of the nicer ones, but it is nice to have a easy to find plug and play setup at any truck stop! They can get out of hand at 50 to 100 each for the nicer ones.

@jcardona1 there are a couple of companies that make those leds as dual function, so you can get one that lights up red and white, o red/amber so one light does two things. Let me see if I can find you a link.

Here goes one set.
4" Dual Revolution Red/White LED Light | Iowa80.com

6-1/2" 12 LED Oval Dual Revolution Light | Iowa80.com

Last edited:
C'mon! I know I may have put on a few pounds lately, but certainly not enough to be testing the weight limits on those bars!!:frown:

Do it!
A lot of compliment fish in Hawaii? Cause you sure are good at fishing for em. Seriously though, you know dang well that your weight had nothing to do with @retrofive 's comment. Half the 80 forum is waiting for you to say you have a single twin sister you've been hiding.

Y'know, those side bars might make good ladder steps to get to the roof with a little tinkering. Some kind of traction aid like checkering/knurling/expanded metal or even just some skateboard tape and maybe extend them outward a little? Or add another step in the middle somewhere? Could make for a really nice armor/utility setup.:grinpimp:

I like that idea more than trying to home-duplicate the factory optional ladder setup with the D-pillar steps and reinforcing panels, this alternative seems like getting two birds with one stone and all that.

Shipping large heavy panels from the west coast would probably be cost prohibitive in my case, but I can see picking up some thin plate, firing up the plasma and TIG, and seeing what happens after a few #6's.

I'd want to keep my factory tailights for one thing, and probably figure an attachment or some kind of bracing to work off my 4x4 Labs rear bumper to help spread the weight of a laden climber out some, but seems like the concept should be pretty solid.

Great fab job!:clap::cheers:

Last edited:
C'mon! I know I may have put on a few pounds lately, but certainly not enough to be testing the weight limits on those bars!!:frown:

Do it!

Prove it!

Or

Pics or it didn’t happen!

;)

@jcardona1.......

There isn’t a big enough to load on this site, but there you go again.

One of the few REAL innovators of current times.

They look Great, nice retro mod look. Reminds me of the FJ 55’s from the back.

And these will save your Arse end from turning the quarter panel into a beer can for those of us that wheel.

Yea, but the money I saved buying truck stop lights more than payed for a tube of dialectic grease, and a can of liquid tape! :flipoff2:

If your gunna beat it up in the rocks why spend the big $$$ on 'em? You do a lot of deep water fords too?

The challenge with the 80 is that curvy behind she has.
That's curve shameing!
you know dang well that your weight had nothing to do with @retrofive 's comment. Half the 80 forum is waiting for you to say you have a single twin sister you've been hiding.
Sadly, I have retired from the armor hanging and testing business. Too much ridicule from this very forum for my non OSHA approved footwear and improper form.
IMG_2078.JPG

Prove it!

Or

Pics or it didn’t happen!

;)
Unfortunately, the proof is in the pics lately.
IMG_1125.JPG

man i might need to sell my land cruisers now after this thread. apparently you cant get laid if you own one and are limited to chasing after forum women :flipoff2:

There's more than one on MUD?

That's curve shameing!

Sadly, I have retired from the armor hanging and testing business. Too much ridicule from this very forum for my non OSHA approved footwear and improper form.
View attachment 1574052

View attachment 1574053

Can you post a name and phone number for this honey? Some of the younger single guys may be interested!!

man i might need to sell my land cruisers now after this thread. apparently you cant get laid if you own one and are limited to chasing after forum women :flipoff2:
If you own a land cruiser in Eugene, Oregon you're definitely not getting the ladies. All you get is harassed. People at the college put notes your cruiser accusing you of having small junk and telling you how environmentally unsound and unnecessary your vehicle is; or since all the parking is labeled compact they remark on how the cruiser is anything but compact. I thought about loosening some bolts and hoses to make it extra leaky just to mess with them. I hate living in a state full of brainwashed liberals and hippies. They actually think their Prius' and electric cars have a lower carbon footprint than everyone else's vehicle. News flash, mining operations for the battery and copper for the electric motor mixed with the average longevity of those parts ensures you'll likely replace them before your crap has paid off its carbon footprint making it more environmentally unsound. Oh and then disposing of the battery and the fact that the vehicle needs recharged and a vast majority of grid power still comes from coal power plants?...do they honestly believe all of that electricity comes from clean sources? AHHHHH!!! Tirade concluded...I digress.

Last edited:
That's curve shameing!

View attachment 1574052

View attachment 1574053
A classic example of curvey as the word is meant to be used, the lady in blue; and the new age definition of curvy/Craigslist curvy the creature in pink. I wish more people understood the difference.

If you own a land cruiser in Eugene, Oregon you're definitely not getting the ladies. All you get is harassed. People at the college put notes your cruiser accusing you of having small junk and tell you how environmentally unsound and unnecessary your vehicle is; or since all the parking is labeled compact they remark on how the cruiser is anything but compact. I thought about loosening so bolts and hoses to make it extra leaky just to mess with them. I hate living in a state full of brainwashed liberals and hippie. They actually think their Prius' and electric cars have a lower carbon footprint that everyone else's vehicle. News flash, mining operations For the battery and electric motor mixed with the average longevity of those parts ensures you'll likely replace them before your crap has paid off its carbon footprint making it more environmentally unsound. Oh and then disposing of the battery and the fact that the vehicle need recharged...do the honestly believe all of that come electricity comes from clean sources? AHHHHH!!! Tirade concluded...I digress.
:lol: Yup. I grew up in Ashland. Parents still live there. I've loaned my truck to them them a couple times. The stories my mom has told me after her running around town in for a week are hysterical.

I would have done at least 3/16". 1/8 is awfully thin when a 80 is jammin on a tree or rock. I guess youll find out for sure during testing. I probably would have brought it up each side of the c pillar window to the roof rail while at it as that area is prone to hitting stuff and the roof rail is pretty robust as far as strength. I like the bends in it and how it attaches in the rear opening area. I think liner is a great way to coat the underside.

This thread puts a new twist on tech. :confused:

If your gunna beat it up in the rocks why spend the big $$$ on 'em? You do a lot of deep water fords too?

No... I agree with you. Anyone that actually wheels their 80 would be a fool to sink big money on some rear lights that are going to get smashed! I’m saying that by using liquid tape and dialectic grease you can make the cheaper truck stop lights just as waterproof as the big $ lights with their fancy plug boots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom