Rear Glass Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, I need to remove my rear hatch glass to sand and prep where some cancer has crept into one corner. I know I need to replace the weather stripping once I go to put it back in but, I have never removed any glass on a truck ever. Any tips? I'm assuming I pop the little links out of the sides with a non-marring trim tool but I got noting after that.

Have you removed the hatch itself from the truck? I believe you can pull the chrome strip out of the weatherstrip and then carefully (preferably with a helper on the other side) work the weatherstrip from the outside to the inside of the hatch (in perspective of the truck). Reinstalling though, I'm lost too, but I do have my hatch on my list of rust repair as well.

Would I be correct in guessing your cancer is on the lower driver's side of the glass?

These will help you a lot.

We did this task a while back and its not that hard. I found it was easier with hatch still mounted on the truck. That way I was fighting just the glass and not chasing the hatch around. We removed the little lock tab on the inside. From there with a helper on the outside of the supporting the glass I started working the inside lip of the seal and pushing out. The glass and seal should come out together. I did have to run a small razor knife around the outer part of the seal as someone had sealed it to the truck. I started in one corner and worked around using several of those trim tools to keep it from slipping back in. I did a complete paint and installed a new seal for the install. Good Luck.

We did this task a while back and its not that hard. I found it was easier with hatch still mounted on the truck. That way I was fighting just the glass and not chasing the hatch around. We removed the little lock tab on the inside. From there with a helper on the outside of the supporting the glass I started working the inside lip of the seal and pushing out. The glass and seal should come out together. I did have to run a small razor knife around the outer part of the seal as someone had sealed it to the truck. I started in one corner and worked around using several of those trim tools to keep it from slipping back in. I did a complete paint and installed a new seal for the install. Good Luck.
Did you use anything to seal the glass and body grooves in the new weatherstrip? I had been under the impression (admittedly without verifying) that new OEM rear glass weatherstrip was NLA. Would love to be wrong in that regard.....

No need to overthink it. Here's what the FSM has to say:

1691083972574.png

If you're not reusing the weatherstrip, the manual just says to cut the outside lip and pull the glass out.

Did you use anything to seal the glass and body grooves in the new weatherstrip? I had been under the impression (admittedly without verifying) that new OEM rear glass weatherstrip was NLA. Would love to be wrong in that regard.....
I was told by the glassman that helped me reinstall all the glass including the windshield that sealant wasn't needed any longer. Take that for what its worth. But he did say if it leaked he would redo it for free. I got my seals from City Glass and Precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom