Headliner insulation removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I have removed a lot of it but how do I get this nasty glue off!?

I’ve been using a scraper tool. Fj60 1984

image.jpg

Acetone in a sprayer - wear respirator and eye protection. Gloves & Long sleeves is a good idea too. Acetone is a skin irritant.

I tried all the chemicals... acetone, wax and grease remover, thinners.. nothing worked.

I ended up taking it off with a cup wire wheel on an angle grinder. Unless your prepared to go to bare metal you wont get all the glue off, but you WILL get all the insulation off and the glue thats left will be clean and strong and well capable of taking another layer of glue on top for your new insulation/deadening.

I used a wire wheel on a drill. It was nasty, wear a respirator.

This. I did this when i had the skin off for my roof repair but wire wheel took care of all of it in like 2 minutes. Finished off with some butyl sound deadening. Made a HUGE difference in cabin sound reduction.

C2BAC005-5D36-4BC3-9DB3-5FFE07D87B0E.jpeg

B915BEE8-A06B-423D-B6D4-D09DBE26BB3D.jpeg

110AF7BC-763A-4E21-A284-F56F9E693CDA.jpeg

How did you cut your roof off? What was the repair that you did? My rain gutters may be seeping in water might have to do what you did

It’s in my build thread in my signature but my signature also has a thread specifically for removing the roof skin.

if you can find a way to hold dry ice up there, it'll freeze it then you can scrape it off. i know there are some chemical sprays that have the same effect. Maybe see if there is a dry ice blasting service in your area and have it dry ice blasted. that'll remove it but save the paint.

Is this stuff natural fiber, like does it burn? or is it synthetic and it melts?
idk

i scraped as much of it off as I could and it was miserable. once I heated it the glue backing with scrape right off and it will come off clean. i wasn’t burning it off per se just heating it to melt the glue so it would scrape off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom