Rear fender/seat mount area. Repair options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 84, this is by far the worst area for rust. Passenger side is worse, but both sides need addressed.

There is reinforcement here for the rear seat mounts. That's specifically what I'm wondering about. I can cut out tge offending area and replace it with a single patch, but what about the other piece?

Is it available? Does it have a name?

20231115_174314.jpg
20231115_174354.jpg

Thanks

New panels not available.

When repairing sections with multiple layers, you repair one at a time. Drill the spot-welds on the seat bracket, then cut and patch each metal skin. Make a larger hole in the skin which is nearer you in terms of the side you are working from. Make a decent butt-weld on the skins, flatten your welds carefully with the edge of a flap disc, paint in weld-through primer, then patch the next, larger hole. Do the same for that repair, then plug weld the bracket back on. Done properly, the repair should be invisible from either side.

That looks like a simple job where you can remove the bracket from the inside and the reinforcement plate from the outside, then repair a single skin.

This is a very rust-prone area, thanks to what I see as a terrible design. The open-ended "tubes" on the reinforcing plate get packed with mud and road grime and rust from the inside out. I repaired mine as follows (see pics below), but if I were to do it again, I think that removing the whole piece and replacing it with a flat piece of 14-gauge steel would be sufficiently strong. Obviously you will need to repair the fender itself first. On mine, only the lower lip of the inner fender needed replacing.

zz6265.jpg

zz6267.jpg

zz6268.jpg

(Note that mine is an FJ62, so it has a welded nut for the lower shoulder belt mount)

Last edited:
New panels not available.

When repairing sections with multiple layers, you repair one at a time. Drill the spot-welds on the seat bracket, then cut and patch each metal skin. Make a larger hole in the skin which is nearer you in terms of the side you are working from. Make a decent butt-weld on the skins, flatten your welds carefully with the edge of a flap disc, paint in weld-through primer, then patch the next, larger hole. Do the same for that repair, then plug weld the bracket back on. Done properly, the repair should be invisible from either side.

That looks like a simple job where you can remove the bracket from the inside and the reinforcement plate from the outside, then repair a single skin.
That's definitely good advice. The brace portion on the left side(previous picture) may be salvageable by drilling out the spot welds as you mentioned.

However, the one on the right is too far gone...

20231116_061351.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom