Rear Diff Chunks!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to drain and change my rear diff oil.

I had the usual slime on the magnet. But also had some small sharp chunks maybe 2-3mm square.

What would Corn pop do here?

Corn Pop Was a Bad Dude

Pics please

Thanx for the quick reply.

I spread it out on a paper towel. Now that it is away from the magnet, it feels like several thin shavings. Very brittle.

The "bunch" around 4:00 in the first picture was a single piece that was flat and crumbled to those small bits when I tried to move it around.

P1050256.JPG

P1050257.JPG

Think of it as chewing ice. Eventually, you'll chip a bit of a tooth during your lifetime.

Well, it's fine until it isn't. Those chunks of metal are chunks of gear teeth likely. So something is up. It may be ok for awhile, so I would run it, but watch for increasing gear noise and check for metal again in a few thousand miles.

Well, it's fine until it isn't. Those chunks of metal are chunks of gear teeth likely. So something is up. It may be ok for awhile, so I would run it, but watch for increasing gear noise and check for metal again in a few thousand miles.
Pretty unlikely. Everyone wonders this the first time they remove the magnet. Could be scale from the housing, flakes from the spider gears or side gears, etc. I doubt chunks are missing.

Pretty unlikely. Everyone wonders this the first time they remove the magnet. Could be scale from the housing, flakes from the spider gears or side gears, etc. I doubt chunks are missing.

It was mainly Flakes, very thing shavings. I thought it was chunks until you asked me for pix. I then went and dug it out of the trash can and spread it out.

It felt like a chunk or so at first because the magnet was holding the pieces together and it was hard. I normally expect only metal slime to be on those magnets. Something that felt like a chunk had me mortified :crybaby:

It was mainly Flakes, very thing shavings. I thought it was chunks until you asked me for pix. I then went and dug it out of the trash can and spread it out.

It felt like a chunk or so at first because the magnet was holding the pieces together and it was hard. I normally expect only metal slime to be on those magnets. Something that felt like a chunk had me mortified :crybaby:

That's pretty normal. don't worry. That's why the magnet is in the drain plug.

As @nukegoat said, you're fine.

Thought I would round this thread out with a few better pix. Two different pieces of Junk pictured.

Filled up the diff today and we'll watch it, or at least that's the plan.

P1050258.JPG

P1050259.JPG

P1050260.JPG

P1050261.JPG

google spalling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom