Diff Drop Essential? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think my next move is probably a 2" lift rather than skids for a few reasons. The truck just passed 289k, the shocks appear to be original, I've installed the Ironman drawer system (awesome), and a little room and stiffness are very much in order. After this I'm thinking rear bumper before front for a few reasons. Ironman has a sale going so the marginal expense between with and without is negligible if the drop is essential or very strongly recommended. Everything that I am reading here is that the drop is strongly recommended.

The drop is counterintuitive for me because while I'm making space I'm also bringing an essential component back to the original height where it is as likely as before to incur damage. Additionally many of the skid systems I'm looking at have drops that are part of their system and I don't want to foreclose those options or buy more parts than I need. If I'm being realistic the desire to avoid blowing CVs should probably outweigh those two inches of additional diff clearance. The truck is on 285/75-16 Geolander MT in Kentucky where rocks in the mud make me sweat. I know this is an issue that has had a lot of prior input but I'm very open to some thoughts here.

Diff drop only lowers the diff by 3/4”. Not 2” like you said

It’s good insurance

The diff drop won’t be the looming favorite off-road for the fat pig 100.

Simple, NO!
Don't raise front over 1.5 inches. Use bigger tires to gain (actual) height. Reboot both CVEs with OEM kit with the lift. Or be ready to do it anytime after the lift.

My 2 cents

yeah right, and Toyota got this right and now we got to spend $$$ fixing it? The only differential lift is bigger tires but if you want to raise the body because it looks sexy then go ahead, mate. Most upgrades posted here are decorative and that is fine as we want the car to look sharp but not sharp enough to bash it up on the trail. They are Cruisers and low-slung but can do the most incredible things off-road in comfort . Why **** with that?

yeah right, and Toyota got this right and now we got to spend $$$ fixing it? The only differential lift is bigger tires but if you want to raise the body because it looks sexy then go ahead, mate. Most upgrades posted here are decorative and that is fine as we want the car to look sharp but not sharp enough to bash it up on the trail. They are Cruisers and low-slung but can do the most incredible things off-road in comfort . Why f*** with that?
Not sure where the aggro is coming from but you can miss me with it. I've upgraded to the largest tire possible without having to do additional modification. Wanting to create a few more inches both at my sliders and underneath in order to worry less about rock damage may be silly to you but it is not to me. I am aware of the purpose and benefits of a LC100 which is the reason I own one and not some solid front axle flexy rock bouncer. My prior posts show how impressed I am with this vehicle on stock tires doing offroad stuff. Stiffer higher suspension to create room and deal with the additional weight I am putting on it are the issues I'm addressing.

I vote drop the diff, raise front, and buy bigger tires.

Not sure where the aggro is coming from but you can miss me with it. I've upgraded to the largest tire possible without having to do additional modification. Wanting to create a few more inches both at my sliders and underneath in order to worry less about rock damage may be silly to you but it is not to me. I am aware of the purpose and benefits of a LC100 which is the reason I own one and not some solid front axle flexy rock bouncer. My prior posts show how impressed I am with this vehicle on stock tires doing offroad stuff. Stiffer higher suspension to create room and deal with the additional weight I am putting on it are the issues I'm addressing.
Apologies and that was needlessly aggressive. I do a lot of bushwork but not in rocky terrain and find the car surprisingly adequate in mud and sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom