Questions on pulling 3rd member, rear Diff (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys... been searching but couldnt find specific answer to this... would like some input from those who have experience.
Im planning to pull my 3rd member soon, ('04 LX, 280k miles) and I know the easy was is to pull the axles out about 6-8", so they are completely pulled out of the diff, but not pulled out of the axle housing.

Question is... When the axles are pulled out (6-8") and i let them rest in that position, so I can pull the 3rd member assembly... will the axles be sitting on (crushing) the axles seals?
I know some people just do that, but I'd like to know for sure. Worst case is I'd be pulling the axles out completely and replace all the axle seals/O-ring, but hoping to just keep it simple.

Hey guys... been searching but couldnt find specific answer to this... would like some input from those who have experience.
Im planning to pull my 3rd member soon, ('04 LX, 280k miles) and I know the easy was is to pull the axles out about 6-8", so they are completely pulled out of the diff, but not pulled out of the axle housing.

Question is... When the axles are pulled out (6-8") and i let them rest in that position, so I can pull the 3rd member assembly... will the axles be sitting on (crushing) the axles seals?
I know some people just do that, but I'd like to know for sure. Worst case is I'd be pulling the axles out completely and replace all the axle seals/O-ring, but hoping to just keep it simple.
You can pull them out completely without replacing the seals, should reseal fine as long as you are careful during the removal. I wouldn't let them rest on the seals personally.

You can pull them out completely without replacing the seals, should reseal fine as long as you are careful during the removal. I wouldn't let them rest on the seals personally.
Pressing new seal rings on is a bear of a job, might as well do the bearing while doing that job. I wouldn't recommend tackling that unless you're leaking or suspect you have a bad bearing.

Pressing new seal rings on is a bear of a job, might as well do the bearing while doing that job. I wouldn't recommend tackling that unless you're leaking or suspect you have a bad bearing.
Thanks... Yea I'll just try to support the axle so they dont sit on the seals. I have no issues w/ seals or bearings at the moment, and hoping to leave them alone this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom