Rear coil spring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My current plan is to upgrade the suspension in a modest fashion. It is currently stock, but I want to match the springs to the load. I am planning to pull an overlanding trailer with tongue weight of 400#. However, that will not be full time. So how do I best compensate for this? The dobinson kits I am looking at has many rear spring options, which I suspect will be best case here. Will it make as much drivability difference unloaded as the front would not sprung correctly? Any input would be appreciated.

Airbags are a good option for periodic towing.
That is the answer, thank you. I'm assuming to then spring the rear based on not towing?

I have OME heavy springs all around from previous owner. When I added the drawer system and loaded it, the back squatted just a bit (by the look of it, although it didn’t measure lower). When I had trailer built this year, it sagged a bit more. Considered various options (including air bags), but ultimately just added 1” spacer and that made it pretty much perfect with or without the trailer. Drives great. Haven’t weighed trailer yet, but I suspect tongue weight 500+ lbs with the design of it and when fully loaded including a 2 Yeti configuration…

1702919092495.jpeg

1702919128926.jpeg

I have OME heavy springs all around from previous owner. When I added the drawer system and loaded it, the back squatted just a bit (by the look of it, although it didn’t measure lower). When I had trailer built this year, it sagged a bit more. Considered various options (including air bags), but ultimately just added 1” spacer and that made it pretty much perfect with or without the trailer. Drives great. Haven’t weighed trailer yet, but I suspect tongue weight 500+ lbs with the design of it and when fully loaded including a 2 Yeti configuration…
With the spacer you definitely lift the body, but it does not really address the preload you have on your springs. For your set up it does not seem to affect the handling, which is a little of what I was originally asking. How much does more rear end preload affect driving in a situation like this? Which is a bit of a rhetorical question and one that depends on person and activities. Do you feel like the ride quality is pretty good?

I have the Dobinsons 223V rear coils (220lbs load) and haven't noticed any issues when it's empty other than a slight rake (higher in the rear). The nice thing about coils is that they will be trouble free compared to airbags and it's not difficult to have 200lbs of gear in the back much of the time anyway (tools and such).

When I hauled my motorcycle on a hitch carrier (300lbs) it was like it wasn't even there.

What kind of overlanding trailer has a tongue weight of 400lbs? if you truly have that much weight then I'd definitely go with heavier springs.

No load in the rear (not even a full tank of fuel) right after the springs were installed a few years ago. With my normal load in the back (100lbs) it sits a bit more flat.

1702922074835.png

With all due respect, I disagree that running heavier rear spring all the time is an ideal solution to an infrequent heavier load. It changes handling, ride quality, noise vibration and harshness.

Every suspension os a compromise and you will likely pay a price, either when unloaded or when you tow. Toyota engineers optimized the ideal compromise for the intended uses.

Sticking with stock springs gives the best compromise street handling.

Adding airbags lets one add spring rate when they need it and not when you don't.

I have struggled with this on my 200 series - I have 2721 springs which are ideal for my rig while unloaded, and 2724 for when I am running heavy for long trips. The front (King) coilovers need to be adjusted and it realigned when I change it over, so it is a hassle. Driving the rig with 2724 unloaded makes it oversprung. It is drivable, but far from ideal.

Agree on the spacers. The ride quality is excellent with and without a load. I attribute that to the heavier springs which will allow for more preload. It wasn’t my choice up front as that’s how the set up came to me…but I wouldn’t change a thing (considering my uses of the truck).

With all due respect, I disagree that running heavier rear spring all the time is an ideal solution to an infrequent heavier load. It changes handling, ride quality, noise vibration and harshness.

Every suspension os a compromise and you will likely pay a price, either when unloaded or when you tow. Toyota engineers optimized the ideal compromise for the intended uses.

Adding airbags lets one add spring rate when they need it and not when you don't.

I have struggled with this on my 200 series - I have 2721 springs which are ideal for my rig while unloaded, and 2724 for when I am running heavy for long trips. The front (King) coilovers need to be adjusted and it realigned when I change it over, so it is a hassle. Driving the rig with 2724 unloaded makes it oversprung. It is drivable, but far from ideal.
Agree for sure, if mainly a street truck and not routinely towing

I would agree for a truly heavy spring but going with a progressive spring with a slight overload hasn't made a noticeable difference on mine. Not sure about the 200 series, sounds like its more of an issue on those.

I run a about a 3" Dobinson spring (dont remember the number). Good support and articulation. Inside the spring I run poly style air bags for when I tow my trailer. For me, this is the best of both worlds. I've been told, if I'm hard on the truck, the poly bags will tear. Not only am I brutal on it but the bags are 6-7 years old.
So far so good.

I run a about a 3" Dobinson spring (dont remember the number). Good support and articulation. Inside the spring I run poly style air bags for when I tow my trailer. For me, this is the best of both worlds. I've been told, if I'm hard on the truck, the poly bags will tear. Not only am I brutal on it but the bags are 6-7 years old.
So far so good.
What bags do you run?

I run the air lift 1000's. My buddy runs the firestones. Don't remember the part numbers. I remember when I got them, there weren't a bunch of options at the time. I didn't order them by vehicle. I looked up the size in their chart because I needed a bit longer.

My current plan is to upgrade the suspension in a modest fashion. It is currently stock, but I want to match the springs to the load. I am planning to pull an overlanding trailer with tongue weight of 400#. However, that will not be full time. So how do I best compensate for this? The dobinson kits I am looking at has many rear spring options, which I suspect will be best case here. Will it make as much drivability difference unloaded as the front would not sprung correctly? Any input would be appreciated.

As easy as it is to change the springs, why not just swap out to heavier springs when you tow?

As easy as it is to change the springs, why not just swap out to heavier springs when you tow?
I would be remote with towing and overlanding. Not impossible but a little less feasible in that setting.

I would be remote with towing and overlanding. Not impossible but a little less feasible in that setting.

Not changing in the field, prior to the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom