80 series coil springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks.
Been lurking for a while and now have myself an 80 - an HDJ81.

It needs some new suspension parts. In the rear it's got Dobinsons C59-243 linear coils which are listed as standard height with what appears to be OEM shocks.
The front end is stock standard as far as I can tell.
Once I've done some basic maintenance I'm going to replace all shocks and definitely the front coils. Trying to decide which coils to go with in the front. It sits nose down at the moment which I think is partly factory intended but exacerbated by the old gear up front and new coils in the rear. I may fit a front bull bar down the line which is somewhere in the vicinity of 65kg (143 pounds).
It looks like my options are:
  1. C59-174 standard height Linear which is the match for the rears I believe (no specified constant load rating)
  2. C59-168 Linear which give a 45mm (1.77 inches) lift and are rated for a 50kg load
  3. C59-166 Linear which give a 45mm (1.77 inches) lift and are rated for a 100kg load
I don't mind the slightly nose down look but think I'd prefer it to sit level front and rear.
If I go for C59-166 or even the 168 with the intention of fitting a bull bar I'm concerned it'll sit front high and or ride too hard until a bull bar is fitted.

Does anyone have experience with a similar choice? What would you go for?

Cruiser.jpeg

If only it was that easy 😂
There are to many variables, your driving style, what you want to do with it, DD, overland rig, trail rig, rock crawler. how much armor & gear will it carry ?
Best to get it built the way you want it get it weighed and work from there ;)

Thanks @Broski
Yup, well aware of those variables and the complexities - just wanted to bounce it off some folks and see if there was any input. :cool:
I have taken the first step and gone with the heavier duty springs up front. The main drivers for this were the fact it's a diesel 24 volt start twin battery and my expectation of fitting a bull bar in the not too distant future.
With this done and the new shocks all around, the ride is amazing compared to how it was. The bits I pulled out look pretty sad. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the new ride height when I can for others who may be interested in doing something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom