Rear bumper ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtpickettwoodworking.com
Does anybody make these things? While not much (ok, nothing).... is left of my 55's body, I have to keep this rear NATO pattern bumper. I will make a right hand end if I have to.
4755 2.JPG

4755 4.JPG

4755 5.JPG

4755 3.JPG

I don't know of anyone making them, but I'm sure one of the guys has one you could massage into shape.

The thing that pisses me off is that I was having a bit of fun about ten years ago doing some wheeling on my property here and I remember seeing that right side bumper end laying in the mud a couple weeks later. Just didn't seem that important to go back and get it back then. Dangit!

I have been looking at my bent ends for years trying to decide what to do.
I have considered getting them made. I'm guessing it would be cheap however.

I was also thinking about making them stronger be hiding a brace back to the chassis.

The thing that pisses me off is that I was having a bit of fun about ten years ago doing some wheeling on my property here and I remember seeing that right side bumper end laying in the mud a couple weeks later. Just didn't seem that important to go back and get it back then. Dangit!
Time to buy a metal detector?

Wow, where do they find that stuff over there? I'm thinking it might be better for the body to make those ends out of plastic.

Wow, where do they find that stuff over there? I'm thinking it might be better for the body to make those ends out of plastic.
That guy has quite a bit of NOS 55 parts. He's quite proud of them unfortunately.

My dented & rusted ones add character...yeah that’s it, character.

Spent *(wasted) most of the morning collecting steel sections with radiused corners from the three scrap piles on my property... (42 years worth), like angle and channel and square tubing. I could picture fabricating a right hand end and I think I could do an acceptable job.... BUT the welding, cutting, grinding, yes, some bondo..... Or I place an ad in the classifieds here. My left came out quite well, pounding it out with a 3 lb hammer on an old growth fir stump. If I can find a crappy right side I would be miles ahead without the tedious fabricating.

Might as well be plastic. They offer no real protection and most times do more harm than good when called into service.
Again, should be called “Rear Quarter Panel Damage Multipliers.”

I came across this thread and I see I never posted up my solution. Had a piece of bent steel angle, maybe 11 gauge or so. 3" leg and 4" leg. Dis some slicing and dicing. Fits well and looks better than the one I pounded back to shape on the left side. That was more than a year ago and I'm still thinking of painting it. I am slowly painting the jalopy, but It's prime driving weather right now.

rear bumper 1.JPG

rear bumper 3.JPG

rear bumper 4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom