Rear Axle Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@GVegasG Sorry got a lot of questions from that last post- Was all that gear oil in the tub present when you pulled the axle?

Be sure you use a new Oring with a new OEM inner seal- also curious what tool you used to install the inner seal?

@GVegasG Sorry got a lot of questions from that last post- Was all that gear oil in the tub present when you pulled the axle?

Be sure you use a new Oring with a new OEM inner seal- also curious what tool you used to install the inner seal?
No worries at all. That is how we learn and help each other.
I am still waiting for the parts. Should arrive on Fri.
No, container was empty. All that gear oil is after I pulled the axle. I did not want to empty from the diff. However I am planning to measure to get an idea how much had leaked so far.
Yes planning to use new Oring as well.
For the seal install, I ordered kit. I think 65 mm would work. 72mm is too big. I wish there was something in between. I looked into using some pvc or abs pipes but no match so far.
I am putting the brakes back for rear DS tonight. Will try to keep the other side bit elevated to not get more gear oil out.

7793E118-3189-47FC-BA87-DB6283348334.jpeg

01F41E8B-58CD-4DA4-9047-C213E29E0254.jpeg

Not exactly sure what was used before.
Interestingly enough one side is dry. So the oil theory is probably out at this time.
I will keep an eye after changing the seal.
My rear axle came with synthetic gear oil when I bought the vehicle. It had leak on the passenger side. I switched to conventional gear lube and it has been leak free for 2 years.

My rear axle came with synthetic gear oil when I bought the vehicle. It had leak on the passenger side. I switched to conventional gear lube and it has been leak free for 2 years.
Great info. If the seal change does not help, I probably have to do that.

1663326785722.jpeg

Drag your fingernail over that wear groove on the spacer- if you feel any ridge- that points to part of the problem of gear oil working past the seal

View attachment 3116291
Drag your fingernail over that wear groove on the spacer- if you feel any ridge- that points to part of the problem of gear oil working past the seal
It is smooth and even. It also looks like seal is sitting in the middle which is where it should be based on my research.
I think perhaps my mechanic had not used synthetic before. However let’s be honest 23 years old car - probably time to change it. Will see after the change. Will probably have to tackle the other side later. There are no leaks but brake sensor was bit wet. So I think it is just matter of time before it gets outside.

It is smooth and even. It also looks like seal is sitting in the middle which is where it should be based on my research.
I think perhaps my mechanic had not used synthetic before. However let’s be honest 23 years old car - probably time to change it. Will see after the change. Will probably have to tackle the other side later. There are no leaks but brake sensor was bit wet. So I think it is just matter of time before it gets outside.
Benefit if you do the other side now before the gear oil leaks is you can likely just change the seals and not have to do the full bearing assembly. From my memory the seals are pretty cheap so that might be a good path forward so you dont have to press everything.

Agreed. Will tackle the other side after vacation :) Changing bearings is a different ball game.
Benefit if you do the other side now before the gear oil leaks is you can likely just change the seals and not have to do the full bearing assembly. From my memory the seals are pretty cheap so that might be a good path forward so you dont have to press everything.

Actually best way to check rear axle for leaks would be removing brake or speed sensor.

Is this seems right?

Finished one side. Used 2” PVC adapter to seat the seal. I used the white but both will work. Hopefully I did not push in too far which probably not possible.
I tried to do grease test for sealer to make sure it sits in the middle like before but did not quite work for me. That is probably it was not going all the way until I tighten the bolts.

CFEDA545-8D9D-4296-8871-48F7E44A5B14.jpeg

57456612-68D9-43DB-B808-13D39FB0F146.jpeg

11DE20EC-FE69-4460-AA1B-BCBBA541ED96.jpeg

69459CF0-55E6-4E7A-99A3-AB7FBB588A49.jpeg

Got the PS completed as well it was much easier because it was shorter/lighter and already had experience. So far so good but have drive few thousand miles to be sure.
Huge thanks to @Gnarwgn sending parts in timely. Great person to do a transaction with.

57AA011D-D86D-42AB-92FF-2396DE19E70C.jpeg

52824C6F-B93A-49C0-A260-DECD3BAFFF42.jpeg

Update: it is still leaking, more on DS. I think I have no choice but to change the bearings.
I really don’t want to buy press and the tools from eBay. Perhaps can find a shop nearby in SoCal that can press out and press in.
Not happy :(

18EA0011-5836-4CF7-9AE1-D600B3DAC2E7.jpeg

B5606C2A-0EBD-4745-A3D7-C9B2ED7E91E2.jpeg

@JunkCrzr89 made a valid point, in an unrelated thread on oil pump o-ring. Where "I mentioned' I now recommending we preemptively add AT-205 to engine oil and all gear boxes.

He noted that: rear axle seal leak, is sign bearing(s) need replacing. But it's the chicken or the egg story. Gear lube getting into bearing grease, will damage bearing as grease than fails. Bearing play/vibration, will damage seal.

@GVegasG it would seem you prove his point, at least in your case. This assumes installed seals correctly, breather working as it should, gear lube not overfilled and no excessive vibration.

Side notes:
Rubber plasticizer;
AT-205 was unavailable 2002-21. A proponent of it's use, on Youtube. Is sure formula has now been changed. Due to smell test of old vs new.
We've all seen issue with plastic (Toyota AHC fluid in plastic bottles), gloves and even storage of plastic bottles for water. So it's concerning, we may not have a good plasticzer available today!.

Lubing seals for assembly;
I was just speaking with a retired master tech. We were on the subject of O-rings. I made a solid recommendation to me. Tht is the lube best used on rubber o-rings during assembly. Seals also need lubing for assembly. He recommends what the manufactures use: 3M Silicone paste 08946. I've been using M1 grease on diff seals and Nylog on AC o-rings and some engine o-rings and Toyota rubber grease on brake O-rings, pins and boots. He said the 3m is used for all factory. I'm add a bottle to my shelve.

He noted that: rear axle seal leak, is sign bearing(s) need replacing. But it's the chicken or the egg story. Gear lube getting into bearing grease, will damage bearing as grease than fails. Bearing play/vibration, will damage seal.

@GVegasG it would seem you prove his point, at least in your case. This assumes installed seals correctly, breather working as it should, gear lube not overfilled and no excessive vibration.
I agree @2001LC

I really don’t want to buy press and the tools from eBay. Perhaps can find a shop nearby in SoCal that can press out and press in.
Don’t fret - With a little ingenuity and elbow grease, you can replace the bearings without a press or SST. Just Google “Toyota pickup 4runner Tacoma replace rear axle seals bearings without press”. There are plenty of videos showing how to do it without a press. Although the axles are different on those vehicles compared to a 100, they all are semi-float with the bearings pressed into the hub/onto the shaft the same way.

Obviously, having a press and the SST will be the easiest/best way to swap the bearings. But workarounds exist - after all, Cruisers are supposed to be repairable in the middle of nowhere.

Turns out I have a very old one on my shelf. :)
It was actually given to my by a master tech long long time ago. Hopefully they don’t expire.

C9B15317-F339-4AF6-892D-A7667DC01518.jpeg

Good quality dino lube...for the win. Foegett syn for this application.

I never changed the bearings It is not wet behind the wheels. So changing just seals helped a lot but time will tell.
Also learning to ignore some things and not be perfectionist since I have more cars now to take care :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom