2007 LC rear leak mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2007 LC that has water in the 3rd row seating well. Tracked the leak to the passenger side. Removed the rear quarter panel, looks like it’s coming in from the window. The seals look fantastic with no obvious signs of damage. The only issue that I see is the one main strip that runs on the right side of the outside window has a crack in it as shown in the picture could that be the source of a leak? If not any other ideas?. If so, is it something that could be fixed with silicone or do I need to order a new part? It looks like it’s cracked on both sides of my car but it’s only leaking on one side.

Thanks in advance for your help/time.

IMG_5670.jpeg

IMG_5668.jpeg

IMG_5667.jpeg

IMG_5666.jpeg

IMG_5665.jpeg

^^ ditto.

Same crack is on my LC but is not the source of any water ingress.
If it's not the moon roof drain, check the bolts holding the rack on.
If your vehicle has an aftermarket rack, the bolt holes may be leaking.
Best to use some silicone to seal them up.

Also have that crack and no leaks. But, i had similar water intrusion and tracked it to the 3rd brake light. Big thread on that. Options are to buy a new one at $300 last time i checked or silicone it. I went with silicone and hasn’t leaked in over a year.

Best way to diagnose where yours is coming from is to sit back there with someone spraying a water hose over the roof and you’ll see it coming in. Since you already have the trim removed I’ddo that before i put it all back together.

As suggested on another thread, I turned the heater on full blast/fresh air, closed all the windows and then went around all possible leak source areas with soapy water. The only bubbles that were coming up were on all 4 driver & passenger window trim (at the bottom). They all looked normal (and I suppose it makes sense for air to escape there because of the windows, but it did not look like it was a gaping hole, the bubbles were small. I did find a suspiciously larger bubble over the rear passenger window on the passenger side. It's the lower trim piece that has a hole in the end (added pictures below). The hole is identical on the other side so I assume this is a vent or drain? In any case, that is where the biggest bubbles were coming from and it's also in the same spot where the leak is coming in on the other side.

Soooo, my question is, are those holes on the trim by design? Is it a drain? Any function to it?

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.36.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.36.42 PM.png

As suggested on another thread, I turned the heater on full blast/fresh air, closed all the windows and then went around all possible leak source areas with soapy water. The only bubbles that were coming up were on all 4 driver & passenger window trim (at the bottom). They all looked normal (and I suppose it makes sense for air to escape there because of the windows, but it did not look like it was a gaping hole, the bubbles were small. I did find a suspiciously larger bubble over the rear passenger window on the passenger side. It's the lower trim piece that has a hole in the end (added pictures below). The hole is identical on the other side so I assume this is a vent or drain? In any case, that is where the biggest bubbles were coming from and it's also in the same spot where the leak is coming in on the other side.

Soooo, my question is, are those holes on the trim by design? Is it a drain? Any function to it?

View attachment 3462953

View attachment 3462954
w/r heater method, this most rearward roof pillars have "1-way" flap vents just for that purpose.....relieving biuld up of interior pressure. At least that is what I think they are for (having rebuilt one).

Not sure you would biuld up enough pressure to drive leak area to bubble....but worth a try.

I had the same passenger side leak in my 2000 LC and it was the Quarter Belt Moulding. The gaskets deteriorate over time and let water in. The same thing happened on my 80. I did things right by removing the window to install the new moulding but it was pretty straightforward. The picture shows my new driver side piece which I haven’t installed yet. I really don’t think it’s the third brake light causing your problem here.

IMG_0639.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom