Rear axle leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red Beard

Cruisin'
Threads
Website
cruisin4parts.com
Haven’t driven in a week. Came home to a small oil puddle nearby the DS rear tire. Looks like oil is dripping off of the rear control arm. I can’t really tell what’s leaking because of the oily undercoating.

Before I start cleaning up a ton of oil, any ideas? AHC or Axle leak?

IMG_1171.jpeg

As MEDTRO said, axle seal will leak onto the rim. You can pull the ABS sensor out to check if the cavity is full of oil. Oh, and axle oil stinks........s

@medtro was away for a week and it sat in the garage. First time noticing this leak.

@beatle_bayly yeah I have the oil a good sniff, didn’t have a strong gear oil smell.

Which is leading me to believe the rear AHC line job is coming sooner rather than later 😔

I’m going to clean up oil and see if I can find the source. Thanks for the help.

Yep, it’s a small leak from the AHC hardline that runs next to the gas tank. Looks like it leaks down onto the rear control arm and blows back onto the spring when driving.

The AHC fluid is about a centimeter below the MIN line in High.

I’m happy I already have the parts, but not happy to do this job. It doesn’t look fun.

Included some photos of the leak to give you all an idea of how rusty things look and how much of a pancake my rear shock bushing is.

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1180.jpeg

IMG_1183.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom