Random chit chat thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to find used efficient, reliable, comfortable commuter. Reaching out to the masses for some feedback.
Thinking about a CT200,
Civic- not real fond of it
Subaru- price point and MPGs aren’t that impressive IMO.

What are you guys running? It will be used for 99% highway, about 3 days a week, 300-400 miles a week.

I’ve had both Accords and Camrys for that purpose. Both worked well

I would drive a CT 200, go test drive one.
I'd like to hear your insights....
This, Molly has one. We love this little car. We drive 20 hrs straight to Florida. 40 mpg, the newlux wears like iron. Good looks. Just get a 14 or newer so you can turn of traction control when it snows.

Thanks for the insight fellas! Forgot to mention Accord and Camry as well. I’ll add them to the list. I had a newer Camry for a loaner last year and it was actually pretty nice to drive.
Not too concerned about bad weather as we have 1 AWD and 2 4WDs in the driveway.

If the CT feels too small there is also the ES 350H. I have an AWD Matrix (ro7ghly the same size) as my daily now, but really miss my 05 Camry. The Camry was a base model but still did the job with the 2.4l and was roomy (and I could fit a 37" tall tire in the trunk comfortably lol). The Matrix is fully loaded but with the smaller engine, it is always pinned to the floor just to get out of it's own way, and tiny. I hear the newer Corollas are pretty nice two, have only driven a few base model but they seemed pretty peppy.

A totally unbiased viewpoint:

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

They need to watch the Top Gear episode where they are stuck in a Ski parking lot w/ the X6!

Lexus is finally warming up to the GX. Look what was debuted at the FJ SUMMIT.

I would drive a CT 200, go test drive one.
I'd like to hear your insights....
Ok, drove 2 different CTs, drove a couple ES350s, 2 camrys, shhh- Prius, a corolla, and a Honda Hybrid that so special that I can’t remember the model!

The CT was a let down for me. Just not what I expected in a Lexus. Lots of road noise, not too comfortable either. Don’t think I’d like as a daily commuter. Drove these at my local dealer. Have known the salesmen for more than 20 years now. He was worried about oil consumption w/ these models as well. There was a TSB issued for these and many reported instances so I’m going to steer clear.
Next was the Prius. Drove to say I did. Wasn’t bad, wasn’t good, definitely not something I want to crawl in and out of everyday.
The Camrys were good. Comfortable, plenty of power and MPGs but missing some creature comforts.
The corolla made it around the block and right back into the lot.
The ES350s were the most comfortable, like closing the door on a vault, could hear a pin drop in the cabin, plenty of power and MPGs were close...
For the money, I’ll probably sacrifice a few MPGs between the Camry and ES and get the ES.
If I can’t find the right one, may turn my wife’s 328 into my daily instead. 38 MPG on the HWY and all the power you want to play with.

I recently bought a 2016 Civic 1.5 liter turbo and I'm digging it. The 2007 Tundra with 170K miles as a DD was 'spensive. I was looking at hybrids and the CT200, in particular. I hadn't even considered the Civic, for one reason or another. Then I went and test drove one and really liked it. I can get 40-ish MPG (42 MPG on a 3 hour round trip to eastern MD) on straight highway driving, and I am averaging 36+ on my 66mi round trip commute in NOVA/DC traffic.
It isn't your parent's Civic. It's quiet, comfortable, and has giddy up when you want it and economy as well.
In my research, it is the best outfitted car for the money. Mine: 2016, 34K miles, 1.5T engine, CVT, Honda sensing (adaptive cruise, collision avoid, lane keeping and rear and side view cameras), touch screen with android auto.

@Stumpalama what trim package did you go with? I’m going to look at a few more options tonight and did a quick search for Civics. Looking like an EX-L might be the sweet spot? There are a few listed in the area I’m headed to.

Have been in trucks for the past 20 yrs, averaging 1K a week when busy. Last week I filled up the Tundra every day! So after a lot of consideration and soul searching, making a career shift. Leaving the truck behind (and gas card) for an office gig. 122 mi round trip, 3 days a week is tremendously better than I’ve been used to for many years.

Need to find something before the 5th or I’ll need to start a Go Fund Me in order to commute in the GX! Ha!

It is the EX-L. I wanted the turbo. I wanted the hatchback, but they didn't make it with the sensing and EX-L in 2016. I got mine with 34K on the ODO for under $19K all in. Based on reading a couple of your previous posts, the Civic may still be too "basic" for you. The Accord could be a good fit. The Civic sport can be had with leather and paddle shifters (I forced myself away from that because I was going purely for economy and safety (this will be my 8 year old's 1st car)). But the sport had a more basic center console screen; it wasn't a touch screen...what's the point of a screen in the car if you can't touch it? I hate my mom's BMW X1 for that reason. That stupid mouse dial is ridiculous.

It is the EX-L. I wanted the turbo. I wanted the hatchback, but they didn't make it with the sensing and EX-L in 2016. I got mine with 34K on the ODO for under $19K all in. Based on reading a couple of your previous posts, the Civic may still be too "basic" for you. The Accord could be a good fit. The Civic sport can be had with leather and paddle shifters (I forced myself away from that because I was going purely for economy and safety (this will be my 8 year old's 1st car)). But the sport had a more basic center console screen; it wasn't a touch screen...what's the point of a screen in the car if you can't touch it? I hate my mom's BMW X1 for that reason. That stupid mouse dial is ridiculous.
Again, pound for pound, I think Honda's are hard to beat these days.

Kinda thinking the same way... will probably pass this off to my son when he heads off to college. I'm getting pickier every year and don't want to spend any money so always looking for a unicorn. If I'm being practical, need something that is reliable and gets great gas mileage that will essentially be driven into the ground. The "but" is that I've been on the road for so many years that I like to enjoy whatever it is that I'm driving and be comfortable. Have a friend that has a Civic Touring and had to do a double take as it is a pretty sharp looking machine.

Check out Avalons.. its essentially an ES but costs a bit less. I've got a 13 Avalon and absolutely love it as a daily. Average around 28mpg mixed driving in VA, I went with the v6 because I wanted the power of that. Hybrids get close to 40 I believe.

Sold the LX450. Mixed emotions. I wasn't using it as intended so better for it to go to someone who will, but it was a well sorted rig and never let me down - kicked butt in the snow when others were flailing and sliding into the ditch. Thinking about getting a Taco to replace it. We'll see. I lasted a grand total of 3 weeks the last time I was "Cruiserless"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom