R2.8 to B series H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I know someone is going to say search the forums, and I have.

I am struggling with a 5 speed solution to my R2.8 to FJ40 build.

I can go with something non-toyota, then I need an axle swap or at least an axle centering done. Then I need an adapter and a tcase that works.

I was leaning towards the H55F option but they are pretty expensive to get for me in Canada.

There are quite a few B diesel H55s available to me, even in BC, but I don't know if it will work.

The adapter I would use for the H55 is from Quckdraw and I asked them if they knew if a diesel version (B series) would work with their adapter and they aren't sure, because they just used a Gas one to develop it.

The one they used is a 10 spline and this is a photo of it:

Is the issue with the B H55 to the gas engines the bellhousing or truly the input shaft. I found somone's horror story of changing the input shaft to work with a gas engine, not sure if that is everyone's experience.

If I can get a good core in BC (with tcase) I would want to go through it anyway (whether myself or shop) seems like changing an input shaft can't be all that awful! If it's even necessary if I am going with an R2.8 and adapter.

Hello, transmission gurus, are you there?

To change a H55F from a B engine to a F/H engines you need to change the input shaft and bearing retainer. 10/85 the H55F changed. Need to be sure you switch parts from the same years. 10/85+ the bearing retain has two oil channel cast into it. If you don't know what year the H55F is from use the bearing retainer to help date. Attached split transfer case will probably have a date code to help if it's original to the transmission.

Last edited:
salem747 did you find an answer to your question? I am considering the r2.8 for my bj42, i have the 5speed already so i'm assuming i would be in the same boat with having to swap out my input shaft?

@nfs56 if you use the Quickdraw kit, which I did, they based it on a 1980 FJ40, so you KNOW that will work.

The one thought I have now that I have put it mostly together is that the spline count seems only to be a function of the clutch disc splines.

From what I can tell, the spline count is a function of the clutch disc.

I am not a transmission tech but if you can simply choose a diesel clutch disc and not have to change your input, it would be a big savings of dollars and pissing around.

Things you would need to figure out would be pilot bearing and overall input shaft length. Happy to take any measurements you would like, my gas input shaft transmission is sitting on the bench so I could measure anything you like.

So pilot bearing is really the only issue then? I have a new clutch disc for my 3b as ihad already ordered one from cruiser outfitters but I'm still deciding between original 3b engine or the r2.8. When i took apart my engine i discovered some hairline cracks in the head and the cost of redoing that and also restoring all the alternator and acc. like that will be alot of money. I'm liking the idea of everything new from cummins more and more. As far as cost it would just extend my project another year to save up so thats not my biggest concern

Well, I don't know for sure. Like I said I am no transmission tech but I can take measurements for you to see if it will work with your input shaft.

I have had my transmission in and it all seemed to be lining up.

My guess is that checking the pilot bearing ID and the input shaft length should be the things you need to know.

You could reach out to Chad at quickdraw to confirm this and I am happy to be a go between on measurements. I'm sure Chad would be interested in being able to say it works for B input shafts as it eliminates a barrier to people buying his stuff.

Looking at @Splangy 's post above he says the B input shaft is longer, this would be a problem for you @nfs56, maybe you could have it just shortened? Dunno.

Like I mentioned, there are a lot of good deals on B input H55s, if someone could figure out a straightforward way to use them with the R2.8, it would be a good thing? Like how much longer is it? Like 10mm? If so could just put a spacer on the bellhousing?

Thanks for your help Salem, is your project finished? what tranny did you end up using? I'll get in contact with Chad at quickdraw aswell.

I am using an H55 that did have a B input but the guy I bought it from changed it to an F input for me. He found a good deal on a brand new one for $250. I am nowhere near finished, said guy forgot to send me some Tcase pieces so I am waiting for those to finish puting the tcase together, then I will need to install the assembly and figure out a trans mount.

After that I will probably be on to plumbing work to feed and cool the R2.8.

250$ that's not too bad, where did you source it? i'm currently back and forth with Chad as well, just send him the measurements from my input shaft

Well, that's the thing, I didn't source it. The guy I bought the whole thing from sourced it and installed it. I can find out for you if you end up needing one.

I'm jumping into this thread that died away a couple months ago because it left me with more questions than answers. Yall are talking the 3b h55 and a gasser having different input shaft lengths. And then a comment that Quick Draw used a 1980 fj40 to make the bellhousing to h55. I have a 1990 70-series (HZJ73) with H55f and now am questioning if I have the right length shaft since I have a diesel engine. Does anyone know?

I'm jumping into this thread that died away a couple months ago because it left me with more questions than answers. Yall are talking the 3b h55 and a gasser having different input shaft lengths. And then a comment that Quick Draw used a 1980 fj40 to make the bellhousing to h55. I have a 1990 70-series (HZJ73) with H55f and now am questioning if I have the right length shaft since I have a diesel engine. Does anyone know?
So you are looking to use a quckdraw adapter to an r2.8?

@mxtaco48
I have dived deep into this, there are 3 lenghts of input shafts for the h55 tranny, you gave a gasser option, the hz h55 input shaft which is slightly longer then the gasser and then you have the 3b input shaft which is what I have, its almost an inch longer then the gasser option.

I have talked with quickdraw he makes a kit for the gasser option of the h55 tranny, he told me he would build an adapter for my 3b option but it would be at my cost so would likely cost quite a bit more.

I have also talked with axis industries, they only knew about 2 options the gasser and hz h55 input shafts and have been building kits for both options, they are now designing a option for 3b input shafts aswell and told me to keep an eye on their website late Jan-feb for the final product.

seeing as you have the hz h55 you can easily get a kit from axis industries, email them. I have also spoke with Proffitt resurections and they use the kit from axis industries for the hz h55 tranny, they have streamlined a solution for all their R2.8 swaps with that kit.

When I first looked at them the Axis one was a double adapter, this was why I liked the quickdraw better. Not sure if axis has changed this now but I did hear, as mentioned, quickdraw is looking into a deisel version. They are good at answering emails, worth checking into.

Yes, I've exchanged emails with Chad and he's extremely responsive. I first found Quick Draw a few nights ago and his single adapter options is extremely less expensive than the Axis 2 adapter option. I'll have to look at Axis's website again though if they have changed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom