Quieter, smoother riding all-terrain tire options (315/75/16) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COYS

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently had a chance to drive from LA to Seattle to bond with my 80 a bit. After racking up some interstate miles, I'm curious to know what your experience has been running various AT tires. I currently run the BFG K02s because I know they're a solid AT option, but if there's a smoother, quieter tire, I'm all for it and will gladly trade outright off-road performance for the quietest mall crawler ride without resorting to actual street tires.

I've checked the specs of K02 competitors. They're all in the mid-60lbs, 12.3 section width and 34.6-.8 in overall diameter.

-Goodyear Duratracs (no experience with these)
-Toyo AT2 Xtremes (they were also quiet like the K0s, maybe even quieter)
-Toyo RTs (no experience with these)
-Toyo MT2s (ran these before and obviously not quiet and not what I want)

Just looking for some high-level, anecdotal remarks from those who've run K02s and have run other like tires. Thanks!

I’ve ran and it have friends who have ran all of those tires listed above. Duratravs are quiet but the sidewalks are too thin. A friend Cummins has the MT2’s on a 37 and was quieter than my 315 Ko2. I personally think Toyo is a great tire and quiet all around. Can’t go wrong with them. I even had the KM2’s in a 37” and honestly those weren’t not bad at all.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/70r16.
Done about 10,000k km on them. So far I'm very impressed with performance on road in the dry and wet. Nice and quiet. A slight noise at highway speeds, but it's not intrusive.

I liked the look of the tread pattern, and the sidewall tread they were a lot cheaper than BFGs (my 2nd choice).

I've had them in sand, and some mud and some rock and so far been happy with them.
I will say, I haven't really tested their limits off-road. Trips I've done are more mild touring than hardcore crawling.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers in 305/70r16.
Done about 10,000k km on them. So far I'm very impressed with performance on road in the dry and wet. Nice and quiet. A slight noise at highway speeds, but it's not intrusive.

I liked the look of the tread pattern, and the sidewall tread they were a lot cheaper than BFGs (my 2nd choice).

I've had them in sand, and some mud and some rock and so far been happy with them.
I will say, I haven't really tested their limits off-road. Trips I've done are more mild touring than hardcore crawling.

Ahh forgot about the Nittos... too bad no 315/75/16s.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is a solid option.

I have KO's that are nearly worn out. Having driven my friend's 4Runner a few times with the Wilkpeaks, they are Smooth and quiet. They will be my next tire.

They have two versions of the terra grappler. Side options are different for both versions.

Can't remember why the different versions

I searched their site. They don’t have the size. Toyo who owns Nitto also runs diff side designs for their AT lineup. E rated version or the Xtremes feature more aggressive sidewalls.

duratracs get loud especially if they start to wear a bit uneven. I run the ko2's myself currently and find them quiet all things considered but you may want to consider the cooper at3 line if you arent as concerned with offroad durability.

I've run a number of tires over the years and the KO2's have been the best that I've ever had.

Cant beat cooper discovery AT tires when it comes to smooth and quiet while still very good off-road. I’m running the new procomp AT tires which are also very quiet, they are also very cheap and on Sale right now.

Forgot about Coopers too!

They have a crap ton of options.

1EFF5C53-DEFE-401D-934D-E3A04DDD451F.png
41CE0CBC-E40B-4D7F-9551-A192030C825D.png
B8262F80-A52E-40F6-9834-4C2F17D62D18.png

Looks like the newest Cooper model is the AT3 XLT released this year.

They look like a hybrid of the KM2 + Trail Grappler sidewall with Toyo AT2 tread pattern. Might be a contender!

3B39FCCF-5C8B-42F4-8EB0-584F0EE7620A.jpeg
0560FCB9-E0AD-4078-BA82-0E8B72E33922.jpeg

Last edited:
Or... might mean you should click like and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

Thank goodness slinky doesn’t make tires eh? Jk
No thanks.

I have been using the toyo rt's in 315/75/16 for 6000 miles. So far I am really happy with them. They are so smooth and quiet on the pavement. I saw a .5 gallon increase in mileage going from my worn out nitto terragrappler mts. The toyo rt's have done great in the sand, rocks, and gravel roads. In the mud my truck seemed like it wanted to slide off the road easier with the toyos than with the nitto terragrappler mt's.They ride real nice on the trails at 20 psi.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is a solid option.

I have KO's that are nearly worn out. Having driven my friend's 4Runner a few times with the Wilkpeaks, they are Smooth and quiet. They will be my next tire.
I don’t consider myself a tire nut or overly sinsitive to tire noise. So no comment on that. I love my KO2’s. Never the wildpeak Falken, but have had falken tires on 3 cars 2 bought with them and 1 I put them in new. all 3 used rubber really fast. Like 20k out of tires that should have lasted 40-50k. There price makes me take a second look for sure but always go back to those bad experiences.

Not sure if this helps you but i read these trying to decide what I am going to put on my taco, LX has duratracs:
Falken Wildpeak at3w ?
Falken Wildpeak AT3 review: short term/mid term/long term

Currently have some coopers on the taco that are not AT but more just road tires. I've not loved them for their road noise, but they replaced some michelins and that isn't really a fair comparison. I am sure the 80 weight and tire size difference mean that what a tire does on my taco won't be comparable to an 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom