Quick FJ62 auto trans removal question (edit: removal steps/list) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good thread, considering tackling this myself based on what I'm seeing here. Have dropped 3 other transmissions but never an AT. I have a sucky HF scissor trans jack that looks like it would crumple under the weight of the A440F. Which HF jack did you buy?
I just used a borrowed old “sucky” HF scissor trans jack yesterday for the A440 and xfer case, worked fine. Needed to jack up the truck pretty high tho to get the bell housing to clear the frame rails to get it out from underneath the truck (as previously mentioned).

I just used a borrowed old “sucky” HF scissor trans jack yesterday for the A440 and xfer case, worked fine. Needed to jack up the truck pretty high tho to get the bell housing to clear the frame rails to get it out from underneath the truck (as previously mentioned).
Good to hear. Will save me some $ in not buying a new jack for this job. Did you need to stabilize it with blocks of wood, use a second jack for the transfer case, etc?

Good to hear. Will save me some $ in not buying a new jack for this job. Did you need to stabilize it with blocks of wood, use a second jack for the transfer case, etc?
No, I just placed it a little toward the passenger side and as far back against the crossmember as I could. I used a piece of 2x6 on the jack just to distribute load on the pan though, probably not necessary.

Thanks for all this info. Have the highlights printed out, along with the FSM removal pages. Just came from Harbor Freight now. Got the 800 lb trans jack and a pair of ramps. Gonna start this project in about 15 minutes. As soon a I stop procrastinating. Bought a used auto trans from a '90 FJ62 (He's doing the manual conversion). Gonna swap his automatic with my toasted one in my '89. Hopefully buy myself a couple more years before I can do a manual or LS swap. I'll let you know if i come across anything weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom