Questions Regarding a FJ60 Restoration - Orlando, Fl. - Help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can learn how to do almost anything here and on the internet and the University of Youtube. The issue is time and money. If you do the work yourself it won't be as much money but a lot of time. If you don't have time and get someone else to do it it will be more money. Probably a good idea to farm out some tasks to others who have the expertise, space and equipment to do it faster and more efficiently than you. Other things you can do yourself.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Obviously Total cost will be determined by scope of work so I recommend preping a budget by itemizing parts replacement in order of priority to help you determine what you will do first and what may await. The process is enjoyable in itself. There are many vendors here who have spent hours of r&d developing viable parts that are NLA but necessary and functional. I have owned my rig since 1991 and have done countless improvements and fixes and upgrades and replacemetnts, etc... Enjoy the ride.

Well, it has been a few months since I first posted this thread.
A couple of updates:
1- Thanks to @cruisermatt I decided to rebuild my carburator as my "first official project. That was a complete success and I installed the fully rebuilt one last week. Car gave me some issues to start at first, but eventually got it going with a new fuel pump. Runs great!!
20210124_172031.jpg

I also polished the valve cover (I know looks dusty on the picture).
2- I did some upgrades. I got a new battery trade (stainless steel from one of the vendors here) it was great, it fitted pretty good over all (one screw hole was not lined up, so I decided to skip that screw).
20210124_114724.jpg

3- working on some minor upgrades on lights and headlights.
Let's keep it going.
Thanks Matt!! Seriously, would have never done it without your advise.

Last edited:
Well, it has been a few months since I first posted this thread.
A couple of updates:
1- Thanks to Cruisermatt, I decided to rebuild my carburator as my "first official project. That was a complete success and I installed the fully rebuilt one last week. Car gave me some issues to start at first, but eventually got it going with a new fuel pump. Runs great!!
View attachment 2566128
I also polished the valve cover (I know looks dusty on the picture).
2- I did some upgrades. I got a new battery trade (stainless steel from one of the vendors here) it was great, it fitted pretty good over all (one screw hole was not lined up, so I decided to skip that screw).
View attachment 2566135
3- working on some minor upgrades on lights and headlights.
Let's keep it going.
Thanks Matt!! Seriously, would have never done it without your advise.
Sorry... @cruisermat. Sorry, still new at this. Thanks man! Great help and advise.

No problem man, I didn't do much other then talk you into going for it!

No problem man, I didn't do much other then talk you into going for it!
Thanks! I am going to see what the next project will be.
I think targeting the oil leaks at the tires.
We'll see. Lol. I just finished the carb, so I want to enjoy it for a bit, before I start cursing every night again for another 3 months.

You mentioned the seatbelts needing attention - try www.safetyrestore.com - I used them for my FJ40 seat belts and they did a nice job. They were fast, and not only rewebbed the shoulder belt, the cleaned and lubed the retractor so that it works like a brand new seat belt. You can easily unbolt your seat belt (retractable assemblies) and box them up and send them in.

You mentioned the seatbelts needing attention - try www.safetyrestore.com - I used them for my FJ40 seat belts and they did a nice job. They were fast, and not only rewebbed the shoulder belt, the cleaned and lubed the retractor so that it works like a brand new seat belt. You can easily unbolt your seat belt (retractable assemblies) and box them up and send them in.
Yes!! Thank you @SteveH I thought of that last night, since that is a safety issue, I really need to get those done.
I am not driving the Cruiser at the moment, but I want to start driving it by the summer. Hopefully some offroading and camping. So, yes, I got to get those done.
I will check them out and update you guys later.
Again, thanks for the tips!

Hi. I have a Cruiser shop in Winter Park. Happy to help.

Open up that FSM and start wrenching!
Winter park Florida... that made me LOL... I’m sitting in my truck in 16 degree temps in Colorado right now and my heater blower went out last night. LOL!

Ok. Hello all...
@SteveH Thanks for the suggestion.
I wanted to revisit this old debate about refurbishing/repairing them or getting them after market new.
I called safetyrestore and they told me that on the 60 series they do not do much mechanically other that adjusting the rewinding mechanism. Mine do need the rewinding mechanism looked at because they do not retract that well and sometimes they "hang" a bit.
I am only doing the front ones, which it will be about $75 each to get them looked by them. That does not include replacing the webbing. (Replacing that will be another $70 each).
So, I found places online, that you can get a full brand new set for about $130 each.
My question is: (and you guys know more about this than I do)
Is it better to get them new for that price point? Because mine also do not "lock" all the time, but the guy at safety restore told me it should work fine after they work/service them, but they really don't do anything with the locking mechanism.
I took the old ones out, and I am debating to get those redone, or buy them new.
Anyone here has any tips or experience with front 60s series that can share some info?
20210127_144935.jpg

As you guys can see the old ones, that little green plastic broke a bit and the plastic that hold the latch to the belt also broke years ago. But SR won't replace that either.
Any thoughts/ideas?
Let me know.
Thanks for the help guys.

Ok. Hello all...
@SteveH Thanks for the suggestion.
I wanted to revisit this old debate about refurbishing/repairing them or getting them after market new.
I called safetyrestore and they told me that on the 60 series they do not do much mechanically other that adjusting the rewinding mechanism. Mine do need the rewinding mechanism looked at because they do not retract that well and sometimes they "hang" a bit.
I am only doing the front ones, which it will be about $75 each to get them looked by them. That does not include replacing the webbing. (Replacing that will be another $70 each).
So, I found places online, that you can get a full brand new set for about $130 each.
My question is: (and you guys know more about this than I do)
Is it better to get them new for that price point? Because mine also do not "lock" all the time, but the guy at safety restore told me it should work fine after they work/service them, but they really don't do anything with the locking mechanism.
I took the old ones out, and I am debating to get those redone, or buy them new.
Anyone here has any tips or experience with front 60s series that can share some info?
View attachment 2574451
As you guys can see the old ones, that little green plastic broke a bit and the plastic that hold the latch to the belt also broke years ago. But SR won't replace that either.
Any thoughts/ideas?
Let me know.
Thanks for the help guys.
Btw. The place online i found the new ones is this..

I forgot to inclide the link.
They come in whatever color you want.

Thanks

It sounds like Safety Restore is turning into a racket - $75 to 'look at it'? - is this done by a 'middleman'? ;). There are other re-webbing companies - I would call a different one.

If you can find aftermarket ones that have a solid plastic piece that holds the female buckle end up where you can reach it (as the stock ones do), then I would go aftermarket.

It sounds like Safety Restore is turning into a racket - $75 to 'look at it'? - is this done by a 'middleman'? ;). There are other re-webbing companies - I would call a different one.

If you can find aftermarket ones that have a solid plastic piece that holds the female buckle end up where you can reach it (as the stock ones do), then I would go aftermarket.
Hahahaha. No, maybe I need to reexplain that part. For $75.00 they rewebbed the seatbelt, and that includes a cleaning/service of the mechanism, but nothing more than that. No, part changes or anything.
The $65.00 (plus Shipping to get it there) only includes the cleaning/servicing. Not the rewebbing. (If that makes sense)

Question: what do you mean the plastic piece that hold them up? Because mine do not have that. (I don't think)
The link I sent, shows the new ones, is that what you mean on the female ones?
Thanks.

Yes - the ones at your link have the rigid sleeves that hold up the female end so you can easily buckle the belt. On most FJ60/2 trucks, the plastic around those female ends is broken or decrepit.

Yes - the ones at your link have the rigid sleeves that hold up the female end so you can easily buckle the belt. On most FJ60/2 trucks, the plastic around those female ends is broken or decrepit.
SteveH,
Hello,

I finally got around to change the seatbelts, did a post (semi tutorial) about it.
Anyways, I wanted to let you know. Thanks for all the support.
See the post here:
Not sure if you saw it. They look great. Will do the back ones as well eventually.

I got a few other things to take care of now, like RUST, (friking rust! I hate it), lights, and some electronics). I do have a couple of mechanical issues I am working on now. I got a fuel issue, which I think is just a bad sending unit. Not sure yet. And a lug nut issue i corrected over the weekend but i have not been able to test yet due to the fuel issues. @cruisermatt is helping as well.

Anyways, like all of you say. Little by little.

Thanks!
J

Hello all,

I was fiddling around under my cruiser last night looking at all the bushings, and screws, etc... to try to solve the shaking issue. Anyways, as I was looking around under the car, I found a couple of items that caught my attention.
#1 - I found this linkage piece over the transfer case that it was just hanging there. Never seen it before, so I am sure it needs to be reconnected to something.
see pic:

20211103_210847[1].jpg
20211103_210820[1].jpg

Does anyone have a clue as of why this is the case? meaning, is there something broken, or maybe it just needs to be reconnected in some way? I mean, i hope is nothing serious as of why it happened.
this little rubber boot too, looks like it is toasted and have some cracks and holes.

20211103_210900[1].jpg

you can see the a little piece broken on the picture.

and
#2 - I saw a little bit of oil coming out of this thing. Not sure what it is.
20211103_210914[1].jpg

Anyways, just asking questions hoping to solve issues before something bad happens.

Thanks!
J+

Hello all,

I was fiddling around under my cruiser last night looking at all the bushings, and screws, etc... to try to solve the shaking issue. Anyways, as I was looking around under the car, I found a couple of items that caught my attention.
#1 - I found this linkage piece over the transfer case that it was just hanging there. Never seen it before, so I am sure it needs to be reconnected to something.
see pic:

View attachment 2829470View attachment 2829471
Does anyone have a clue as of why this is the case? meaning, is there something broken, or maybe it just needs to be reconnected in some way? I mean, i hope is nothing serious as of why it happened.
this little rubber boot too, looks like it is toasted and have some cracks and holes.

View attachment 2829473
you can see the a little piece broken on the picture.

and
#2 - I saw a little bit of oil coming out of this thing. Not sure what it is.
View attachment 2829472

Anyways, just asking questions hoping to solve issues before something bad happens.

Thanks!
J+
The dangling connector should be connected to a shaft on the split case housing. It may have fallen into the tcase if that linkage came loose. You maybe able to tease it out with a magnet. Otherwise may have to open up the split case cover.

No oil should be coming from the area you point to. That is the handbrake housing. Probably just oil hitting it from the outside via another source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom