Fj60 Shaking tons after 30 mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Need to help with an issue I experienced today.
Background:
Been running these tires and wheels for a while with no issues. (Never, ever, had an issue)
I installed 1.25" wheel spacers to give the car a little clearance in the back, because my tires were always hitting the muffler when I turned. Annoying.
Anyways, I decided to go with the spacers to fix the problem.
Got them from a reputable landcruiser website (cruiser corps), good quality, designed to fit the fj60, machined alum. Etc.
So, it is a good spacer. (Not cheap either)
Installed them myself. Seem like something I could do during some of our covid19 lockdowns.
Anyways. Took the cruiser for a spin today and experienced something similar to the death wobble I keep hearing about.
My question to all is:
Did I install those wrong? Was I supposed to do something in particular about it?
It seem like a pretty simple task to me at the time and it did not take me long to do.
See pics after installed.
IMG-20210410-WA0006.jpg

Front
IMG-20210410-WA0003.jpg

Back.
Here are the before pictures:
IMG-20210410-WA0005.jpg

Front
IMG-20210410-WA0002.jpg

Back
Before I get a bunch of replies about spacers being safe or unsafe, I get there is a debate about it. Not interested on the debate. I know personally people that have them and never had an issue, and I drive this car maybe 100 miles per year. (If that) so I don't think safety is an issue. (For me personally).
Also, yes, all lugs were tied and nothing was loose.
I experienced the shaking at around 30 maybe 40 mph.
I had to stop to see if the tires were OK, etc. Scared the crap out of me. All seem fine. Turned around and returned home Super slow. On my way home did it again around same speed.
Never had that issue before. I noticed the tires' pressure was low and I put some air on the tires to 35 lbs or so prior to the ride.
I mean, could it be the tires' air pressure?
Or is there anything that screams out to you all, like "fix this" before you hit the road again type of thing?
Anyways, looking for some wisdom here.
My next move will be to check the tires again. I read on a previous threat, to balance the tires. (That seem to work for some people) and maybe alignment?
I am not sure. I am thinking about taking the spacer out, taking it for a spin and see if the shaking continues. Just to trouble shoot if it is the spacer or not.
If they are, any suggestions as of why this is happening and tons of people don't have that problem.
It seems like it is between hitting the muffler or shaking at 30. Both not acceptable to me.

Thanks In advanced.
J

IMG-20210410-WA0002.jpg

If you torqued the spacers & lug nuts properly, there shouldn't be any inherent death wobble. Something else has some play that is getting exacerbated by the added width (hubs, wheel/tire balance, tie rods, bushings).

If you torqued the spacers & lug nuts properly, there shouldn't be any inherent death wobble. Something else has some play that is getting exacerbated by the added width (hubs, wheel/tire balance, tie rods, bushings).
Thanks. Yes, that is my first gut feeling as well. But everything seems fine.
The shaking was extreme. To the point I had to almost stop completely to go away.

There are both hub-centric and lug-centric spacers available. Which kind did you buy?
I got those.
I believe they are lug Centric. Meaning as you tide the kids it centers it. The lugs holes are kind of round taper to center it.
But again, I am not an expert.

Should be fine. No foreign material on the hub face, wheel, etc? All torqued down carefully in sequence?

Should be fine. No foreign material on the hub face, wheel, etc? All torqued down carefully in sequence?
I painted the hubs. Not sure if that wo8ld be foreign material.
I torqued them, I did not do it in sequence. Can you elaborate on that? Is there a particular sequence is needed?
Thanks

I torqued them, I did not do it in sequence. Can you elaborate on that? Is there a particular sequence is needed?
Thanks
Is weird man. I am staring to get worried.
Have to start trouble shooting tomorrow

It sounds like something isn’t centered or you might have a wheel balance issue.

Thanks
in sequence=star pattern. criss crossing as you go. first hand tight, then 1/2 way then fully torqued. Make sure the wheel is flush against the hub or spacer and stays that way.
Jack up your truck and one wheel at a time....
Rock your wheels side to side and up and down. If you have any play in your front wheels you may need to tear into your hubs and reset preload on the 54mm hub nuts.

Spin you wheel on the hub and verify it's smooth and the wheel bearing are not shot.

Inspect the backside of the hubs make sure they are not leaking gear oil heavily....In the front axle this means a damaged outer axle seal from a loose hub and the birf (inner axle ) banging on the seal until the gear oil from the axle leaks.

On the rear axle a broken seal and and worn outer axle bearings results in gear oil leak ...usually into the brakes. You'll need to pull the drum to look for lots of excess gear oil smeared all over the brake components. It may look more like grease because it has leaked slowly and some if it baked on...but it's prob axle gear oil. Unless it is bad to the point it is leaking out of the drum.

in sequence=star pattern. criss crossing as you go. first hand tight, then 1/2 way then fully torqued. Make sure the wheel is flush against the hub or spacer and stays that way.
Jack up your truck and one wheel at a time....
Rock your wheels side to side and up and down. If you have any play in your front wheels you may need to tear into your hubs and reset preload on the 54mm hub nuts.

Spin you wheel on the hub and verify it's smooth and the wheel bearing are not shot.

Inspect the backside of the hubs make sure they are not leaking gear oil heavily....In the front axle this means a damaged outer axle seal from a loose hub and the birf (inner axle ) banging on the seal until the gear oil from the axle leaks.

On the rear axle a broken seal and and worn outer axle bearings results in gear oil leak ...usually into the brakes. You'll need to pull the drum to look for lots of excess gear oil smeared all over the brake components. It may look more like grease because it has leaked slowly and some if it baked on...but it's prob axle gear oil. Unless it is bad to the point it is leaking out of the drum.
Thank you for the recommendations.
I don't think I did the lugs in that particular sequence, but usually I do about the same. Hand, then a little more, then fully torqued going across lugs.
So, I think I did it right.
I do have a leak. I noticed hat a while back.
I have to see what is going on for sure on that.

Morning update.
Started to check into the shaking this morning.
Here is what I see so far.
I noticed the lugs for the wheels are a bit short in comparison to the length of the studs.
See pics.
20211003_092256.jpg

First thing I wonder is if they tight the wheels properly or they hit the interior of the lug before the wheel is torqued properly.
I noticed that one of them ripped like the torqued made it break thru the nut.
Second thing I noticed was that the shocks were loose.
20211003_093036.jpg

But I don't know if that is normal because the wheel is in the air. But it looks like is missing a rubber bushing. Can you guys confirm that.
These shocks were part of a old man emu 3" lift I installed years ago.
The other side (on the ground)
Looks fine.
20211003_093058.jpg

Any thoughts?
And if I have to replace those, how do I find the proper fit?? Any recommendations??
Thanks guys.

Here is a picture of the one that is broken.
20211003_100224.jpg

It seems to me, like they have to be a bit deeper or open to let the bolt come thru it.
20211003_100234.jpg

I am thinking about taking the spacer out, taking it for a spin and see if the shaking continues. Just to trouble shoot if it is the spacer or not.

It seems like it is between hitting the muffler or shaking at 30. Both not acceptable to me.

If you have any play in your front wheels you may need to tear into your hubs and reset preload on the 54mm hub nuts.

You will prolly want to replace the lug nuts with these open versions if continuing to use spacers:

IMG_6697 (1).jpg

IMG_6695.jpg

Your symptoms sound a lot like loose lug nuts. Will lead to trouble if not addressed. Ask me how I know. :bang: I think its pretty common to have spacers amplify the effects of worn axle/suspension parts. If the only thing changed is the spacers, then they are the reason for your wobble. You could take them off and see if it goes away but I think you know in your heart of hearts they are the cause. I would start with simply making sure the spacers/wheels are torqued properly as mentioned. You obviously want to check your bearings etc. for being worn and replace worn parts properly/fix leaks etc.. But sounds like using spacers to solve tires rubbing on exhaust parts has you headed down a painful path. I am not sure of your specific tire rubbing issue, but seems like for what you spent on those spacers you could of had a muffler shop change the exhaust routing to stop the rub. If the wobble stops after removing the spacers, I think I would go that route and save myself the trouble. HTH.

You will prolly want to replace the lug nuts with these open versions if continuing to use spacers:

View attachment 2802484
View attachment 2802483

Your symptoms sound a lot like loose lug nuts. Will lead to trouble if not addressed. I think its pretty common to have spacers amplify the effects of worn axle/suspension parts. If the only thing changed is the spacers, then they are the reason for your wobble. You could take them off and see if it goes away but I think you know in your heart of hearts they are the cause. I would start with simply making sure the spacers/wheels are torqued properly as mentioned. You obviously want to check your bearings etc. for being worn and replace worn parts properly/fix leaks etc.. But sounds like using spacers to solve tires rubbing on exhaust parts has you headed down a painful path. I am not sure of your specific tire rubbing issue, but seems like for what you spent on those spacers you could of had a muffler shop change the exhaust routing to stop the rub. If the wobble stops after removing the spacers, I think I would go that route and save myself the trouble. HTH.
Thanks.
Yeah, I hear you. Honestly, I don't know it is the spacers for sure. Is the only thing that is "new" but it might be the lugs, or something else that was there and now coincidently I am finding out because I drove the truck yesterday.
(It is the first time I have driven it on the road (to the gas station down the street to fill it) in about 9 months, because I have been battling cancer the past 10 months)
Anyways, I do like the open lugs. I will start looking for those on the internet.
It could be that the old ones are too short therefore not securing the wheel properly.
Do you have a link where you purchased those that you can share?
The muffler issue, I did take it to 2 muffler shops, and they both told me they could not reroute the pipe for some weird reason I don't remember.
So, I went the spacer route.
Plus I do like the look of the tires out they way the are too.
Thanks

View attachment 2802484
View attachment 2802483

Your symptoms sound a lot like loose lug nuts. Will lead to trouble if not addressed. Ask me how I know. :bang: I think its pretty common to have spacers amplify the effects of worn axle/suspension parts. If the only thing changed is the spacers, then they are the reason for your wobble. You could take them off and see if it goes away but I think you know in your heart of hearts they are the cause. I would start with simply making sure the spacers/wheels are torqued properly as mentioned. You obviously want to check your bearings etc. for being worn and replace worn parts properly/fix leaks etc.. But sounds like using spacers to solve tires rubbing on exhaust parts has you headed down a painful path. I am not sure of your specific tire rubbing issue, but seems like for what you spent on those spacers you could of had a muffler shop change the exhaust routing to stop the rub. If the wobble stops after removing the spacers, I think I would go that route and save myself the trouble. HTH.
After reading your post again, I feel like i have to ask you, how you know? 😀
Lol. I hear you brother.

Finally, here is a picture of the leak.
View attachment 2802491
That “leak” looks like it’s time to rebuild the knuckle.

Also you shouldn’t have loose shocks on the ground or in the air. A wonky shock isn’t causing your vibration but it could lead to other handling issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom