Question on OME coil springs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning on putting some of these springs on my 97 LX450, which will eventually have a bullbar, winch etc and I was told the springs to get to get a 4"(unladen) lift would be the OME 2850 and 2863.

Trouble is, I gave the sales person and old OME part numbers (850J and 863J)and he said that those were an 'old" part number and that a 2850 and 2863 are the new numbers.

Now, I find that there is a 2850J and 2863J and I'm confused.

Which ones are the ones to get to achieve a 4" lift?

New to me I just got spring in Dec. & 850J was a good number

The 2850 won't get you 4", but the 2863 might if you don't have much extra weight out back. Either way, if you want 4", you're probably going to need the J's anyways.

The 2 in front of the numbers just means there is 2 in the box.
2850 is same as 850 etc...

The 850J sits generally 1" higher than a 850.
Both have a 220# pound rate.
A level lift would be a 850J/863 non J in rear.
Or a 850J plus 25mm spacer/863J.
Screenshot_2017-01-24-12-19-38.png

Last edited:
The 2 in front of the numbers just means there is 2 in the box.
2850 is same as 850 etc...

The 850J sits generally 1" higher than a 850.
Both have a 220# pound rate.
A level lift would be a 850J/863 non J in rear.
View attachment 1414342

▲This▲

Just switched to 863J (due to heavy load) from non J and netted 1".

If you plan to use OME shocks make sure you choose the L style with any of the springs noted above.

"L" style?
▲This▲

Just switched to 863J (due to heavy load) from non J and netted 1".

If you plan to use OME shocks make sure you choose the L style with any of the springs noted above.

80-series FAQ ==> 80-series FAQ ==> OME Lifts discussion for the FAQ ...and from the second post in the thread....
OME makes lifts from stock hight up to 3.5" based on the loads specified below. Un weighted, they could be as high as 5". However, the resulting lift depends on what accessories you cary. Armor, Bumpers, Winches, Tools, and Trail Spares will all weigh a lift down.

If you have a Lexus LX450, the stock suspension is much softer than the 80 series Toyota venison. The softer ride tends to provide more lean around corners and a lot of people don't like it. Just changing to the stock height OME will make a great improvement.

The nice thing about an OME lift kit, is that once you have a basic OME lift installed, you can swap springs as you add armor and accessories to maintain the same basic lift height with the extra weight.
So for the OME you really need to decide 0" lift, 2.5" lift or 3.5" lift. Higher lifts can be accomplished using heavy springs in un-weighted situations or by adding spacers, but the higher lifts take it out of the OME design window.
From Christo Slee's Web Page: Since this is not just another lift kit, it is essential to match the spring rates to the weight of the vehicle.

Here is a an example Rule Of Thumb first posted by Beowulf
==============================================
OME Springs:
General rules:
unladen 864=5" lift or 2" w/400 kg load (20mm wire)
....... 863=4" lift or 2" w/250 kg load (19mm wire)
....... 860=2" lift or 1.75" w/a gas tank (18mm wire)
....... 850=2" lift w/some weight(dual batteries etc)
....... 851=2" lift w/bar & winch, dual batteries, etc
....... Stock springs 16mm wire.
================================================
OME shocks
............. Open ......... Closed
............ length ........ length
N70 ......... 614 .......... 354
N71E ........ 620 .......... 370
N74E ........ 620 .......... 370
N73 ......... 614 .......... 354
N73L ........ 667 .......... 387
N74L ........ 667 .......... 387
================================================

Here are a couple of useful Tables. Note that the J Spring is the same basic spring as the non J, but 1" taller.
This is from Slee's site on springs, expected lift WITH expected weight load.
attachment.php

Table 2 was compiled from information on the Cruiser Outfitters Site
attachment.php

Note that an un-loaded 864 lifts about the same amount as an unloaded 863J (both of which are about an inch or so higher than an 863). It takes twice the weight to lower 864's to any given height as it takes to lower 863J or 863. That's because the spring Diameter on the 864 is wider.

UPDATE Oct 2015

I received an input from a reader that the above springs rates are incorrect and he has provided the following:

looking directly from the current OME pdf it corrects all the confusion that I have had. Here is the correct onfo. The wrong info was saying all three springs where the same wire dia. of .669"/17mm but in reality they are all different. If I knew metric I would have seen this sooner.

The above chart should read as:
851 ~16mm/.629" ~ 8.18 turns
850 ~16.5mm/.649 ~ 9 turns
850J ~17mm/.669 ~ 9.9 turns

This all makes sence now the diameter gets thicker as they add turns to achieve the same rate.

ALSO THE 861 & 862 INFO IS WRONG ALSO... ITS SHOW ONLY SINGLE RATE BUT THEY ARE DUAL RATE 170/250 ish.
There are several good posts in the FAQs.

I have 850J/863 combination and if you plan to put a lot of weight then the 863 is not strong enough. I would suggest to contact @cruiseroutfit as he is I think the best person to discuss that with.

2850J and 2863J are still current part numbers, same spring rate as the 2850/2863 but 1" taller.

I'd find a new shop :D

Bumping an old thread b/c it seems this one is the best place for this question...

@cruiseroutfit sorry if I missed the definitive answer, but I've read a few threads on this now and not sure which way to go. What OME shock do you recommend for a rig running 850/863 springs (Heavy); not the "J" version? Sounds like the "L" shocks will give us more travel, but will that require new bump stops and/or limit straps to keep the springs captured?

Currently I'm running the 60018/60020 OME Nitrochargers with the OME 850/863 springs. My shocks are toast and I need new ones.

Last edited:
It really depends on how the truck is being setup, loaded and tire size. And yes L shocks on a standard lift will require additional mods. The 18/20 or 70/71 is the easier solution but you can squeeze more flex out of the L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom