Builds PZJ70 build-refurbish!? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pictures show a lot of details.
Thanks for giving me some ideas....
I have been considering doing something similar to my PZJ75, but I just need to find out what is available in the PI.

Pretty much all done with this....

Cheers

So while the tape pulled beautifully I was not happy with the sharp edge left. It is less than bedliner, obviously this is all about thickness of the coating.

So I knocked the edge down all the way around the truck with 400g.

I then touched up the paint.

I will probably do a cut & polish on the truck and a wax before it goes home to the new owner but besides that this is a done deal.

All that is left paint wise is the front inner fenders. They are prepped but nothing more. It will take a few days to do x2 coats of POR15 on them and then rubberized undercoating on the bottom plus gold top coat and the color match tan on the other side. I got all new mounting hardware for the inner fenders from @beno and I have a tube of seam sealer ready for when I install them.

Cheers

Last pics of all this before moving on....

I got to say I am really happy with these results!

I know it looked like ass when it just had POR15 on it and I am sure some of you were like, what the hell is this guy thinking!?

It blends beautifully though, I am very hard to please and I am very pleased with this.

The owner as mentioned is a professional photographer but he also has two hunting dogs that go everywhere with him and ride in the back of his trucks. On top of that he is loading all kinds of gear in the back of his Cruisers from guns to camera equipment to camping gear and more. He may also do hundreds of miles on gravel roads traveling the backroads for work or pleasure.

Sooooooooo, the whole point here is to protect the high wear areas when the truck is being used a lot in the back country.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure thats factory. I've had 6 80 series and every single one had that on the rockers.

It was on my 2004 taco too. I am sure it is on 4Runners as well.

Not a common thing to see a tape line from the factory on any vehicle. Which is why I question. It was taped on the fender too just feathered up towards the tape line. And obviously applied before paint.

Cheers

Having the Toyo M/T’s mounted up to the OEM wheels right now. Also having the Toyo’s sipped.

This is definitely a sweet combo! I didn’t want to spend the cash on this set up a year ago but man it is nice no doubt. I am excited to see them on the Cruiser.

Cheers

Had an old friend in town so didn’t work on the truck much the last 3-4 days. Rear axle is all ready to go down on it’s own weight.

Working on final assembly of the front.

Knuckle ball before clean up.

After a little polishing.

Cheers

Final assembly of front axle underway.

I went with new OEM inner axle shafts, Terrain Tamer birfields, Terrain Tamer spindles and OEM backingplates plus hardware.

Cheers

I like those Toyos. I’m trying to choose between Toyo and the coopers stt maxx. Coopers would Probabaly be better for the weather here, but I like the looks of the toyo better

I like those Toyos. I’m trying to choose between Toyo and the coopers stt maxx. Coopers would Probabaly be better for the weather here, but I like the looks of the toyo better

Depends how how you use the rig. I've run both tires. In the dirt, rock, mud, slickrock, the Toyo MTs are killer, on-road they can hum a bit but in a 70 you probably won't notice much. The ST Maxx are very decent in the above terrain and quiet on the road. They are, however, rather stiff due to the Armor-Tek3 carcass. But they are a stout carcass.

Main reason I went with these was size. 255/85R16 there really isn't much to pick from in this size. I honestly would have went with Duratracs, they fit the owners uses better but those are not available in a 255. So I had the M/T's sipped.

Cheers

Depends how how you use the rig. I've run both tires. In the dirt, rock, mud, slickrock, the Toyo MTs are killer, on-road they can hum a bit but in a 70 you probably won't notice much. The ST Maxx are very decent in the above terrain and quiet on the road. They are, however, rather stiff due to the Armor-Tek3 carcass. But they are a stout carcass.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the ST Maxx would be better for snow packed situations. I throw ice out as we only get that a few times max during the year.

Main reason I went with these was size. 255/85R16 there really isn't much to pick from in this size. I honestly would have went with Duratracs, they fit the owners uses better but those are not available in a 255. So I had the M/T's sipped.

Cheers

Yeah I'm torn between cooper and these in 255/85R16 It could be whoever has the best price, although I'm sure the Cooper would last longer on road. decisions...

Yeah, I'm wondering if the ST Maxx would be better for snow packed situations. I throw ice out as we only get that a few times max during the year.

They were pretty good in snow on my 200 series in 285/75. A fair compromise, in my opinion, for an A/T vs full snow tires. A bit better than K02s in my experience. However, in ice or when the snow packs very hard/near ice, they were average at best. They do have built in provisions for studs if you want to go crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom