Builds Putting the rust demon at bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove it around. Seems good. Crawled up on some rocks only to realize front drive isn’t getting power. Pulled the shift mechanism and sure enough the fork wasn’t engaging the front shaft. After wrestling the linkage back on and refilling the case, l notice it’s dripping from the front shift mechanism. Here we go again. Luckily, I had a spare gasket. Tested the 4wd on the raised cement pad before I put it away. Felt much better. Started the challenge install, but ran out of time. Next week. No new pics. Maybe next time.

Nothing much to report really, but the nice fall weather has been making us want to use our trucks.
9F746EE7-BD58-4075-81AD-3E287A2D4790.jpeg

I was getting dieseling when I shut it off. Checked the timing and it was retarded again. I can’t figure out why this thing won’t hold its timing mark. Still love the engine.

Last edited:
Saw this the other day, figured some would enjoy Some eye candy.
E0F9D83E-EB18-40C4-ADD4-AA4614A5459D.jpeg
D4ABEFFD-938C-40F0-A482-462EC763F960.jpeg

It was pretty, couldn't help but take a picture. Automatic( looked like a Toyota shifter) and possibly a diesel. Three rows of seating. Real clean looking.

So rather work on a a myriad of other things, I dove into making a cooler swing out for the bumper. This all started last spring when I happened on a garage sale and picked up 40-50’ of one inch square tubing. I knew I wanted to make another swingout for the bumper and this square tube was just the ticket. Now I needed to bend it and I didn’t have a bender. I considered making a series of kerf cuts, but decided that was more welding(grinding) than I wanted. So I built this contraption after internetting:
44646D3C-BCDD-4C06-905F-151B97F277E0.jpeg

Don’t laugh, it yielded ok results. It was straighter when I started. The bends are not symmetrical, but it worked for 8 bends. After the 8 th try, the arm was to maligned to make acceptable bends. So rather than waste more material trying to make a top hoop I decided to try something else.
8B8F0C23-EF13-4B44-8C96-AA53591C07F5.jpeg

Instead I made some pieces up to cap the uprights and leave the corners open. Not sure if f this will be the final design, but I kinda like it aesthetically. This is likely to be the final position.
CF3451F2-88DD-4446-A1AA-4240D0F43695.jpeg

I’m thinking a horizontal(2”x3”) arm and moving the latch to tie the to arms together. I’ll mount the basket with two triangles made from plate. Corners of the basket can be added later, if they prove necessary.
Unfortunately, this will be another pause in the bumper build. With Xmas coming, I’ll need to hold off on purchasing another pivot from RuffStuff.

So while the rest of the swing out is on hold, let’s work on something completely different. Can you spell A.D.D.?
So while down in the big city, I stalkded the classifieds. Found this nose guard.
22B12374-0B53-4681-AFD1-E3887234EE84.jpeg

I don’t like the idea of welding it directly to the frame. Instead, I think I’ll extend the bumper bracket back and weld the guard on that. This way I can remove it fairly easily. For those that have mounted and used one, how far away from the bib did you mount it?

Work on the bumper continues, I thought I had it wrapped up, but pulled a boneheaded move. See I was working at it at work and didn’t want to clutter up the shop, so I left the tire at home. The new cooler rack is 2.5” into the tire. I’ll get it fixed, but the powder is calling ...
DBC108F2-E4B9-4ED6-9406-82D4C401F457.jpeg

Archie, As I'm going down the same road as you now, do you ever wish you would have pulled it all the way down and did the frame and everything at the start? Thoughts?

Archie, As I'm going down the same road as you now, do you ever wish you would have pulled it all the way down and did the frame and everything at the start? Thoughts?
Actually I did have mine done to a bare frame. I have two different thoughts on it:
A-Since I tore it down to the frame, all my suspension and steering is tight. I fixed everything as best I could( I’m a bit redneck) and if it’s right I did it. If it’s wrong I did that too...
B- I stripped it down and got the engine installed, upgraded to front discs and repaired the rear frame(redneck(it works)). After that I lost steam and it sat for more years than I like to admit. I lucked out that I never had to sell it and always carried a candle of hope.

Does that answer your question? I was doing an engine/tranny swap anyway, so the frame off was logical in a twenty something way. As a family man now, I want to do another, but I don’t know if I have time.

Last edited:
It does. My kids are mostly grown and for the first time in 20 years I have time. I’m thinking I have to go through everything anyway so why not take mine all the way down. I like your thought process. Plus I have a rear main leak....and I hate leaks. :)

It does. My kids are mostly grown and for the first time in 20 years I have time. I’m thinking I have to go through everything anyway so why not take mine all the way down. I like your thought process. Plus I have a rear main leak....and I hate leaks. :)
So that begets the question- what do you want out of it. A rusted wreck is the most freeing thing in my mind. The purists are less likely decry the loss of another 40. The modifications you want are easier to work your mind around when you’re not worried about preservation. Bumpers, interior, drivetrain and suspension are your choice. Of course, it’s a lot of work and can easily be abandoned to other interests.

Found some time in the garage today, finally. Cooler basket needed two more holes drilled. I built the basket to be removable, but didn’t have the spare tire with me in that shop(work), so it was mounted In a way that interfered with the spare. I hemmed and hawed on this for to long and finally just moved the mounting holes to the right. Last bit I did was drill and tap a piece of square tube to mount the plate on to the right swing arm. I’ll be on the look out for a light next.
E581CAE3-3AE8-413F-8032-D7F01B84E07D.jpeg
I realize the plate is obscured in this picture, but it should be legit when the vehicle is on level ground. In the picture I was playing with the snow bank, so the angle isn’t quite right. The swing out handle blocks the space on the plate, but all the numbers are legible.
D29DF574-DC28-419C-B57D-62E714DCD508.jpeg

D8678F8A-5849-45AF-AFCB-C89F23AB59B1.jpeg

Having a little more time in the garage(home), I moved onto the center console design. Cardboard, tape and knife in hand- I have the beginning of a concept. I’ll be using the armrest out of the Montero that provided the front seats. Basically it’s a tuffy console type, but tweaked to my desires and needs. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
So the center console was shelved in order to work on other things- I don’t need a center console, but no mall cruiser is complete without sliders. Yeah I have no real focus, but I’m having fun.
Sliders are mostly built.
95CC9468-9B01-44F2-B396-A453F72E96A9.jpeg
FE4AA916-26F2-417D-BA60-D195F52285CD.jpeg

My aim was to protect the sheet metal and provide a step for getting in and out.
1789D0A7-612C-4529-B8D7-2E81A9924499.jpeg
39B8D162-AB25-4B41-B31D-1D9608852945.jpeg

I’ll take some more pics of the final project when I get them on for good. Still tweaking the final design, the actually tuck in a bit better than they look like in this picture.
3973C748-F6A4-4CDE-BE65-7EA80A14A6EB.jpeg

I’m leaning toward welding them on right now, but also considering bolt on. I’m sure welding is stouter, but the thought of being able to easily remove them is very tempting. I wish I could say they’ll see a bunch of crazy wheeling, but reality says I’ll spend more time on the highway than in the rocks. Flip side, bolt on requires drilling holes in the frame- gulp. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I like having mine bolt on. Been a few times I have removed them. But up to you. You could also weld them on then Sawzall the mounting tubes and weld on some flange plates that bolt together. Leave at least 3/8" between the body and slider as they will likely flex when the weight of the vehicle is on them. Welded ones probably flex less.

I like having mine bolt on. Been a few times I have removed them. But up to you. You could also weld them on then Sawzall the mounting tubes and weld on some flange plates that bolt together. Leave at least 3/8" between the body and slider as they will likely flex when the weight of the vehicle is on them. Welded ones probably flex less.
I’ll have time to work on them tomorrow. You have me debating on bolting them now. Since this is my first shot at this I suppose being able to easily remove them would make sense.

I wanted to give a shout out to @lcwizard for the ubolt flip kit that allowed me to mount rear shocks again. The mounts in the axle were stripped and I hadn’t found the time to replace them. One night I impulse bought the flip kit and viola I have rear shocks again. The kit was extremely painless and I gained a bit clearance to boot.
1AA1133C-895C-4302-B779-F536432B32FC.jpeg

COVID has set in the valleys, so we are doing the Social D (@darwink1 this is your que). So we are spending as much time in the mountains as much as possible. Here’s a shot of my boy and his friend earning his turns on glory
DF6E7CF0-F4F3-4F43-B4EA-E3E529293EC5.jpeg

Fortunately, I’m getting some time in garage well. Got a coat of primer on the sliders between snow showers. Also I started in on the wiring harness for the LS. The shroud is off the harness and most tape. I laid it out on the recommended plywood.
FDBD5818-C81E-4E1B-8459-57BF1A0825AB.jpeg

I’m still on the fence about swapping the engine. The 350 is still running great. Fires up every time. The quadrajet seems not care about angles( still don’t have secondaries due to lack of travel in the gas pedal).
Thing is I still want to swap engine out. I’d say it’s best described as an itch I can’t help scratching. I’ll keep plugging away at the conversion until I get the thing swapped. Project ADD has its advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom