Purchasing an FJ60, how much rust is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I’m new here as I’m still in the market for a 60s series. I’m looking to hopefully be guided in the right direction. At the moment I’m looking at this one for 8 grand.

There is extensive rust Obviously as in the pictures shown however I noticed you can buy entire parts of the vehicle at Toyota dealers so instead of fabricating I was going to buy an entirely new

Mainly I’m wondering how feasible this is and if it’s worth the price and effort.

800D0BBC-3D40-466A-9A00-D4B774EABCF3.jpeg

BB6EEFD6-12F1-4467-9DC3-272A93E62836.jpeg

5CF4D596-4FE4-418F-AC31-6EEBB2CCEE42.jpeg

81BA3BAC-CE70-42DD-B717-1CBC3E5078B4.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I’m new here as I’m still in the market for a 60s series. I’m looking to hopefully be guided in the right direction. At the moment I’m looking at this one for 8 grand.

There is extensive rust Obviously as in the pictures shown however I noticed you can buy entire parts of the vehicle at Toyota dealers so instead of fabricating I was going to buy an entirely new

Mainly I’m wondering how feasible this is and if it’s worth the price and effort.

View attachment 2788749

View attachment 2788750

View attachment 2788751

View attachment 2788752
Let me start by saying I’m not a professional metalworker, fabricator, coatings expert, etc.

But that’s a hard pass for me. And that’s the rust you can see. Think about the rust that is hidden out of sight.

nice candidate for making a truggy or something else wonderful, but no longer as a land cruiser. some things can't be saved, that looks like the definition of ruining your life. AND i know about 60 rust bro.

what's the rest look like? is the big question.

Oh my.

When you say that you're looking at this one for eight grand... that's how much the seller is offering to pay you to haul it off?

You doing the work to fix it yourself or having someone do it? General rule with these beasts is the rust you can see pales in comparison to the rust you can't. How much rust is too much is pretty relative. For me, what I see in the photos is too much, but that has more to do with me not having the tools or skills to do the repairs it needs myself. No disrespect intended here, but how are you even considering this? Is there some other undisclosed piece to this puzzle that has you thinking about this deal? Why would you want to subject yourself to fixing something like this when there are so many similarly priced examples out there that you wouldn't have the rust element to contend with. Trust me, there will be plenty to spend money on with one of these trucks without throwing rust into the mix. There would have to be something pretty compelling elsewhere about the truck (like it has 100 original miles on it for example, unlikely) for it to command 8K. Otherwise there is no reality I could get even close to that price for what I see there.

Anything can be fixed, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. There are easier ways to get you your FJ60 OP. Don't let your first experience with FJ60 ownership be one you will forever regret. GLWS and HTH.

It can be done if you put in the time do the work yourself and don’t want a restored 60… mine is a wheeler so it just needs to be water tight. Not pretty but just the cost of metal and about 15 hours of my time. $100 all in!

DAC51DE0-9951-4626-B202-AB7A06674F0E.jpeg

If you took that one to a body shop…and could find one willing to work on it…you would be looking at many thousands to do those repairs. At $8000 that truck is priced about $6000 too high and that’s assuming the chassis and driveline are good.

Pics

9C159255-3200-4D4F-8D6E-3315CC203B68.jpeg

560E77F3-2422-4902-B8F0-3D400512339C.jpeg

595CC897-2BD1-43AA-879A-9762C8896C7C.jpeg

B30D0676-B738-46BD-89E2-E4704BE58868.jpeg

For the cost to repair the one asked about I bet you could buy a first class ticket to anywhere in the USA and pay for gas and hotels to drive a nicer one home.

For the cost to repair the one asked about I bet you could buy a first class ticket to anywhere in the USA and pay for gas and hotels to drive a nicer one home.

^^^
Exactly this!!! What better way to get to know your new to you cruiser than a shakedown cruise home with it.

There are just easier ways to own one of these than the OP's proposed path.

That. That much is too much. Keep searching my friend, you will find a better 60. It took me about 3 years of casually looking, but I didn’t get really serious until the middle of 2020. And when you find the right one you will know. Stay strong

That's a donor rig. If it runs well and has all it's smog equipment functioning it could be worth $1k maybe 2.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily too much rust. As my 62 technically had way more rust than that. The main issue with that particular rust/rot is the location. No one makes replacement panels for those particular areas (you cannot buy them at the dealer - they are no longer available). Those are also very complicated areas with a lot of compound curves and bends and tight angles. It would take a very skilled metal worker a very long amount of time to properly repair all of that.

On the other hand, rotted rocker panels and door bottoms are far easier to repair. The catch is most 60s with rotted rockers and door sills also have rotted frames.

In the snowy states, they rot from the bottom up. Warm coastal states they rot from the top down.

HUge thanks for mkn me feel extra warm + tingly about my rig....8k LOLOLOLOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom