Puma 12V Compressor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone please educate me (in dummy terms) about tank vs. no tank? I've read some posts that suggest that tire fillup might be slower with a larger tank (or the double tank model) and that the tank is mostly useful for running tools. Would I be better off just using the compressor without a tank in the interest of saving space? My primary purpose is just for airing up tires for now--no air tools in the truck yet. Speed of fillup is priority #1, space savings is priority #2. I don't really understand the technical aspects of compressed air.

@Blue77FJ40 how long does your compressor-only setup take to air up? Are you running 265 tires on the tacoma?

Given the exact same compressor one with tank one without. If the compressor with tank is full airing up 4 tires will be slightly shorter. If the tank is empty the air up time will be slightly longer.

On our LX470 I run a Puma set up live without controls or tank
img_8737-1-jpg.1433648

On our 80 I run a factory Puma set up set up with a tank.

asset.jpg

After several test, air up times are close enough to I do not see a sizable advantage with either set up if you dont need tanked storage air. As for the two Puma set up the tanked set up is a easy hook up by just adding power and you are done. With a Puma non-tanked set up you need to figure out how you are going to deal with safety for your power control and air pressures.

For the detail geeks the 80 Puma setup has been in service since 2007 with easy 100+ hours of run time and the LX470 set up has less than a hour. With that said because I time my air ups I have not seen a loss in air up times on the 80 set up over the years. Both were tested using #4 copper power feeds with a supply voltage of 13+ volts.

Side note I tested Hi-flow fittings and larger hose and again saw not sizeable advantage.

As for air up times at sea level and ~75° you can air up a 315/75-16 from 15psi - 35psi in 2 minutes flat. Doing the same with 265 I would guess your time would around 1 minute 30 sec. or less.

I recently picked up a Puma 12v with the dual (1 gal) tanks. I went with the dual tanks over the single because it seems that it's actually a bit more compact (the 1.5 single is longer), and i think I can get the whole shebang in a storage box that's about 16 or 18" square and throw the hoses in there as well. The storage box should double as a "booster seat" for the Puma to sit on next to the hood, when in use, as it has short leads and I didn't want to hard wire it in the truck, in case I wanted to remove it (although it's only about 30# and sits in the engine bay fine). I got a tanked one because it didn't seem gigantic and would offer the opportunity to run tools better if I wanted in addition to air ups. FWIW, it's relatively quiet in operation, and efficiently fills the tanks.

Given the exact same compressor one with tank one without. If the compressor with tank is full airing up 4 tires will be slightly shorter. If the tank is empty the air up time will be slightly longer.

On our LX470 I run a Puma set up live without controls or tank
img_8737-1-jpg.1433648

On our 80 I run a factory Puma set up set up with a tank.

View attachment 1501105

After several test, air up times are close enough to I do not see a sizable advantage with either set up if you dont need tanked storage air. As for the two Puma set up the tanked set up is a easy hook up by just adding power and you are done. With a Puma non-tanked set up you need to figure out how you are going to deal with safety for your power control and air pressures.

For the detail geeks the 80 Puma setup has been in service since 2007 with easy 100+ hours of run time and the LX470 set up has less than a hour. With that said because I time my air ups I have not seen a loss in air up times on the 80 set up over the years. Both were tested using #4 copper power feeds with a supply voltage of 13+ volts.

Side note I tested Hi-flow fittings and larger hose and again saw not sizeable advantage.

As for air up times at sea level and ~75° you can air up a 315/75-16 from 15psi - 35psi in 2 minutes flat. Doing the same with 265 I would guess your time would around 1 minute 30 sec. or less.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the speed advantage of "tanked" would only come into play if the tank was fully pressurized prior to air up, and otherwise would actually be a disadvantage. So in other words, if I only use the compressor once a month or so, I would need to fire it up via a dash switch or something a minute before stopping to air up in order to make sure the tank was full beforehand, which would save me a minute or two in total (4) air up time?

I have 315's now (just got them last week), but was running 265's up until recently... so that's my frame of reference. Recently killed my mv50 with overheating.

Do you know how long the tank-less compressor in your 100 takes to air up a 315?

Can someone please educate me (in dummy terms) about tank vs. no tank? I've read some posts that suggest that tire fillup might be slower with a larger tank (or the double tank model) and that the tank is mostly useful for running tools. Would I be better off just using the compressor without a tank in the interest of saving space? My primary purpose is just for airing up tires for now--no air tools in the truck yet. Speed of fillup is priority #1, space savings is priority #2. I don't really understand the technical aspects of compressed air.

@Blue77FJ40 how long does your compressor-only setup take to air up? Are you running 265 tires on the tacoma?

I don't wheel the Taco, it's a DD. I just use the Puma when pressure drops, or as needed. No idea on fill time.

On my '40, the Extreme Aire that I added a tank to, fills each tire quickly. Never had a need to time it.

I think a tank is a good option unless there is no space, if no tank you are at the sole "mercy" of real-time air output of the compressor. If space why not have a tank...regardless, which provides options in the form of utility.

My attempt:
  1. Reminder - always make sure you're running your rig at preferably higher-than-idle engine speed when using the compressor - these are high-amperage-draw devices (would suck to fill yours and your friends' tires only to have a dead battery once done).
  2. Tankless - Puma compressor would be always on/running (unless you've wired in a switch), fine for tires-only but not engineered to be continuous duty over long periods in this configuration (again, high amp draw and over time would potentially shorten the life of the Puma but doubtful any of us would realize that for the short durations we generally use these for).
  3. Tank (leave the whole setup as you bought it) - the tank buys you reserve capacity. Once the tank is filled, the compressor only kicks in as necessary to keep the tank's pressure within its configured specs - running tools, etc. off the tank doesn't keep the compressor "always on" (less amp draw over a longer use cycle).
Hoping that helps, others know much more than I do......

I haven't yet gone tankless but do intend to (also want the space savings for a permanent mount). Would love it if someone would post what to buy and how to wire in an external switch (would be awesome if the compressor would stop once a tire is at a desired pressure) - software guy here so please go easy on me.

img_8737-1-jpg.1433648

THAT....looks great. Well done....

My compressor arrived in the mail today while I was at work discussing it with you guys :) It's bigger than the mental image I had. The compressor would definitely fit under the hood where my washer bottle used to live and I have some louvered sheet metal that I could use to keep the mud out. But I'm also thinking just storing it in a padded box would be good. I wonder if I can lay it on it's side when not in use without busting anything.

My compressor arrived in the mail today while I was at work discussing it with you guys :) It's bigger than the mental image I had. The compressor would definitely fit under the hood where my washer bottle used to live and I have some louvered sheet metal that I could use to keep the mud out. But I'm also thinking just storing it in a padded box would be good. I wonder if I can lay it on it's side when not in use without busting anything.

Its not an oil fed compressor, as long as you don't smash the electrical connections or bend up the copper pressure tube it will be fine on its side. Especially if your putting it in a box.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the speed advantage of "tanked" would only come into play if the tank was fully pressurized prior to air up, and otherwise would actually be a disadvantage. So in other words, if I only use the compressor once a month or so, I would need to fire it up via a dash switch or something a minute before stopping to air up in order to make sure the tank was full beforehand, which would save me a minute or two in total (4) air up time?

I have 315's now (just got them last week), but was running 265's up until recently... so that's my frame of reference. Recently killed my mv50 with overheating.

Do you know how long the tank-less compressor in your 100 takes to air up a 315?

In testing my Puma with and without the tank the difference is little. Keeping the Puma set up all together is the way to go for most unless you have a good understanding on how the controls work to keep things safe.

315 air up time will vari with available voltage,temp, and altitude with that said you can expect a 315 from 15 - 35 psi taking 2 mins with or with a tank. The tankless will introduce more moisture than a tanked set up, something to keep in mind.

I tapped both the ports on the compressor head to accept 3/8" NPT fittings. I put an male quick fitting on one side and a blow off valve on the other. Pressure never builds on one side. I noticed that the gasket between the compressor and the head has a center rib. Should I remove or otherwise modify this rib so that both of the chambers are pressurized? If not, how else do I accomplish this?

Decided to convert my Puma to run tankless since it takes up so much space (and, as others have said, doesn't really help with airing up).
tLFPxKs.jpg

XvWfHco.jpg

FsBoN0A.jpg

I took off the tank (obviously) and the regulator, and put in a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer to go from the tank valve/tee to keep the pressure shutoff working as designed (just with the tiny hard line from the head instead of the tank) so it only runs while I'm filling a tire. I also fabbed a little aluminum arm for the control box. It feels waaaay sturdier than the original setup, even though the arm is only held on by a single bolt through the sheet metal fan shroud.

Oh, also: the wooden runners/feet to keep it up off the ground. I eventually plan to mount the compressor in a box that will also hold the air line and tire filler.

Last but not least, I put an Anderson connector on (not pictured -- it's just loose by the handle) with the other end on a shortened pair of jumper cables. Later, I'll wire in one on either end of the rig so I don't have to open the hood to fill the tires.

Overall, extremely happy with the changes. Not top-heavy any more, takes up half the space, and doesn't have the output sticking out and just begging to catch on other gear while loading/unloading.

Cool setup @GeologistFelix. I've been trying to find a pelican case or action packer or something that I can pack up my puma into and there is really nothing the right size or shape. I might ditch the tank just to find a better off-the-shelf storage box. I have enough projects already and don't really want to build a custom carrying/storage case for the Puma.

:edit: @LandCruiserPhil , is there anything you need to do to run it live without the control box like your 100 setup? Is it safe for the compressor to just run it like that, or any precautions necessary?

Last edited:
Has anyone had a PUMA failure?

My 1st PUMA was purchased in 2007 and has been run monthly since then without issue:clap:

Best Chinese product even purchased by me

I think one of the Coastal Cruisers guys had a failure, I'll see if I can remember who. Might have been @Enigma ?

I got my first one in 2010 after wheeling with you CSC guys in Moab. Only issue it's ever had is the on/off switch has never worked, it won't stay in the OFF position. As it's connected to an underhood circuit breaker it's a non issue, i turn it on and off there anyway.

The 24V unit in my 74 has run like a champ as well - only 4.5 years on that one so far.

I think one of the Coastal Cruisers guys had a failure, I'll see if I can remember who. Might have been @Enigma ?

I got my first one in 2010 after wheeling with you CSC guys in Moab. Only issue it's ever had is the on/off switch has never worked, it won't stay in the OFF position. As it's connected to an underhood circuit breaker it's a non issue, i turn it on and off there anyway.

The 24V unit in my 74 has run like a champ as well - only 4.5 years on that one so far.

Reported failure are rare in comparison to a dual ARB at almost double the cost. But cost aside if you cant depend on it cost really does not matter.

My PUMA record is non stop running for ~4 hours

Does the 24V model look the same just different voltage?

Cool setup @GeologistFelix. I've been trying to find a pelican case or action packer or something that I can pack up my puma into and there is really nothing the right size or shape. I might ditch the tank just to find a better off-the-shelf storage box. I have enough projects already and don't really want to build a custom carrying/storage case for the Puma.

Took me a while, but I found a storage box from The Container Store that was a perfect fit for my twin tank compressor and all the associated gear. Felt like a victory, lol
20170805_160647-jpg.1510849

:edit: @LandCruiserPhil , is there anything you need to do to run it live without the control box like your 100 setup? Is it safe for the compressor to just run it like that, or any precautions necessary?

Its safe if you fully understand what you are doing and the risk.:D

Above is the main reason I have not make the set up available. Everything needs to be live. If you notice I reversed all my output connection so no one can use another hose than the set up. The nice part is it rarely goes over 30A when running were a normal setup will peak at ~50A. I do feel I get more moisture tankless and live.

Reported failure are rare in comparison to a dual ARB at almost double the cost. But cost aside if you cant depend on it cost really does not matter.

My PUMA record is non stop running for ~4 hours

Does the 24V model look the same just different voltage?

Almost identical, the 24V has a beefier head:
37260271234_7176812a2d_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom