Puma 12V Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a Chinese knock off of a Hubel. Hubel quit making them and LeFoo picked up the design.

So after reading pages and pages about this compressor I installed one. I went to the store and bought a 90° elbow for the hose connector end. But when I went to put it on I was disappointed in myself for wasting that time. To orient the regulator for use with my spare next to the compressor was simple and all parts already came with the Puma. It is as simple as moving the safety relief valve to the regulator's spot and mounting the regulator straight out. Maybe I missed this same post somewhere in this thread, but it seemed like everybody was putting a lot of effort in making the 90 turn.

IMG_20180404_200106661.jpg
Thanks again LCP Phil for the quality mounts.

Edit... Here it is without the regulator.
IMG_20180406_092254053.jpg

Last edited:
So after reading pages and pages about this compressor I installed one. I went to the store and bought a 90° elbow for the hose connector end. But when I went to put it on I was disappointed in myself for wasting that time. To orient the regulator for use with my spare next to the compressor was simple and all parts already came with the Puma. It is as simple as moving the safety relief valve to the regulator's spot and mounting the regulator straight out. Maybe I missed this same post somewhere in this thread, but it seemed like everybody was putting a lot of effort in making the 90 turn.

View attachment 1670463 Thanks again LCP Phil for the quality mounts.

You are very welcome It was a pleasure meeting someone with your super dad capabilities.

Most remove the regulator mainly because it is not needed and one less part to reduce flow. The 90° mod is done mostly by the guys running the hose out the window.

Best place to buy? Seems prices have gone up ~$30.

I cannot say enough about these things. I don't get out in my truck that often, but when I do it seems that Puma airs up at least 3 sets of tires and doesn't complain. I turn it on from a dash switch before I need it, fill the tank, flip up the side window and away we go.

I cannot say enough about these things. I don't get out in my truck that often, but when I do it seems that Puma airs up at least 3 sets of tires and doesn't complain. I turn it on from a dash switch before I need it, fill the tank, flip up the side window and away we go.

Sounds great interested is seeing pics of your set up.

I like my Puma and it works great, but I hate taking up space in the cargo area. I could take off the "stand" and do as some have done and mount it over the wheelwell, but I'd prefer to get it the hell out of the space entirely.

Especially with the tank there is no way in hell it's going under my hood (definitely not wither the dual battery) or under my seat, so I was thinking of under the truck in the old spare tire space. That way all the wiring would be easy as it could just be external along the frame.

However, I am worried about dirt, water and grime from being under there compromising the compressor. I could do some sort of plastic tub kind of thing that could mostly protect it, but am worried about overheating the compressor.

What does everyone think? Anybody done this, know of it being done, seen something similar or have a better idea? TIA

You can definitely mount the tank under the truck. I'll do that at some point in the future. I recently separated the tank from the compressor. It's a much smaller footprint. The compressor isn't rated for dust and moisture, and I'm sure it would overheat in a small enclosure.

IMG_20180624_195541_01.jpg

I would think in MA, one of your biggest problems for any under vehicle mount would be the salt damage.

You can definitely mount the tank under the truck. I'll do that at some point in the future. I recently separated the tank from the compressor. It's a much smaller footprint. The compressor isn't rated for dust and moisture, and I'm sure it would overheat in a small enclosure.

View attachment 1740387
If you do this, it means a hole in your floor, I presume, no way to run the fat air lines otherwise
I would think in MA, one of your biggest problems for any under vehicle mount would be the salt damage.
Right, that's kind of what I'm talking about. I don't think it would last long exposed to that, although if it was sort of east to disconnect, I could forgo it in the winter, as I don't do a lot of wheeling in the winter anyway, so there would be less need to air down and up.

4beast, another option is to separate the tank as I did, some of my set up starts about post 143.

If you disconnect during winter and you have a flat...

4beast, another option is to separate the tank as I did, some of my set up starts about post 143.

If you disconnect during winter and you have a flat...
I'm on the fence about disconnecting the tank. I think if I am leaning that direction I'll probably sell the puma and just put an arb undr the hood, as i's a bit more compact, I think.

Well, I still have my spare tire for a flat, and it's very unusual to go anywhere AAA doesn't go without a buddy or two. Guess I could at leas bring an Air Dragon or something...

Bought a PUMA PD1006F and it got shipped to my door today. A lot of you guys talked about buying these things from Buzzard Gulch while another referenced "North Central Air, Inc." I called up North Central Air and found out that they supply the majority of these PUMAs in the States, including to Buzzard Gulch. He was kind enough to go down the rabbit hole of how many PD1006s there were (3) and what their differences were. I ended up with the PD1006F (with air filter). Shipped to my door, it was $235.31 (the compressor itself was $200.00). At the time of this posting, Amazon has the same compressor for $259.95 on Prime.

Upon opening the package, I found out that I'll need to be manipulating the wiring no matter how I want to use this thing. I'll build a mount for it in the back, but will likely keep the thing portable for now.

So, how do you guys safely extend the wiring on this unit to hook it up to the battery? Any kits out there for this? Or simply new wire and electrical tape it to the existing? Any success with jumper cables? @LandCruiserPhil? For the record, I am no DC Electrician but can very easily follow good instructions.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm on the fence about disconnecting the tank. I think if I am leaning that direction I'll probably sell the puma and just put an arb undr the hood, as i's a bit more compact, I think.

Well, I still have my spare tire for a flat, and it's very unusual to go anywhere AAA doesn't go without a buddy or two. Guess I could at leas bring an Air Dragon or something...

Since I normally sleep in the back of my truck I considered removing the tank and plumbing everything, but even with my two person air mattress it doesn't interfere too much and I prefer the simplicity of keeping it together and away from corrosion. The tank is a plus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom