Puma 12V Compressor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading this thred it looks like it need to be a special kind of elbow is this something you can get a Lowe's or homedepot? Or need to order one?

Common brass fitting available at the Lowes, HD, or any hardware store

Went to Lowe's and ever thing I needed. It sure does make it easier to hook up the air hose with that elbow facing the rear of the truck. Thanks again for the help!

IMG_1566.JPG

Can couple of you with this compressor run a time test for me on a set of 315s? I'd like to know the time to go from 15 to 35 PSI with a fully charged/pressurized air comp and the engine running.

Thanks.

Can couple of you with this compressor run a time test for me on a set of 315s? I'd like to know the time to go from 15 to 35 PSI with a fully charged/pressurized air comp and the engine running.

Thanks.

Based on 100+ times using a stop wtch
At sea level, 85°, 1400 rpm 2 minutes per tire.

The first tire would air with slightly lower time if started with a full tank.

Based on 100+ times using a stop wtch
At sea level, 85°, 1400 rpm 2 minutes per tire.

The first tire would air with slightly lower time if started with a full tank.

Umm, you didn't record the humidity and the barometric pressure? Loser. :flipoff2:

Umm, you didn't record the humidity and the barometric pressure? Loser. :flipoff2:

Im surprised you being an engineer you would be more appreciative given the importance of the variables :flipoff2:

FWIW - Scottsdale Arizona does not experience Humidity. As for the other word, it appears to have 4 syllables :eek:

Thanks.

Thought you had on board air?

So I want to divorce the tank from my Puma but still get some auto-shutoff out of the compressor by itself. If anyone's done it, please share what's needed, thx!

No real need to regulate output. Many remove and add a 90° fitting to keep things streamline.

My recent LX470 PUMA mount in progress.

View attachment 1392221

Got it all powered up and tested it against my 80 series stock PUMA set up.

On the live set up I went with hi-flow Milton fittings and a live straight hi-flow connector for the tire valve.

IMG_8493[1].JPG

The 80 set up is stock PUMA and I used the same Anderson power connection so available voltage/amperage was the same

IMG_20170125_150532.jpg

Result zero gain in performance between the two set ups. So I can only come to the conclusion my 10 year old PUMA beats the new stripped down live version.

I just ordered one of these from Ebay, w/ 1 yr guarantee - $242 and change w/free shipping. Been meaning to get one after seeing this thread several years back and suffering with Harbor Freight compressors...lol. They never failed, but air up times were hard to take and the wondering when it would fail was not a good feeling. Be nice to not dread airing up :hillbilly:

Compressor arrived today. Need to get a good hose. I'm not going to mount it in my 80. It will be used in more than 1 rig, so going to fab up a power cable. Trying to decide whether to go with good clamps or fab battery harnesses with high amp quick disconnects - like they use on computer battery backup units (UPS).

Compressor arrived today. Need to get a good hose. I'm not going to mount it in my 80. It will be used in more than 1 rig, so going to fab up a power cable. Trying to decide whether to go with good clamps or fab battery harnesses with high amp quick disconnects - like they use on computer battery backup units (UPS).

A nice solution is to purchase #4 jumper cables and remove the clamps from one end crimp on some Anderson quick connects to the compressor and the open end of the cables and you are ready.

A nice solution is to purchase #4 jumper cables and remove the clamps from one end crimp on some Anderson quick connects to the compressor and the open end of the cables and you are ready.
Yup, those connectors are exactly what I had in mind, Phil. Thanks!

i separated my tank, but the hookups I used are what you describe in my post #143.
I've read a lot of this thread, but couldn't decide what the advantage is for a divorced tank or just removing tank. Is it just for space savings? It would seem that keeping the tank would keep it more flexible, like for OBA (ARB lockers) or air tools.

I've read a lot of this thread, but couldn't decide what the advantage is for a divorced tank or just removing tank. Is it just for space savings? It would seem that keeping the tank would keep it more flexible, like for OBA (ARB lockers) or air tools.

Yes, space savings. Tank unnecessary for me. I only use it for tires. Not my wheeling machine.

In the interest of making some room, I'm thinking about pulling my 4 year old Puma from Phil's awesome mount and installing it under the truck, above the spare tire. I have no idea if the Puma is IP67 waterproof rated like the Viar's or not but has anyone had success with this location?

Can someone please educate me (in dummy terms) about tank vs. no tank? I've read some posts that suggest that tire fillup might be slower with a larger tank (or the double tank model) and that the tank is mostly useful for running tools. Would I be better off just using the compressor without a tank in the interest of saving space? My primary purpose is just for airing up tires for now--no air tools in the truck yet. Speed of fillup is priority #1, space savings is priority #2. I don't really understand the technical aspects of compressed air.

@Blue77FJ40 how long does your compressor-only setup take to air up? Are you running 265 tires on the tacoma?

Can someone please educate me (in dummy terms) about tank vs. no tank? I've read some posts that suggest that tire fillup might be slower with a larger tank (or the double tank model) and that the tank is mostly useful for running tools. Would I be better off just using the compressor without a tank in the interest of saving space? My primary purpose is just for airing up tires for now--no air tools in the truck yet. Speed of fillup is priority #1, space savings is priority #2. I don't really understand the technical aspects of compressed air.

@Blue77FJ40 how long does your compressor-only setup take to air up? Are you running 265 tires on the tacoma?

IMHO, a tank helps to match the pump to your air needs, e.g. a high pressure, low duty cycle pump to a lower pressure, high volume air needs. For airing tires, I went tankless since my pump appears to have enough pressure and duty-cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom