Pulling tcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd really like to hear a good reason for this! Do you leave worn brake pads or shoes on your rig until they start scoring the disk or drum??? Do you put the original oil back into your engine when you change the oil pan gasket, just 'cause it wasn't time to change it??? Do you put the original gear oil back in the diff when you replace a pinion seal because the maintenance schedule said you should get more mileage out of it??? Of course not!!!

Edit: It's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when.

I guess my take is that the VC does have some advantages in winter or slick driving conditions. If its working its fine, if it starts to lock up then out it comes. I don't think its a ticking time bomb, the truck is not going to suddenly self-destruct if the VC locks up... its simply going to act like you left the CDL engaged and it will drive like crap on the street. My 80 came to me with a locked VC, it was difficult to turn at slow speeds. I pulled it, installed a CDL switch and rebuilt the knuckles because they had been neglected. The OP has his case in pieces and asked a question, I offered my opinion ... nothing more than that.

Last edited:
That’s it, we’re having a vote :worms:
In any case I’m far less interested in the VC at this point than I am in getting the shaft out of this front housing!

I personally value the VC. I inadvertently drove home on a trip with my front hubs unlocked as well as the center diff. An hour and a half of mixed driving mostly highway and the ticking time bomb didn’t explode.

It’s not like replacing the thing is done astronomically hard thing to do. And if mine fails I’ll replace it.

For those wondering you leave the snap ring in and just hammer the shaft out. You can leave the dust cover and ball bearing too as long as you’re just replacing the seals.

image.jpg

I personally value the VC. I inadvertently drove home on a trip with my front hubs unlocked as well as the center diff. An hour and a half of mixed driving mostly highway and the ticking time bomb didn’t explode.

It’s not like replacing the thing is done astronomically hard thing to do. And if mine fails I’ll replace it.
I do too, living in snow country. With the front hubs unlocked, it matters not what kind of driving you did. The front drive train had no strain on it, so both drive shafts spun the same. The VC gets hot when drive shaft speeds are different continuously due to excessive wheel spin, not from normal driving on corners or marginal roads in snow country at highway speeds. But with the age and mileage (300K) on my ‘94, if I was into the TC for any reason, IMHO the VC would come out. Yeah it’s not critical or “astronomically hard to do. But u-joints and tires, not mention a 29 yr old drive train, will thank you for the little effort involved with the TC already apart. If I’m off road in loose dirt or terrain or in deep snow at slow speeds, the CDL gets locked to make my VC last as long as possible. Again, IMHO

Finally getting it back in. Quick question on the install. Is this shift linkage supposed to sit up under the hook or clear it? I know the crossmember will move things up but the angle still looks wrong to me.

IMG_1501.jpeg

The 4hilo linkage goes over the hook.

I could be wrong. Maybe wait for other replies. I just took it off recently, so it feels pretty fresh. But I could absolutely be wrong.

That stupid hook is in a really crappy spot for accessing that top t-case mounting bolt.

If that hook is the lifting hook on the rear of the the extension housing, it goes under. Way under.

I could be wrong. Maybe wait for other replies. I just took it off recently, so it feels pretty fresh. But I could absolutely be wrong.

That stupid hook is in a really crappy spot for accessing that top t-case mounting bolt.
I think you are right

i think you are right, god awful place to put that hook though. The bolt that holds the other end of the link on looks like a 10 or 12 per this picture so I’m gonna try to sneak a wrench in there and take it off to avoid lowering the whole case again.

IMG_1502.png

Honestly I'd trust @Malleus before me. He knows more than I do by a long shot. I'm just going by memory on one vehicle.

I was able to get the other end undone. Assuming this is the right home for it I’m not sure how I’d get it on there from under the hook?

IMG_1503.jpeg

It's easier to do from the inside.

Way under? The end of it needs to fit over the pin in the tip of the picture.
This is what mine looks like

Shift linkage.jpg

I assumed you were asking about the longer shift rod, which is several inches below the lift hook. The shorter linkage rod is just off the ear, to the outside.
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom