Pulling tcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you try putting pressure then shocking it with a couple hammer hits?

Freezing or heating will have very little effect since they will be heated or cooled together.
Got it. Ended up using the press on the large gear to hold it in place and muscled it off with a ratchet on the two-jaw. Not recommended but hey, if it works right?:banana:

image.jpg

Another thing for those still watching this. When I was reassembling the big stack earlier today the straight pin part really unnerved me. It was perfectly lined up and the sleeve pressed on how it was supposed to from what I can tell, buts what are the mechanics of how that works? Does the downward pressure from the sleeve fire that straight pin back into place or shave part of it off or what? Everything pressed together flush so I didn’t really worry too much but it did get me wondering.

So I can really just… throw this whole thing away?

View attachment 3414117
If that's the VC, Yes. You must've looked at some VC threads to identify it. It looks like the right part. Forgive me, I haven't been inside a transfer case, so I would confirm that with those that have. And if it fails, it would NOT render the truck inoperable, but it would make it a pain to drive on paved roads. Reason being that when it fails, it is like CDL is activated continuously. So in essence, it would need to be fixed. It is a part that has failed on many 80's.

Edit: The VC is NOT an essential part to the transfer case. So "fixing it" for most is removing it.

Last edited:
I'd try and see if something isn't seated fully in the stack. I wouldn't trust it even if it came off and the gears stayed put. That ring would still be floating around in there on a seek and destroy mission.

Acquired my 97 with a locked up VC, pulling it was my first move which was done by removing the back of the case in place. First time in a transfer case and it was about 3 hours to perform the appendectomy. I’d say leave it in if it’s not misbehaving. You can always pull it if it locks up, you will know it if that happens.

I’m eager to see your take on the final results. I’m on 35’s without gearing and this sure seems to be a good mod.

Acquired my 97 with a locked up VC, pulling it was my first move which was done by removing the back of the case in place. First time in a transfer case and it was about 3 hours to perform the appendectomy. I’d say leave it in if it’s not misbehaving. You can always pull it if it locks up, you will know it if that happens.

I’m eager to see your take on the final results. I’m on 35’s without gearing and this sure seems to be a good mod.
Man I’m going to have to hold a vote on the VC issue. I’ve got till Friday (hopefully) to make up my mind. I will post trail and highway results here as soon am I get it back in.

I’d say leave it in if it’s not misbehaving. You can always pull it if it locks up, you will know it if that happens.
I'd really like to hear a good reason for this! Do you leave worn brake pads or shoes on your rig until they start scoring the disk or drum??? Do you put the original oil back into your engine when you change the oil pan gasket, just 'cause it wasn't time to change it??? Do you put the original gear oil back in the diff when you replace a pinion seal because the maintenance schedule said you should get more mileage out of it??? Of course not!!!

Edit: It's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when.

Last edited:
Got the sleeve pulled out of the front housing. The big snap ring takes more muscle than I wanna give it with the pliers. Is that gap meant to allow you to remove it with a screwgie? Soundguy’s write up mentions hammering the shaft through but I’d guess the ring needs to come out first?

I'd really like to hear a good reason for this! Do you leave worn brake pads or shoes on your rig until they start scoring the disk or drum??? Do you put the original oil back into your engine when you change the oil pan gasket, just 'cause it wasn't time to change it??? Do you put the original gear oil back in the diff when you replace a pinyon seal because the maintenance schedule said you should get more mileage out of it??? Of course not!!!
:popcorn:

Got the sleeve pulled out of the front housing. The big snap ring takes more muscle than I wanna give it with the pliers. Is that gap meant to allow you to remove it with a screwgie? Soundguy’s write up mentions hammering the shaft through but I’d guess the ring needs to come out first?

IMG_1410.jpeg

I'd really like to hear a good reason for this! Do you leave worn brake pads or shoes on your rig until they start scoring the disk or drum??? Do you put the original oil back into your engine when you change the oil pan gasket, just 'cause it wasn't time to change it??? Do you put the original gear oil back in the diff when you replace a pinion seal because the maintenance schedule said you should get more mileage out of it??? Of course not!!!

Edit: It's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when.
Do you buy a set of rims every time you need tires?

Do you buy a set of rims every time you need tires?
I guess I don't see your point. The VC is a ticking time bomb, there is no way to tell it's condition until it fails. I was under the impression that current logic here (MUD), was to get it out of the equation, with the fact that the youngest U.S. spec 80 is more than 20 yrs old. And it seems like the average mileage is like 200K. Being that the OP is already into the TC provides the perfect opportunity to do just that. You disagree?

Man I’m going to have to hold a vote on the VC issue. I’ve got till Friday (hopefully) to make up my mind. I will post trail and highway results here as soon am I get it back in.
No need for a vote. It’s already out, which is where it should be.

I guess I don't see your point. The VC is a ticking time bomb, there is no way to tell it's condition until it fails. I was under the impression that current logic here (MUD), was to get it out of the equation, with the fact that the youngest U.S. spec 80 is more than 20 yrs old. And it seems like the average mileage is like 200K. Being that the OP is already into the TC provides the perfect opportunity to do just that. You disagree?

I think it's a gross exaggeration. The few threads on ih8mud represent an insignificant minority of failures. You could make an argument about literally everything being a matter of "when not if" but the reality is the TC is pretty bulletproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom