Builds Project Lockjaw-1973 Fj40 on Tons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you planning on running a rear spare ? 40 is a big tire . Your Basket is over alot more than i have mine also :hmm:
I was gonna run a spare tire but a 40” might be too big for this carrier. The basket mount and tire mount side were already on the swing outs when I got it. Guess you could say this is just a mock up

I was gonna run a spare tire but a 40” might be too big for this carrier. The basket mount and tire mount side were already on the swing outs when I got it. Guess you could say this is just a mock up
I agree a 40 takes up the entire back looks kinda funny i think . I am still thinking about what i could add to mine . I might add a hi lift

I am planning to put my spare on the back. I’d like to angle it forward to give it a sort of goofy, cartoon look. I have no idea how I will get the tire up there. Maybe some sort of hoist?
Man power! 40” on an old IPOR diy carrier/tire mount.

I personally like the look of a big old spare hanging off the back….

6778C11A-933F-4447-B288-16707D90EAE9.jpeg
A5D8B1B5-F729-4945-B223-F736F924E7DC.jpeg
5FEEAB34-8296-4C46-A126-BBD6944CEEAD.jpeg

Great progress Ryan!!! She’ll be ready in 390 days. 😎

Nik

Slow going on ole Stretch Armstrong as it is being called now, or just Stretch for short. There have been times where I’ve almost lost interest due to getting stuck on suspension work. Just stalled out. Need help with finalizing some of the suspension and just don’t know what to do.

Last edited:
I did redo the dash for roll cage clearance. Had it done or I thought until I closed the doors and didn’t have enough room. Cut out the old and moved the frenched in area inwards.
IMG_3028.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpeg

Hey Ryan, I was wondering how your build is going. I think we would all agree that you have very good skills and are an inspiration for all of us. But my old school SOA and Proffitt Cruisers 4link would not be of any help for you. I have never done a fresh 3/4 link. But I would love to see a complete walk around of what you have done so far and others then would be able to chime in and maybe add some knowledge. Don’t give up. Can’t wait to finally see this build in person some day.

Slow going on ole Stretch Armstrong as it is being called now, or just Stretch for short. There have been times where I’ve almost lost interest due to getting stuck on suspension work. Just stalled out. Need help with finalizing some of the suspension and just don’t know what to do.
I have had a couple of these catch-points during my project. At one point I had 4-linked 60 series axle under the back of the truck and it just didn't clear the frame, tub, tires etc. I had to work on something else for a while to clear my head and create a new plan and get ready to commit to it. That new plan was 1-tons, and linking the front, and it was a big scope creep. I'm happy to chat if you want to talk through anything if that helps.

I did redo the dash for roll cage clearance. Had it done or I thought until I closed the doors and didn’t have enough room. Cut out the old and moved the frenched in area inwards. View attachment 3390688View attachment 3390687
This is an interesting idea. I’m going to consider this before I paint.

I just noticed your post above this! I don’t know what to say but to keep going. I’ve noticed that this forum has encouraged me to do the same on my project. Mine has been stalled a few times and I’m way over on my expected timeline.

I might not be the best help on the suspension as I am on iteration #3 and I haven’t even driven it yet! Oh dear.

Heck yeah Ryan.
You know you have amazing skills, I wish I could help with the suspension stuff to get you jump started again but I’m still a boring SUA guy with only former SOA experience. Lololol

Remember the 60 project, and all your other creations… always come out amazing and always perform well.

As mentioned above, toss an invite out to some people to get them to stop by for a weekend visit to give that final boost.

Don’t give up! GSMTR 2024 🖕🖕

Nik

Might be hard to diagnose from pictures. First one is looking from the front at the passenger side pan hard mount. Second is drivers side looking from the front at the frame side mount of pan hard bar.
IMG_3328.jpeg
IMG_3329.jpeg

The first one here is looking over the passenger side tire at the pan hard bar Second is a full head on look at the front wnd
IMG_3331.jpeg
IMG_3330.jpeg

Right now at full stuff on the drivers side, the pan hard bar makes contact with the front of the diff. You can see how it is angled from the axle side to the frame side somewhat. Not sure how long that bar needs to be or if the frame side needs to be moved outboard somehow.

Couple more pics
Drivers side looking at the frame mount
Last pic is looking down at the pan hard at the diff
IMG_3333.jpeg
IMG_3334.jpeg

Thanks for the reply Mike. I’ll take a look at it this weekend.

I had to push my axle mount forward a little more than that for the same reason. I have a passenger drop Dana 60 though, so the diff-cover is close to the axle mount.

I had to push my axle mount forward a little more than that for the same reason. I have a passenger drop Dana 60 though, so the diff-cover is close to the axle mount.
Good point. I also have a right side diff and I forgot that I kicked my axle mount out as far as I could to clear. I’d imagine that something similar would help for the left side diff.

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom