Builds Project Beach Cruiser | The 1971 FJ40 Patina RestoMod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She's a beaut! What a combo, terrific choice.

I was running that size tire on the 45 back in ‘06 when you were shooting video from the back of the truck at Glitter Gulch.
Remember that?

@65swb45 I remember that trip really well. Can you believe that was 15 years ago?!?

Well now I know where I got the idea that this tire size is perfect on a 40: your 45 and the way you used it was more fun than any 10 people used their cruiser.

I’ll have to dig through my old computer. I have those photos and the video somewhere.

Your 40 reminds me so much of our 72 FST that is nearly 100% original.

DSC_0352-1280x850.jpg

After 12 years of owning this Cruiser, I finally got the wheels and tires I dreamed of installed. No more hand-me-down mismatched 25 year old tires on my beach crusier.

Wheels are grey city racer 16x5.5 steel wheels and tires are falken wildpeak mt’s in 235/85R16. Hub caps are straight from Toyota.

After doing a bunch of research, I decided this is my ‘formula’ for a perfect 40. Stock height with (basically) a 32x9.0x16 tire. The Falken tire is made by Sumitomo Rubber, the same company that made the factory Dunlop tires in 1971. Of any modern tire, I feel the tread pattern is the closest to the look of a 70’s mud tire. The fact its the same manufacturer as what rolled off the factory is icing on the cake.

Going from 31x10.5x15’s to 235x85x16 is night and day. With manual steering I can turn in a parking lot again. The tires are soft, ride amazing and inspire confidence on the road. It feels ‘right’ to drive.

I love it. The wait was worth it for me. I have been waiting far too long for my cruiser to feel like this.

View attachment 2965381View attachment 2965382View attachment 2965383
That looks great! I think I want the same set up.

How have those seats held up? I’m thinking of getting the same dark red/maroon on a different model Procar seat. I thought they may fade quickly.

@GRM Read through your entire thread and just wanted to say Great Work man! Love that you're enjoying the fruits of your labor (And patience)!!!

I’m not sure if others do this; but half the time I can’t remember what I did or what parts I used; so excuse me while I jot down notes for my future self.

Maybe its surprising or maybe it isn’t but this 40 is built with many old leftover parts. Service parts are no exception. Saturday I drive the cruiser to lunch and it would not want to run under load. Upon investigation, I remembered that the cap, rotor, and wires came off one of my parts engines.

Call to cruiser outfitters set me up with 2f plugs, and 3fe cap, rotor, wires, and distributor o-ring.

As a reminder for my future self: I should have used 2f wires as 1 and 6 wire are too short with the tall deck and coil mounted to the block. It fits, but barely.

Live and learn. I’ll remember to go with 2f plug wires when I read this thread again in 10 years.

IMG_2023-10-20-180221.jpeg
IMG_2023-10-20-180244.jpeg
IMG_2023-10-20-180325.jpeg
IMG_2023-10-20-180632.jpeg

I had a melancholy moment today. Back in the day, I was a part of the Toyota Trail Teams. At the end of the year, we were celebrating the end of our first year, completing a huge accomplishment in the Launch of FJ Cruiser. That night, we had a big dinner, and Toyota leadership gave us gifts, including a Grille Badge.

The badge I received made it onto Project Rocinante (A truck, named after a truck, named after a horse. But also my double; like Don Quixote, Rocinante is awkward, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.), where it lived for 15 years. Last weekend, I sold Rocinante. It was a somber experience, after the thousands of hours I put into it, making it the perfect truck.

Now the badge on it’s new home, on Beach Cruiser.

While Rocinante is gone, it feels good to see a piece of it live on.

IMG_2023-10-20-180353.jpeg

IMG_6204.jpeg
IMG_6205.jpeg
IMG_6206.jpeg
IMG_6207.jpeg
With new found space in the garage, I’m finding it a-lot easier to get small projects done. I swapped in a Fan Shroud, stopped the door rattle, added new hood stops, and swapped mini truck shift knobs for new FJ60 ones.

Nothing major, but it feels good to get the 40 in better shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom