Fan Shroud for A 2F Swapped FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
Looking for some help: a few years back I swapped a 2fe into my 1971 FJ40. One of the details I never finalized was getting a fan shroud, as I am running a ~19” FJ60 clutch fan with an aftermarket 1971 radiator.

Before I go down a rabbit hole custom fabbing a shroud, I’m hoping there is a simpler option that I missed after multiple mud-searches.

Any help or advice on getting a fan shroud that fits for my 40?

A85D6127-E80E-4D29-B516-13641BE7D3AF.jpeg

You just neee a 1975+ Fj40 fan shroud. It's not as "box like" as your original from 1971. You might also want to look for the support rods for the radiator since they will fit different with the "new" fan shroud. While your orginal one from 1971 should work, it might be best to at leat get the one for the other side.... I'll need to take pics for you once it's light out. I did this on mine and have no issues.

Just post a wanted ad under classifieds or go to a used parts Fj40 vendor.

Reactions: GRM
that's one Heavy Duty little NipponDenso you have saddled to the side of your radiator there ...

it's the taller UNICORN version too , very very kool indeed

that's one Heavy Duty little NipponDenso you have saddled to the side of your radiator there ...

it's the taller UNICORN version too , very very kool indeed

Good eye. Very few people notice the ND on my tractor overflow can.

From what I previously read, if you are running a FJ60 fan, then the fan will be too large (in diameter) for the FJ40 2F shroud. You either need to use a FJ40 fan or to hack a shroud (either starting from a FJ60 shroud or a FJ40 2F shroud).
^^ this ^^

FWIW - Fan & Size:

16361-61010 (8/76 - 1/79) diameter = 430mm
16361-61020 (1/79 - 8/87) diameter = 450mm

Reactions: GRM
@GA Architect do you happen to know if the FJ40 430mm fan will bolt to the FJ60 water pump? If so, that sounds like the easiest path.

I did the same thing and bought a fan shroud from BTB that would adjust so it would fit the FJ60 fan. The fj40 2F fan shroud is to small.

@GA Architect do you happen to know if the FJ40 430mm fan will bolt to the FJ60 water pump? If so, that sounds like the easiest path.
I'm 99% sure both fan's bolt pattern is the same. I actually run an Aisin FCT-049 Fan Clutch, which it typically for an FJ80 but can be used for the 40/45/55/60.

Again from previous research, the 40 and 60 fans use the same bolts pattern (as long as both are for clutch) but the interest in the 60 fan should be that it comes less toward the front/radiator while the 40 fan will be closer to the radiator (bolt flange of the 40 fan has less backspace to compare to a wheel).
And it often matters for 2F installed in FJ40 originally with a F engine as the radiator is closer to the engine (when the fan clutch appeared on the 2F, Toyota moved the radiator slightly forward to make room).

^
this was my experience as well - you need that spare space. the 60 fan fitting the fan clutch deeper than the ‘new’ Aisan 40 fan. see in your pick how the fan clutch is almost inside the fan. The 40 fan sticks out @ 1”. I think the older oem 40 fans are backspaced different. The newer Asian fans are probably from some other Toyota application …I mean it’s just a fan, nothing vehicle specifi. Others can chime in but I might try to find an older Oem 2f fan to check
they moved the radiator forward @ 1” when the 2f came out in 75 - I don’t know when they added the fan clutch so that has to be adjusted for as well

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my 2F's water pump, fan clutch and fan (16361-61010) with a dimension off the block.

IMG_8859.jpg

The water pump below.
IMG_5600.jpg

Fan Clutch is the Aisin FCT-049 unit.

I like the Toyota Tacoma fan, smaller blade, fits inside the 75-79 shroud, bolts to the 2F fan clutch

@65swb45 if it looks professionally built, sign me up for that shroud.

Tried to dm you, but it wasn’t working. Happy to take it off your hands.

alrighty, here is what you need if you're just going to get parts from later years, to include the same style fan that you're using. Mine is a 1971 as well with this "upgrade" of parts tossed in (minus the 2F engine)

A 1975+ fj40 fan shroud. Yes, it will not fit in its original configuration with the larger fj60 fan. Really, all i did was get some tin snips and cut the outer edge off of the shroud until the fan cleared. (sorry for the s***e pics, i didn't review them after taking them until now and it is now dark outside). So now it fits

IMG_20230119_150624.jpg

You need a 1975+ radiator support. The early years have a big fat round back support that will not allow the 2F water pump and fan to clear once you push the radiator back (toward the front bumper_

IMG_20230119_150643[1].jpg

As you can see in the picture below, you can still use your original radiator support rod. On the other side, the 1975+ supports allow for a second rod on the driver's side.

IMG_20230119_150630[1].jpg

IMG_20230119_150657[1].jpg

Last s***ty pic.....on the 1975+ radiator support, you will need to lengthen the holes where it bolts down at the bottom so you can move the radiator toward the front bumper of the vehicle. That way your fan will clear from hitting the radiator itself. Once you install the splash guards, you will also need to cut a small section off it so the drain can pass through it (your choice)....The hardest part will be drilling out the old bolts on the radiator support. After doing that, I had to run down to the hardware store, get me new bots, grind down the heads flat like the originals, and toss them in. I super glued them in place so they could hold temporally as I tightened it all down. Welding it in place would have been best. But 3 years later on hard bumpy trails and nothing has shaken loose. Feel free to ask anything else, good luck.

IMG_20230119_150754[1].jpg

alrighty, here is what you need if you're just going to get parts from later years, to include the same style fan that you're using. Mine is a 1971 as well with this "upgrade" of parts tossed in (minus the 2F engine)

A 1975+ fj40 fan shroud. Yes, it will not fit in its original configuration with the larger fj60 fan. Really, all i did was get some tin snips and cut the outer edge off of the shroud until the fan cleared. (sorry for the s***e pics, i didn't review them after taking them until now and it is now dark outside). So now it fits

View attachment 3224279

You need a 1975+ radiator support. The early years have a big fat round back support that will not allow the 2F water pump and fan to clear once you push the radiator back (toward the front bumper_

View attachment 3224280

As you can see in the picture below, you can still use your original radiator support rod. On the other side, the 1975+ supports allow for a second rod on the driver's side.

View attachment 3224282

View attachment 3224283

Last s***ty pic.....on the 1975+ radiator support, you will need to lengthen the holes where it bolts down at the bottom so you can move the radiator toward the front bumper of the vehicle. That way your fan will clear from hitting the radiator itself. Once you install the splash guards, you will also need to cut a small section off it so the drain can pass through it (your choice)....The hardest part will be drilling out the old bolts on the radiator support. After doing that, I had to run down to the hardware store, get me new bots, grind down the heads flat like the originals, and toss them in. I super glued them in place so they could hold temporally as I tightened it all down. Welding it in place would have been best. But 3 years later on hard bumpy trails and nothing has shaken loose. Feel free to ask anything else, good luck.

View attachment 3224285
Considering he’s been running his setup for a couple of years already just missing the shroud, I d guess he’s got your other concerns handled.

Either that, or you’ve made him nervous about second guessing his work.

When I bought my 8/69 it had a replaced 60 2f with no fan shroud and I drove it like that for a year or so - no issues but I decided to get a shroud while fixing other PO issues. Not knowing anything I ran into the same situation as desertfj40 - the rad support won’t really allow any room to move forward due to the cross tube. Luckily I found a local guy with a stash of stuff from a restomod that included a 77 fan and rad support and drilled new holes in the core support brackets where the factory moved them when the 2f came out. I haven’t cut the shroud..yet - but that looks like an option if i need the fan>rad clearance
i didnt notice or measure the distance from the fan>rad before I took the old core out so it could have been 1/2” for all I know - it was a tight fit for sure

Last edited:
Well; I bought the 1979 fan shroud, and a “422.5mm” tacoma/4runner/t100 (Aisin FNT-005), and low and behold, it is BIGGER than the FJ60 (advertised as 450mm) Fan I removed.

I’m genuinely confused now. Maybe the Tacoma fan was mis-boxed? It appears to be ~475mm od.

Any ideas or help on this one? Maybe the aisin fan is bigger than other brands?

IMG_5439.jpeg

Well, I ordered the VDO fan for a tacoma, which is advertised as 15” OD.

Its exactly the same size as the Aisin fan, at 475mm OD.

IMG_5790.jpeg

I did more keyboard engineering, and the only other fan I found that maybe would work; is a 1994-1995 4Runner/T100 fan. Past that, I’m not sure what to order.

But before I start buying more fans, I’m going to try my old FJ60/62 Fan. There is about 30mm of clearance to the steel shroud. Wish me luck.

Weird, I’ll have to dig up which one part # I used.
On my 71 I have a FJ60 fan and water pump and it kinda rubbed my 75-79 shroud the first time offroading, and was fine after the self-clearance.
Whatever blade I referenced on my last comment was on a 78 I built (a Non-US 40 I converted to fan clutch), that one was definitely a bit smaller.

I think Kurt @cruiseroutfit spec’d it out for me at the time. I definitely got it from them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom