Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like he said. I found some roll cage paint on Amazon that had a narrower spray pattern for less overspray.

Like he said. I found some roll cage paint on Amazon that had a narrower spray pattern for less overspray.

Roll cage paint?

How oddly specific.

Did it run smooth with front DS pulled?
Also, with a double cardan shaft, you must pay attention to your pinion angle in relation to your upper cv shaft down angle.
The pinion should point up to the tcase output.
View attachment 2142405

Appreciate the follow up Stump! I have not had the opportunity the pull the shaft. Getting an alignment and tires re-balanced at a different shop this Friday. If the issue goes away, great; if not, then will remove the front shaft and report back.
Verified - Pinion is pointed up towards the tcase output.

Appreciate the follow up Stump! I have not had the opportunity the pull the shaft. Getting an alignment and tires re-balanced at a different shop this Friday. If the issue goes away, great; if not, then will remove the front shaft and report back.
Verified - Pinion is pointed up towards the tcase output.
Yeah, check those CV angles in front and back. Do you have adjustable control arms in the back and did you get a panhard bar drop or adjustable panhard for the front and rear axles? Lifting a truck shifts the axles a bit, depending on the size of the lift.

Anyone have suggestions on how to prep and paint sliders/skids? I got them in bare metal and theres a lot of conflicting info online about whats the best way to go about painting. I know they'll get scratched up when I use them so they don't need to be perfect but I don't want the paint to just fall off.

I'm planning to remove the oil then sand with 80 grit to then prep them for paint. I was thinking of using a few coats of rustoleum self etching primer followed by several coats of enamel paint.

Any suggestions or critiques from guys with experience would be appreciated!
Metaltech4x4 has instructions in their tech section:
This is the way...

Yeah, check those CV angles in front and back. Do you have adjustable control arms in the back and did you get a panhard bar drop or adjustable panhard for the front and rear axles? Lifting a truck shifts the axles a bit, depending on the size of the lift.

High-Tech trucks did a great job aligning the front end and re-balancing all five wheels; was able to locate a problem tire (so that now makes two of the original five that were/are defective). Will be filing a 2nd "warranty" return&replace next week.

All in all the issue seems to be gone, and hoping it stays that way.

@Stumpalama - Angles are good front and rear. No panhard drop brackets, but do indeed have adjustable control arms on the rear axle. Adjustable panhards front and rear as well. @OTRAMM set me up nice when we installed the lift a few years ago; no driveline issues or vibrations until recent.

High-Tech trucks did a great job aligning the front end and re-balancing all five wheels; was able to locate a problem tire (so that now makes two of the original five that were/are defective). Will be filing a 2nd "warranty" return&replace next week.

All in all the issue seems to be gone, and hoping it stays that way.

@Stumpalama - Angles are good front and rear. No panhard drop brackets, but do indeed have adjustable control arms on the rear axle. Adjustable panhards front and rear as well. @OTRAMM set me up nice when we installed the lift a few years ago; no driveline issues or vibrations until recent.
Ah! I didn't know tires were the last thing changed. Are your tires bfg?

Ah! I didn't know tires were the last thing changed. Are your tires bfg?

Same issue different severity due to, evidently the same source! Prior to putting new tires on (these are General Tire Grabber X3) the belts in the previous shoes (Milestart Patagonia) were warped to the point where undulations were visible in the treads. Ok ok, that is to be expected with old mud tires over time; however, to have the same problem come back, albeit less harsh, with brand new tires, I didn't think it possible, so I did exploratory surgery on other possible culprits. Crossing fingers that I'm good to go now. :steer:

I just remember BFG's in the early 2000's having some QC issues and like 1 in 5 tires were out of round and would not balance at all.

Was removing my skids to grease the drive shafts. Saw my rear LCA lose as can be...

20191207_122316.jpg

20191207_122307.jpg

That's not good.

Swapped over to my YotaMD keys. Could’ve been done in about 5 minutes if I hadn't had to search for one of the tiny nuts that I dropped on the floor for an hour.

A giant magnet is your friend! That is the worst. I dropped an o-ring and a nut this week... such a waste of time!

I'm still screwing around with my is300 exhaust. Every connection is fused together. I'm having to chop every bolt, but in a couple cases the grinder just won't fit it gets too close to other bits. I had to cut both flanges and take a cold chisel to remove the metal around the bolt...so I can remove the bolt.
IMG_20191203_163804.jpg

And on the other side there is a bracket bolt on a hanger that looks like it dual purpose as a transmission mount that is relatively unaccessible. I'm having to Dremel slice .5mm at a time with the hopes to drive the bolt out. Sits right next to some important looking hard lines.
IMG_20191203_152113.jpg

And of course the last o2 sensor was cross threaded into the old mid pipe.
IMG_20191203_151857.jpg

It rains on my days off, and I'm not really wanting to crawl under there today. Supposed to snow tonight.

So much easier to work on the trucks when I don't have to worry about being crushed to death from low ground clearance.

Bummed I couldn’t make the trail ride yesterday but got in some wrenching time today on the 100

1️⃣ power steering flush and cleaned the reservoir. I should have done this way sooner. Someone clearly put the wrong stuff in (barf) Already much quieter. Wife even leant a hand spinning the wheel for me lol.
2️⃣ greased u joints
3️⃣ tire rotation
4️⃣ failed at a torsion bar lift in the front since I didn’t have the right size socket and my adjustable wrench wouldn’t clear the bracket
5️⃣ wired in a noise filter for the CarPlay aftermarket head unit, noise is about 98% gone
6️⃣ fixed a minor drip from the sunroof with some 3m weatherstrip sealer last weekend

undercarriage looks good post Krown treatment despite driving in heavy rain a few times.

I need bigger jack stands
88B35595-34DE-4D05-94F2-04B24DC3C57F.jpeg
3109B7CD-45D0-4D9E-BDB6-8AC64E0E936E.jpeg
DFE4AFD7-BD36-42AE-A54D-706AFEF7C141.jpeg
5A27150A-04F1-43E6-89E1-33BE8ECD77B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom