Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on?

I just wanted to say hey to everyone without starting a new thread! Sorry I have been MIA. I got resigned and part of that is teaching every Wednesday night for the last year so that's why I haven't been at meetings. I have also been taking care of my dad which has taken a load of time. I have done some work to the FJ but there is still a lot to do. I just renewed my TLCA membership so it motivated me to sign in and get back involved. I hope to make it to a meeting soon as my Wednesdays should be clear soon. Once I get all the electric on my FJ sorted out I will be ready to wheel. I now have a bada$$ bumper and warn up front! I still need some better skids, but I will handle that after the holidays. I really am sorry for being so unconnected but I promise to get back in the mix. My family situation is very demanding. I hope everyone is doing well!

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

I just wanted to say hey to everyone without starting a new thread! Sorry I have been MIA. I got resigned and part of that is teaching every Wednesday night for the last year so that's why I haven't been at meetings. I have also been taking care of my dad which has taken a load of time. I have done some work to the FJ but there is still a lot to do. I just renewed my TLCA membership so it motivated me to sign in and get back involved. I hope to make it to a meeting soon as my Wednesdays should be clear soon. Once I get all the electric on my FJ sorted out I will be ready to wheel. I now have a bada$$ bumper and warn up front! I still need some better skids, but I will handle that after the holidays. I really am sorry for being so unconnected but I promise to get back in the mix. My family situation is very demanding. I hope everyone is doing well!
Great to hear from you. Family first, always. We’ll be here when you are ready. I’m assuming you meant reassigned?

Hi folks - I'm a relatively new 100 series owner and looking for a mechanic recommendation in Northern Virginia. I'm slowly starting to learn how to work on the truck myself but there's quite a bit where I need help. I've had good experiences with Lance @ Iron Pig but unfortunately he's about an hour away (ditto for OTRAMM). Any other mechanics that people have had good luck with in the area?

Bludozer

SILVER Star
Hi folks - I'm a relatively new 100 series owner and looking for a mechanic recommendation in Northern Virginia. I'm slowly starting to learn how to work on the truck myself but there's quite a bit where I need help. I've had good experiences with Lance @ Iron Pig but unfortunately he's about an hour away (ditto for OTRAMM). Any other mechanics that people have had good luck with in the area?
I'd honestly just make the trek to @OTRAMM. He's the best in the biz, lots of people travel a lot further than an hour to have him work on their truck.

Anyone have suggestions on how to prep and paint sliders/skids? I got them in bare metal and theres a lot of conflicting info online about whats the best way to go about painting. I know they'll get scratched up when I use them so they don't need to be perfect but I don't want the paint to just fall off.

I'm planning to remove the oil then sand with 80 grit to then prep them for paint. I was thinking of using a few coats of rustoleum self etching primer followed by several coats of enamel paint.

Any suggestions or critiques from guys with experience would be appreciated!

76FJ40

Old Fart

Like he said. I found some roll cage paint on Amazon that had a narrower spray pattern for less overspray.

DominicanFZJ80

Getting there...
Did it run smooth with front DS pulled?
Also, with a double cardan shaft, you must pay attention to your pinion angle in relation to your upper cv shaft down angle.
The pinion should point up to the tcase output.
View attachment 2142405

Appreciate the follow up Stump! I have not had the opportunity the pull the shaft. Getting an alignment and tires re-balanced at a different shop this Friday. If the issue goes away, great; if not, then will remove the front shaft and report back.
Verified - Pinion is pointed up towards the tcase output.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Appreciate the follow up Stump! I have not had the opportunity the pull the shaft. Getting an alignment and tires re-balanced at a different shop this Friday. If the issue goes away, great; if not, then will remove the front shaft and report back.
Verified - Pinion is pointed up towards the tcase output.
Yeah, check those CV angles in front and back. Do you have adjustable control arms in the back and did you get a panhard bar drop or adjustable panhard for the front and rear axles? Lifting a truck shifts the axles a bit, depending on the size of the lift.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Anyone have suggestions on how to prep and paint sliders/skids? I got them in bare metal and theres a lot of conflicting info online about whats the best way to go about painting. I know they'll get scratched up when I use them so they don't need to be perfect but I don't want the paint to just fall off.

I'm planning to remove the oil then sand with 80 grit to then prep them for paint. I was thinking of using a few coats of rustoleum self etching primer followed by several coats of enamel paint.

Any suggestions or critiques from guys with experience would be appreciated!
Metaltech4x4 has instructions in their tech section:
This is the way...

DominicanFZJ80

Getting there...
Yeah, check those CV angles in front and back. Do you have adjustable control arms in the back and did you get a panhard bar drop or adjustable panhard for the front and rear axles? Lifting a truck shifts the axles a bit, depending on the size of the lift.
High-Tech trucks did a great job aligning the front end and re-balancing all five wheels; was able to locate a problem tire (so that now makes two of the original five that were/are defective). Will be filing a 2nd "warranty" return&replace next week.

All in all the issue seems to be gone, and hoping it stays that way.

@Stumpalama - Angles are good front and rear. No panhard drop brackets, but do indeed have adjustable control arms on the rear axle. Adjustable panhards front and rear as well. @OTRAMM set me up nice when we installed the lift a few years ago; no driveline issues or vibrations until recent.

Top Bottom