Power window master switch not working - can't close window (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
the power window switch panel on the driver side has stopped working on my 2001 Cruiser. And to make things worse, the driver window was down and I cannot close it.

None of the switches work, can't control any window, the central locking system or switch to disable window control. All other windows can be opened/closed from their respective switches.

I've removed and opened the master switch, nothing is visibly at fault. I've looked at the fuses inside the cabin and under the hood, all seem fine. I've removed the door panel, and inspected the wires - they seem fine to me.

I think this is a fault in the panel itself, since nothing can be controlled from it, and there is no sound when trying to control the driver side window.

1: has anyone else here run into this? (I've searched, but not found this particular issue)
2: is it safe to apply voltage from the battery to the window motor to close the window? Will I run into issues (when I've fixed/replaced the panel) with alignment or needing to reset the window ?

Thanks,
Jon Arnar

Try pulling a working switch from one of the other doors. But, the fact that it's the whole panel and not just that one switch tells me it's more likely upstream in the wiring or fuses. There's 4 different fuses for the locks and windows. Do the window switches on the other doors work?

Thought about using a working switch from another door, but assumed the harness clip would not fit?

I did not find the dedicated fuses for the locks and windows though, at least not in the fuse panel under the steering wheel. I've only got the FSM for the 2004 and e.g. the window motor harness looks different from the one in the 2001 model. Do you know where the fuses are located ?

The other window switches work fine.

For now, I'd settle for finding a way to close the window hehe..

upload_2017-3-5_14-41-40.png
upload_2017-3-5_14-41-57.png

Could be two things.
Carbon buildup at the contacts and it is super easy to clean those. Did you notice any slowing down of motor recently?
You can manually clean the contact points. Don't remove the window lock/unlock button.

See this video:

Or a wire is broken at the door hinge area (less common) and will also malfunction other doors.

Replace the fuses, even if they look to be Ok. Next thing to check is the wiring in the door hinge rubber conduit. I had intermittent window operation then nothing. Completely stopped. Found a broken wire and a couple of chafed ones in the rubber conduit.

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the fuses on the passenger side. Will check now. The contacts looked clean to me, not sure if the whole panel would stop working if a single contact would stop working. I'll clean them anyways!

I don't have the EWD in front of me but you may want to check it to see if there is a common ground wire for that switch. If so check the wires in the door conduit.

This sounds exactly like my current issue: 2001 Land Cruiser with drivers front window down (but won't go back UP).

Some of the info on this thread seems faulty. The 2001 does NOT have a passenger side fusebox, and the window motors are NOT individually fused. According to the Driver's Manual, all 4 windows run of the same 40A fuse (location 45, left side kick panel).

This fuse also runs the power seats, moonroof, power locks... so if any of those are working (which they are) I'm not chasing a blown fuse.

Quick search around here suggests the next most common failure could be broken wires in the loom as they pass into the door near the hinge area.

BTW: As of today (8/28/2019) replacement parts are as follows:

Master Panel Door Switch: 84820-60100 $1109.19
Window Motor: $770.68

Looking for any other ideas, but mainly a quick way to roll up the window for time being. Preferably by jumpering across the wires in the master panel wiring harness Molex vs. taking the entire door panel apart.

-G

This sounds exactly like my current issue: 2001 Land Cruiser with drivers front window down (but won't go back UP).

Some of the info on this thread seems faulty. The 2001 does NOT have a passenger side fusebox, and the window motors are NOT individually fused. According to the Driver's Manual, all 4 windows run of the same 40A fuse (location 45, left side kick panel).

This fuse also runs the power seats, moonroof, power locks... so if any of those are working (which they are) I'm not chasing a blown fuse.

Quick search around here suggests the next most common failure could be broken wires in the loom as they pass into the door near the hinge area.

Looking for any other ideas, but mainly a quick way to roll up the window for time being. Preferably by jumpering across the wires in the master panel wiring harness Molex vs. taking the entire door panel apart.

-G

Greg, Take an hour and pull the door panel and the lower kick panel by your left foot. Pull that rubber conduit loose between the door and the kick panel, inspect the wires. I almost guarantee you have a broken wire.

Mine started as an intermittent inoperable window. It would only work if the door was closed. Then I would start to roll down the window and open the door at the same time and would notice the window stopped. Then finally, it stopped completely. I totally shade treed it, by using butt splice connectors and extra length of 14ga wire and it's worked fine for several years now.

Having a similar problem. Diagnosis using the manual says it is the Master Panel Door Switch. The above has me worried, except, as of today May 22 2020:

84820-60100 Power Window Master Switch for Lexus LX470 For Toyota Land Cruiser US$28.99 on eBay.

Item specifics
Condition:NewCustom Bundle:No
Warranty:1 YearInterchange Part Number:8482060100 84820 60100
Manufacturer Part Number:84820-60100Color:Black
Placement on Vehicle:Door window switchTo Control:REGULATOR POWER WINDOW MASTER SWITCH
Switch Type:Driver's Door Master SwitchOther Part Number:Front Left Window Control Switch
Fitment Type:Direct ReplacementBrand:SORGHUM
Non-Domestic Product:NoUPC:Does not apply

Unfortunately the one I have found so far is for a LHD (American) vehicle. I need a RHD (Australian) version. Still looking.

Well, I'm still looking for a Master Window Switch for a RHD 1998 LX470.

There are lots of LHD switches out there for less than $30, but no RHD switches. Does anybody have any ideas on where to find a RHD version? I've checked eBay in Japan and the UK, and a couple of other countries that drive on the left side of the road. No luck. OEM parts direct from Japan suppliers are still ridiculous prices, up to $1,400. China supplies all sorts of switches, but not a RHD 1998 LX470 switch.

Any new ideas welcome. I might have to get an electronics repairer to look at it.

Well, I'm still looking for a Master Window Switch for a RHD 1998 LX470.

There are lots of LHD switches out there for less than $30, but no RHD switches. Does anybody have any ideas on where to find a RHD version? I've checked eBay in Japan and the UK, and a couple of other countries that drive on the left side of the road. No luck. OEM parts direct from Japan suppliers are still ridiculous prices, up to $1,400. China supplies all sorts of switches, but not a RHD 1998 LX470 switch.

Any new ideas welcome. I might have to get an electronics repairer to look at it.
Try to locate a used one at a salvage yard.

Thanks Kevin,

I have my eye on one, but they want $245 for a used original one out of a 1998 LX470. Given that the Chinese ones are around $23, that is hard to swallow. I could run through ten Chinese units for the same cost!

Is it that the internals of the switch panel don't work, or part of the actual housing is bunk?

The housing, switches, etc. are fine. Diagnosis says the Master Switch has failed, so I assume it is the electronics. So, internals.

There appears to be a relay in there, and I might investigate if that is working at some time.

I have been able to make the driver's side window lower and raise by jumping pins in the connector, as per the wiring diagram. So at least for the driver's window, the wiring seems fine.

Form factor aside, I wonder if the internal electronics can be replaced with a LHD unit, and some pins swapped in the connector to convert the LHD electronics to work properly for RHD. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom