power steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched a lot and found good info, but i was wondering one thing. I am going with the saginaw steering and i need to build the steering shaft and column, etc. I have a 1969 and i don't think i will be able to use my stock column. would a jeep wrangler column and shaft go in and hook up to the saginaw box? I would obviously have to change the shaft length, but i'd get a lot of pieces that fit.

Why can't you use the stock column? On a Saginaw conversion you cut the stock just a little bit above the OEM steering box. Depending on what conversion you are using you then weld on a joint to the OEM shaft, slide the steering shaft fromt he kit in the other end and run it to the Saginaw box.

If you set on changing the column, I like the early 70's Camaro/Firebird tilt columns. Bolts up under the dash with very minor modification and fab a plate onto the column housing were it runs throug the firewall.

Good Luck

That's what I paid buy'n my junk piece meal.

While your welding the drivers side plate on I'd recommend boxing the passenger side frame rail too.

:hijack:

Kurt - Which box plates do you use? Not the cast ones I hope. Also do you have the flat or nearly flat pitman arms?

66fj40x2 said:
...Kurt - Which box plates do you use? Not the cast ones I hope. Also do you have the flat or nearly flat pitman arms?

Nope, nice steel plate with DOM spacers.

Yes, the pitman arms we use are flat, ~7.25" center to center. :D

Hi All:

"Cruiser Oufitters" sells a good P/S kit at a reasonable price!

I pieced-together the various bits to do the swap a few years ago; I'm sure I spent a least $300.

If you are interested I can forward you a list of all the Saginaw u-joints, etc. that are required to fab your own steering column.

Regrads,

Alan
Seattle

just bought one from kurt a few months ago. hes the man. even talked me through a few things even when he was busy. wouldnt hesitate to do it again

camcruiser13 said:
just bought one from kurt a few months ago. hes the man. even talked me through a few things even when he was busy. wouldnt hesitate to do it again

And I have all your pictures (and a couple other installs worth) to make a decent online "guide" and pics of the parts... I just need to get around to it :D Glad it worked out nicely for you Cam!

like a glove, so happy i did it. let me know if you need help or more pics kurt

Curious if anyone had done PS and kept the 3 on the tree. I have a nice original 64 that i'd like to keep that way but the wife won't drive it without PS and I don't blame her. She'll have trouble with a STIFF clutch, shifter on the column and manual steering of an old beast.

i imagine theres a way, whos is stif, mine is easy easy to push in,

wife even says it aint stiff, haha

Curt-

Please post up a pic of the pitman arm that you supply.

THANKS!

-Steve

if Kurt doesnt have one i could post mine tommorow, got mine from Kurt

wesintl - I'm not sure you could use a saginaw conversion it. IIRC, were you have to cut the OEM steering shaft would remove part of the shifter bracket. I think you could do a mini-truck power steering set up and keep the column shift tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom