Power Steering Reservoir Cap Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not exciting tech but I took the time to replace the leaking gasket on my power steering reservoir cap. I had already purchased a new one so I had nothing to lose if the repair attempt failed. In the end it took only about 15 minutes and cost me nothing. To be fair I had a small sheet of rubber on hand so if you had to buy some gasket material or rubber there would be a small cost.

First you remove the dip stick portion. Gently squeeze on the sides opposite the tabs that hold the end on with a pair of pliers. It's best if you can grab it near the bottom. A slight squeeze and a little wiggling should pop the end off.

IMG_0574.JPEG

Next I placed my cap sideways in the vice and used a small pry bar to pry up on the last two spirals on the spring. Work the two spirals upwards until they pop off. I did not have issues with the spring going flying but take care just in case. The metal cap lock is held on by the spring so it should come off at this point too.

IMG_0575.JPEG

Pry the rubber washer out of the cap with a small screw driver or pick. Mine was as hard as plastic. You should have a bunch of parts like this:

IMG_0576.JPEG

Using the old washer as a template I cut a new seal from a sheet of rubber of the same thickness:
IMG_0577.JPEG

Place the metal cap lock back on like this:

IMG_0578.JPEG

Using a 10mm deep socket and my vice I pressed the spring back on. If your 10mm has run away an 11mm works too :)

IMG_0579.JPEG

Run the vice in until the two end spirals seat back into the grove on the dip stick portion. Be aware that the plastic dip stick does not bind in the socket and break. I kept a hand on it to wiggle a little to make sure it moved in smoothly.

IMG_0580.JPEG

Remove from the vice and snap the plastic end back on.
IMG_0581.JPEG

I test fit this on my reservoir and it clamps down and feels the same as the new cap I just bought. Will hang on to this one for a spare.

This sort of fix is done all the time in third world/developing countries where new parts are hard to find and relatively expensive. And when the world economy falls apart everyone will be fixing their stuff like this.

Making due with what you have, that is true ingenuity. We could all learn to do more of that. Bravo.

Nice write-up and pics!

I have done similar in the past and can appreciate the time and effort placed into this.

Nice job!

PascoScout,

Say, if you have the remnant of that rubber sheet you used to cut the gasket, could you slap some calipers on it and give me a thickness to shoot for? I'm headed out this weekend to get stuck in the backcountry in deep snow with a buddy and his built Jeep. I'm sure I'll be near boiling my PS under those conditions and it's been leaking a bit for years, so I better get this squared away. Conversely, I don't want to pry it apart and destroy the hard seal only to find out I can't get silicone sheet that thickness, or somesuch. If I know the thickness, I'll get some before opening the cap up, avoiding my usual MO which would be to try fixing something hours before departure and ending up incapacitating the vehicle!! Thanks.

PascoScout,

Say, if you have the remnant of that rubber sheet you used to cut the gasket, could you slap some calipers on it and give me a thickness to shoot for? I'm headed out this weekend to get stuck in the backcountry in deep snow with a buddy and his built Jeep. I'm sure I'll be near boiling my PS under those conditions and it's been leaking a bit for years, so I better get this squared away. Conversely, I don't want to pry it apart and destroy the hard seal only to find out I can't get silicone sheet that thickness, or somesuch. If I know the thickness, I'll get some before opening the cap up, avoiding my usual MO which would be to try fixing something hours before departure and ending up incapacitating the vehicle!! Thanks.
Calipers say 0.130", guessing its probably sold as 1/8". I got it on McMaster Carr if I recall correctly.

Thanks a bunch. Just going to head to the dollar store. A lot of kitchen things nowadays are made of silicone and I'll probably find a $3 something with enough material. Good day to you, sir.

This is such a stupid waste of time. I will be doing it this weekend.

Heh. So I found a silicone food container that was about 1/8" thick for $6 at Kohls. Your instructions worked a treat, kind sir! I got a bit careless reinstalling the spring and the 10mm socket rode against one side and gouged the black plastic shaft a bit, but it didn't matter. I even saved the container by using the lid. Then, at the last second as I was going to cut it out of the center of the lid, I thought "wait - if I make a hole against one edge, I could drive with this full of almonds or M&M Peanuts or something and easily finger them out a couple at a time. So, I got a custom made spill-proof snack bowl with manly portions (holds a half pound) out of the deal!!! Hereafter dubbed the "Pasco snack bowl..". Here's a picture, maybe this brand is even on Amazon, dunno:

IMG_3960.jpeg

And, to add to the knowledge base, the gasket is 52.5mm in dia, with a 27mm hole in the middle. Plenty of slop on those dimensions as its held securely and larger dia than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Calipers say 0.130", guessing its probably sold as 1/8". I got it on McMaster Carr if I recall correctly.

Any reason other then it leaking for the rebuild? Curious if a deteriorated gasket might cause a suction of air and introduce it to the steering system. Just a thought no proof behind my two cents.

Just the leak. If your intake manifold is all oily, and everything below it is too, likely the cap seal. The reservoir system probably gets mildly pressurized just due to heat expansion, which his how it ends up on your engine. Once you do this simple thing, 15 minutes with a rag and brake cleaner and then you can wait a while and see if you have a hose leaking. I suspect many incorrectly replace hoses due to the cap burping PS fluid....

• Gasket Material Available at Autozone.
  • Use 2 Layers of Gasket - Fit is very Nice.
  • Make sure you use the Correct Pliers for Disassembly, else the OEM Police Scold ya.
  • Existing Gasket had Zero Flex - See Pic
  • Trace Old Gasket with Sharpie
  • Cut out and Take your Lines to Ensure Good Fit - Mine Looks oem. Gasket it thin so you can cut Right to Line.
  • Vice was not needed to remove spring. Flat Screwdriver and Pry both sides back and Forth.
  • Clean the Reservoir and Cap with Degreaser not Brake Clean. Brake Clean removes the Paint - Don't be Me.
  • Make sure Power Steering Fluid (ATF) is Candy Apple Colored and Clear. If not change it. I use Full Synthetic Valvoline from China*Mart

Literally a 5 Minute Job - Wish I did it much Sooner.

71552679254__50AE4E10-885F-44DB-98F5-B904223E5587.jpeg
    71552606182__09052D1D-6FF9-4FE2-AF20-A477FADFFF2B.jpeg
    71552606938__DBD8A6E6-AEDA-46E3-B2A3-B3B6C142D6A7.jpeg
    71552574164__23A21A27-676C-4C11-9C77-2F249DB28C9F.jpeg

IMG_7438.jpeg
    Autzone FelPro Gskt Material.JPG

• Make sure you use the Correct Pliers for Disassembly, else the OEM Police Scold ya.
  • Cut out and Take your Lines to Ensure Good Fit - Mine Looks oem. Gasket it thin so you can cut Right to Line.
  • Vice was not needed to remove spring. Flat Screwdriver and Pry both sides back and Forth.
  • Clean the Reservoir and Cap with Degreaser not Brake Clean. Brake Clean removes the Paint - Don't be Me.
  • Make sure Power Steering Fluid (ATF) is Candy Apple Colored and Clear. If not change it. I use Full Synthetic Valvoline from China*Mart

View attachment 3419406View attachment 3419407View attachment 3419408View attachment 3419409

View attachment 3419411View attachment 3419413

Not OEM plug wires. Has your head gasket blown yet?

Not OEM plug wires. Has your head gasket blown yet?
Good Eye!

NGK $45 and Japanese or $115+ for OEM Yamazakis

There is a Resistance Check Per the FSM if your Worried.

Head Gasket is OEM and when it goes it will get ARP Studs.

Just saying that the EGR on Cyliner 6 is not Dumping Hot Exhaust into the Cylinder.

View attachment 3419406View attachment 3419407View attachment 3419408View attachment 3419409

View attachment 3419411View attachment 3419413
Just curious, did this solve the issue with PS fluid leaking from the cap ?

Haven't rebuilt a PS cap (yet) but I'm sure it worked

New caps are available (44305-35010) but list price is ~$50 just for the cap. It's more fun and cheaper to buy a sheet of 1/8" BUNA reinforced rubber and do-it-yourself. The left over rubber sheet can be used for other projects. Look for fabric reinforced rubber that's resistant to hydraulic oil and with a max heat range of ~ 220'F.

There may be other sites that have a better price but you get what you pay for. Example: this BUNA reinforced rubber sheet is made in the USA:

Nice work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom