Post up what you pedal (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

8 month process from ordering frame/components to assembling in my basement, including buying the tools to assemble. First bike build. Happy with the outcome. Out riding while I’m on call.

View attachment 3523724

Those are some fat tires. What pressure do you run in those?

Those are some fat tires. What pressure do you run in those?
12-17 psi. I’m a heavy rider(300+). So my shock/tire pressures are on the higher side.

Picked up another old school GT Zaskar LE in San Diego. took the train to pick it up.
shocks need a rebuild but for the most part bike is in good shape.

View attachment 3462935

Man, that was my DREAM bike when I was 16. Saved like crazy to buy one, and when I finally had the $$$ I test rode one and.... I didn't like it. The LBS guys had me ride a couple of Gary Fishers, and I wound up getting a '98 Mt Tam with a few upgrades (wheels, fork guts, handlebar) instead.

I have been on the lookout for a Ibis Ti Mojo for a few years, but those are rare, and the people who have them know what they have.

Transition scout!

20240127_101408.jpg

Pickup another classic GT Zaskar LE.
This one is pretty straight and clean.
The Judy front shocks are collapsed but that’s a easy fix.
Nice, that was my first ever bike I took out on the trails and started me down this 2 wheel obsession path. I hated that bike so much lol. I think it was undersized tho.

Nice, that was my first ever bike I took out on the trails and started me down this 2 wheel obsession path. I hated that bike so much lol. I think it was undersized tho.
Yeah I get that from peeps that it’s a love hate relationship with this bike.
Some love them some hate them.
I have a 20 inch GT bike which is rather tall.
This one is a 18 or 19 I actually forgot and it feels good.
I had another GT Zaskar in the burgundy that was 18 that was a good size bike but that got ripped off.
And one I gave away to a local kid.

I like my bikes like I like my landcruisers......bontraeger with suntour xc pro (thumbshifters) with substitution of an old mavic sealed bottom bracket....and a pile of parts to keep it working the rest of my life.

Also have a custom hollands mtn (reynolds 531) and road bike (reynolds 753) similarly equipped.

He made great frames back in the day

bombproof

I like my bikes like I like my landcruisers......bontraeger with suntour xc pro (thumbshifters) with substitution of an old mavic sealed bottom bracket....and a pile of parts to keep it working the rest of my life.

Also have a custom hollands mtn (reynolds 531) and road bike (reynolds 753) similarly equipped.

He made great frames back in the day

bombproof
The 1983 Trek 800 MTB I posted a few pages ago is made out of Reynolds 531, at least the main triangle, and boy is it whippy. I kind of like it though, it feels kind of soft and alive. Once upon a time I had an 80s Cannondale triathlon bike and that thing was super stiff which felt kind of characterless. I’d much rather ride a wet noodle these days, hence the 1.5” smooth tires. My body needs the cushion haha. I also had a Handsome XOXO for a while - a copy of a Bridgestone XO-1. That was all Reynolds 753 and was kind of in the middle. Stiffer than 531 but not lifeless. I’d take something with 753 again in a heartbeat.

The 1983 Trek 800 MTB I posted a few pages ago is made out of Reynolds 531, at least the main triangle, and boy is it whippy. I kind of like it though, it feels kind of soft and alive. Once upon a time I had an 80s Cannondale triathlon bike and that thing was super stiff which felt kind of characterless. I’d much rather ride a wet noodle these days, hence the 1.5” smooth tires. My body needs the cushion haha. I also had a Handsome XOXO for a while - a copy of a Bridgestone XO-1. That was all Reynolds 753 and was kind of in the middle. Stiffer than 531 but not lifeless. I’d take something with 753 again in a heartbeat.

Bridgestone made a lot of great bikes in the 90's

Still have one of these set up with a mix of mavic and suntour .....anyone remember sun tours command shifters?

Super comfortable bike to ride longer distances on. I took it on vacation/friends wedding out in portland and rode it from beaverton to lincoln city and back in a very long day, first time I saw pacific.

Cannondale makes great bikes but they are very stiff and long day on one feels even longer

2015-11-28_16.08.04.jpg

Yeah, I have a 2005 Carbon fiber Specialized Roubiax comp road bike with elastometers integrated on the forks and side bars. I can definitely feel the flex and sponginess while I ride. completely different than the GT's.

Still have one of these set up with a mix of mavic and suntour .....anyone remember sun tours command shifters?

Super comfortable bike to ride longer distances on. I took it on vacation/friends wedding out in portland and rode it from beaverton to lincoln city and back in a very long day, first time I saw pacific.

Cannondale makes great bikes but they are very stiff and long day on one feels even longer

2015-11-28_16.08.04.jpg
An RB-1! The jewel in Bridgestone’s crown. Never ridden one but have come close to buying one a few times. The head of Bridgestone at the time was Grant Peterson who went on to start Rivendell after he was [possibly] fired. The XO-1 was his attempt at making something completely unconventional with a bunch of ideas that were floating around in his head. Sort of a cross between a road bike and a rigid MTB - road bike geometry with a high bottom bracket, shorter top tube, and a fork rake a little more like an MTB. It came stock with Nitto Mustache bars and bar end shifters. My Handsome XOXO was a pretty true clone and was a blast to ride - nimble, great for long days in the saddle, great on light rocks and on pavement. I’m still a huge fan of mustache style or swept bars with bar end shifters, it’s so ergonomic. My Trek is set up that same way to this day. It has Soma Oxford bars which have a slightly relaxed shape versus the Nitto Mustache bars which are a pretty tight curve. They’re drilled for bar end shifters and the outer diameter takes MTB brake levers. In the normal riding position you barely have to move your hands, unless you want a different hand position and there’s 2-3 of those.

Here’s a few photos of XO-1s I found on the internet. In comparison my bars are flipped upwards and the brake levers are mounted towards the end of the bars versus up from on the XO. I’ve really been chasing a longer wheelbase & higher steering trail version of this since I owned the Handsome, and that’s what the Trek gives me.
322671B3-9717-427E-A3AA-6C1DEC7D3B84.jpeg

D714EADA-82C4-4344-9E20-593CCE267797.jpeg

2015-11-28_16.08.04.jpg
Nice clean vintage bike! Steel frames last forever and I agree they are super confortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom